mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What are they generally like? Pros and cons? What's the catered food like? :ninja:

I'm trying to choose my order of preference for the intercolls, so I thought it would be helpful to hear from anyone who knows more about them than I do myself

Thaaanks.

EDIT: I thought it would be a good idea to write the prices out here for reference (for others who are having a look) because price could be a deciding factor.

Commonwealth Hall: £5069.70
Hughes Parry Hall: £5069.70
International Hall: £5366.40
Nutford House: £5069.70
Canterbury Hall: £5508.30
Connaught Hall: £5069.70
College Hall: £6140.40
Lillian Pearson: £5495.40
talktofrank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The people I know seemed to have a good time at Canterbury. You do meet a lot of people, one problem is that if you're out and try to arrange a 'packed' dinner or something to replace your catered meal then sometimes they give you a bit of hassle. Generally heard good things about Canterbury though.
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by talktofrank)
The people I know seemed to have a good time at Canterbury. You do meet a lot of people, one problem is that if you're out and try to arrange a 'packed' dinner or something to replace your catered meal then sometimes they give you a bit of hassle. Generally heard good things about Canterbury though.
They put food away for you if you're not going to be there to eat it? :ninja:
talktofrank
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well you don't get the same thing as everyone else would have got, but you can arrange for a packed lunch to be made for you. If you're not there to sign for it at a particular time they get a bit arsey though!
mel0n
Rep:
?
Ooohh okay :lolwut: Thanks haha!
mel0n
Rep:
?
Bump :o:
partoftheweekend
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Intercollegiate halls are quality. Great mix of people, great locations. My 2 favourites would be:

College Hall: newly refurbished, nicest rooms, most central (also veeery expensive now, so you might end up with a bunch of rahs...). Was quality the year I was there though.

Connaught Hall: also very close, has nearly as nice rooms BUT is the only hall with a bar.

If you can get to London just go and have a look at them.

And you can go on the site and go on the virtual tours if you want to see what they look like.
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by partoftheweekend)
Intercollegiate halls are quality. Great mix of people, great locations. My 2 favourites would be:

College Hall: newly refurbished, nicest rooms, most central (also veeery expensive now, so you might end up with a bunch of rahs...). Was quality the year I was there though.

Connaught Hall: also very close, has nearly as nice rooms BUT is the only hall with a bar.

If you can get to London just go and have a look at them.

And you can go on the site and go on the virtual tours if you want to see what they look like.
Do you mean generally really well off people or those from private schools? :ninja:

Is College Hall one that is situated slightly apart from the cluster of 6 intercolls?
partoftheweekend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
Do you mean generally really well off people or those from private schools? :ninja:

Is College Hall one that is situated slightly apart from the cluster of 6 intercolls?
Well to pay £175 or so a week for a room you're gonna have to be pretty well off, private school or not.

I don't think its apart from the cluster. By cluster I imagine you mean the garden halls, international, connaught, college. Its basically in UCL,ULU,SOAS. You physically cant really get any closer to the unis. Look on google maps for malet st and its at the UCL end of the road.

Anyway theres a load of information about each hall on here:
http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/student/Default.aspx

And you can also probably visit them all if you go to London, theyre within walking distance of each other.
mel0n
Rep:
?
(Original post by partoftheweekend)
Well to pay £175 or so a week for a room you're gonna have to be pretty well off, private school or not.

I don't think its apart from the cluster. By cluster I imagine you mean the garden halls, international, connaught, college. Its basically in UCL,ULU,SOAS. You physically cant really get any closer to the unis. Look on google maps for malet st and its at the UCL end of the road.

Anyway theres a load of information about each hall on here:
http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/student/Default.aspx

And you can also probably visit them all if you go to London, theyre within walking distance of each other.
Aaah, on the back of the KCL accommodation guide it shows 6 of them in a cluster and 2 that are slightly seperate, which is what I was referring to.

£175 a week :eek: I think I'm eligible for the full loan/grant but even then don't think I'd be able to cover that :afraid:.
partoftheweekend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
Aaah, on the back of the KCL accommodation guide it shows 6 of them in a cluster and 2 that are slightly seperate, which is what I was referring to.

£175 a week :eek: I think I'm eligible for the full loan/grant but even then don't think I'd be able to cover that :afraid:.
Yeah the 2 separate ones will probably be nutford house and that other place.

The cheapest single en-suites are around 140 in most the intercollegiates (but they're also catered, so you save at least 5 quid a day on food). College Hall will be 180+ for a single en-suite.

On a full loan/grant you'll have 4600 or so a year (i think?). 140*35 weeks is over 5000. = You need to get a job to subsidise. The Unions don't pay great but usually employ a lot of students, have very flexible hours and are really close.

