The Student Room Group

Regarding GOD

<On request from readers, I have tried to clean up this post a little>

I must say I find quiet interesting that people argue in favour of god's existance. God's existance appears to have no real justification , except a few semi-logicall arguments which could equally well be modified to work as counterarguments.

It appears to me, although i do not like to offend anyone, that people argue in favour of GOD's existance, not because they have any real reason to beleive that GOD exists, but rather because they WANT GOD to exist. The logical arguments in favour of a GOD does not really imply the existance of a sentinent being. It could equally well be an imaginarry rock, one tried to prove the existance of.

Yet, noone tries to argue in favour of the existance of this imaginary rock. Of course, some argue in favour of god, just in order to explore logic and its consequences, but those who really claim to BELEIVE in GOD seem to do so because of personal emotional reasons rather than any real reasonable argument. GOD exists, not because it makes sense, but because it would be nice if that was the case.

I also find it remarkable how religion manage to pinpoint the accurate nature of a GOD when it is in fact impossible to even show that a GOD exist at all. Religions have detailed descriptions of GOD and his/her actions and wishes, even though the existance of GOD is in the first place improvable. Acourding to the Bible God created man kind in his own image. Id say it was the opposite way around. Man kind created God in man kinds image.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jonatan
I must say I find quiet interesting that people argue in favour of gods existance. Gods existance appears to have no real justification , except a few semi-logicall arguments which could equally well be modified to work as counterarguments. It appears to me, although i do not like to offend anyone, that people argue in favour of GOD's existance, not because they have any real reason to beleive that GOD exists, but rather because they WANT GOD to exist. The logical arguments in favour of a GOD does not really imply the existance of a sentinent being. It could equally well be an imaginarry rock, one tried to prove the existance of. Yet, noone tries to argue in favour of the existance of this imaginary rock. Of course, some argue in favour of god, just in order to explore logic and its consequences, butthose who really claim to BELEIVE in GOD seem to do so because of personal emotional reasons rather than any real reasonable argument. GOD exists, not because it makes sense, but because it would be nice if that was the case. I also find it remarkable how religion manage to pinpoint the accurate nature of a GOD when it is in fact impossible to even show that a GOD exist at all. Religions have detailed descriptions of GOD and his/her actions and wishes, even though the existance of GOD is in the first place improvable. Acourding to the Bible God created man kind in his own image. Id say it was the opposite way around. Man kind created God in man kinds image.

Well said. So the big crunch. Do you believe in god?
Reply 2

yes...i also believe in no sex b4 marriage :wink:
Reply 3
Yeah. Personally I don't see any reasons why it would be nice if there was a God though.
Reply 4
Jonatan
I must say I find quiet interesting that people argue in favour of gods existance. Gods existance appears to have no real justification , except a few semi-logicall arguments which could equally well be modified to work as counterarguments. It appears to me, although i do not like to offend anyone, that people argue in favour of GOD's existance, not because they have any real reason to beleive that GOD exists, but rather because they WANT GOD to exist. The logical arguments in favour of a GOD does not really imply the existance of a sentinent being. It could equally well be an imaginarry rock, one tried to prove the existance of. Yet, noone tries to argue in favour of the existance of this imaginary rock. Of course, some argue in favour of god, just in order to explore logic and its consequences, butthose who really claim to BELEIVE in GOD seem to do so because of personal emotional reasons rather than any real reasonable argument. GOD exists, not because it makes sense, but because it would be nice if that was the case. I also find it remarkable how religion manage to pinpoint the accurate nature of a GOD when it is in fact impossible to even show that a GOD exist at all. Religions have detailed descriptions of GOD and his/her actions and wishes, even though the existance of GOD is in the first place improvable. Acourding to the Bible God created man kind in his own image. Id say it was the opposite way around. Man kind created God in man kinds image.

the Bible is not the only definition of God, nor those who believe God a character. God is existence, the being, God is us. God is one. The Dharma, the total, the whole. Past the physical, past all judging and whatnot. God does not want, nor does God existing offer any hope, as all the hope we need lies in the fact that we don't need any hope at all, because existence itself proves enough.
Reply 5

Given that the probability of being correct among an infinite number of equally justified possibilities is an infinite against one, I must say no.
Reply 6
and why was that thread closed?
Reply 7
I agree with most of what you're saying, even the fact that god was created as an image of man kind. However, until anyone can disproove the existence of god (a mathematical equation previously formed by Homer Simpson) then everyone is entitled to believe what they like. Where did the particles that formed the big bang come from? No-one knows, a lot of things are still unexplained and if people think god can provide an answer to that then fair enough (hmmm..but then who invented god?)
Reply 8
Here here! :smile: well said Jon.
Reply 9

maybe they feel something present and watching over them
Reply 10
and one of the most ludicrous arguments is the watchmaker. i can't believe people fall for that crap.
Reply 11
Jonatan
Given that the probability of being correct among an infinite number of equally justified possibilities is an infinite against one, I must say no.

Thats good, cause thats what I feel as well. I'm more for an animalistic approach
Reply 12
interesting post jonatan, though you could learn the virtue of paragraphing :wink:
Reply 13
elpaw
and one of the most ludicrous arguments is the watchmaker. i can't believe people fall for that crap.

Hah! The watchmaker, my RS teacher was like "this is the most convincing argument for god etc" and I was like well? When she told me that, I was like HAH HAH HAH, that was a pathetic argument...
Reply 14
emmz
It appears to me, although i do not like to offend anyone, that people argue in favour of GOD's existance, not because they have any real reason to beleive that GOD exists, but rather because they WANT GOD to exist.

Well you can't just say this. You have to first tell us what God is to you. There are many definitions.
Reply 15
caz
the Bible is not the only definition of God, nor those who believe God a character. God is existence, the being, God is us. God is one. The Dharma, the total, the whole. Past the physical, past all judging and whatnot. God does not want, nor does God existing offer any hope, as all the hope we need lies in the fact that we don't need any hope at all, because existence itself proves enough.

Was there a point or a meaning in what you just said? If so, I must have missed it.
Reply 16
edders
interesting post jonatan, though you could learn the virtue of paragraphing :wink:

Yes please paragraph it - it'll be so much easier to read and people will be more willing to!
Reply 17
Jonatan
...butthose...

lol you might want to put a space in there
Reply 18
emmz

and maybe there is, we will not know until someone provides conclusive evidence (whatever that would be I don't know). In the meantime if anyone comes up with one on this thread, I'll ring 'The Times' and we'll get in touch with 'The Guardian' in the morning.
Reply 19
edders

edders, are you being drawn in to a discussion about god after all??!

Latest

Trending

Trending