If you go to Connaught you can even work in the in hall bar!
AliBlaire
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Trying to decide between College Hall, Garden Halls, and Connaught Hall for residency.
So what are these places like aside from prices? The food, atmosphere, quality of rooms, etc. I would prefer a place thats a bit quieter or that at least has solid walls, since I am a grad student and like to get a good nights sleep (aka, a loser).
And are the shared baths tolerable? I would prefer a private room but it is a bit pricier than I would like
I don't mind a small room, since it's just for a year.

So Opinions?
partoftheweekend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AliBlaire)
Trying to decide between College Hall, Garden Halls, and Connaught Hall for residency.
So what are these places like aside from prices? The food, atmosphere, quality of rooms, etc. I would prefer a place thats a bit quieter or that at least has solid walls, since I am a grad student and like to get a good nights sleep (aka, a loser).
And are the shared baths tolerable? I would prefer a private room but it is a bit pricier than I would like

So Opinions?
Most of the things you've mentioned aren't going to be factors you need to really consider. The atmosphere (and how quiet it is) will change year on year and also depend on things like your neighbours, what floor youre on etc etc. Food is standard, slightly better than school canteen food but not amazing and will be of similar quality across the different halls.

Im not sure about Garden Halls because I've only stayed there once (giggidy giggidy) but the rooms seemed ok, bit plain and slightly smaller than college hall. College Hall rooms are good because they've got a lot of shelve space, are newish, and are well laid out, have tonnes of plugs etc. Also if you dont get ensuite there because most of the rooms are ensuite you will only be sharing a bathroom with a few people. When I stayed at Connaught (giggidy giggidy goo) the rooms seemed very old school and sturdy, just looking at the building you can tell you will get pretty well built stuff. But they are weird shapes... And also there are more common rooms than Connaught and Garden Halls so there will probably be more noise on some of the floors.

Oh and if you dont want noise then half of college hall is around a square so you can hear **** out of your windows, specially if other people are playing music and stuff. Which is annoying. And some of the rooms are onto Malet st which can be noisy too. Connaught is in a slightly quieter place.
Beckettrose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
subscribes
La Songeuse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AliBlaire)

So Opinions?
I've never been in Connaught, so can't help you there... I stayed in Canterbury last year, and I visited College Hall quite bit.

Canterbury - my floor was VERY quiet - it has some fairly lively floors and quiet floors, though I think Canterbury maybe has a higher proportion of post-grad/international students than other halls. It'll be a bit quieter compared to other halls in my opinion.

Food - was pretty poor quite a lot of the time. I witnessed this with my own eyes - they served up custard WITH a fly in it 3 days one week. I know someone who's living in Canterbury this year, and she too dislikes the food. Also - the kitchens are not well equipped or big enough to cook in, so if you dislike the food, there's little chance of you cooking your own. Also - you have only a one hour window in which to eat your meals, eg. dinner is from 6-7, which is awkward at times with late tutorials, events etc

Rules - Canterbury is extremely strict! The receptionist ask to see your ID card all the time when you leave/enter the hall. If you want guests over, you have to sign them in. If you want someone to stay the night (you're only allowed ONE person - so no group friend sleepovers etc) you must sign them in BEFORE 11, and pay £1.50. If you do not sign them in by 11, they fine you £10.

College Hall - Very nice, newly decorated, it has a common room which is used significantly more than the common room at Canterbury (I don't know anyone who used the common room at Canterbury). They also organise lots of College Hall trips and events.

It seems to be livlier and have more spirit than Canterbury. I'm not sure about the food, as I've never tried to, but I didn't hear any complaints from anyone I knew who lived there. The meal times are more flexible and longer than those at Canterbury.

Rules - you only have to sign guests in, there are no time deadlines, nor do you have to pay to have guests stay over.

Hope this helps, it's quite long!
Beckettrose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone got any info on International?

I'm particularly worried about how strict they are going to be, though apparently college hall isnt too strict (as posted above) and thats one of the ones im considering....
partoftheweekend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Beckettrose)
Anyone got any info on International?

I'm particularly worried about how strict they are going to be, though apparently college hall isnt too strict (as posted above) and thats one of the ones im considering....
A lot of the strictness stuff will be to do with the people who work at the security entrances or whatever. If they're sound and you don't abuse the system they wont really care if you bring people in.

Also make friends with them, if youre going to sainsburys/tesco ask them if they want anything Will work wonders when you want to sign 10 people in.
AliBlaire
Report 9 years ago
College Hall is really looking like the leader here
reneewe
Report 9 years ago
Hi i'll just jump in.. what about the food at college hall? Is there a fixed weekly menu?
partoftheweekend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by reneewe)
Hi i'll just jump in.. what about the food at college hall? Is there a fixed weekly menu?
Its pretty similar every week, for example there might be fish and chips every Friday, sunday roast on sunday... or something but another day might change. You'll quickly learn whats good and whats not. Fry up every morning = win.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed