This discussion is closed.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
and one of the most ludicrous arguments is the watchmaker. i can't believe people fall for that crap.
i havent heard that one, give me a precis
caz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Was there a point or a meaning in what you just said? If so, I must have missed it.
You said "him/her" and rambled on about God not being able to be proved existing, when in reality, existence exists. This we all know, and God, also referred to as Dharma in Bhuddist philosophy, as the total, the whole, or existence itself. The being. Me, you. Being

Proving God exists to feel better would be like denying you exist. I'm sorry if you fail to consider other people's philosophy, but I don't consider the traditional Biblical interpretations by the Catholic or Protestant churches to be very relevant to God as a historical truth...
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
is that a sarcastic one?
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
edders, are you being drawn in to a discussion about god after all??!
heh on this thread maybe, i just wanted to keep my academia thread on topic
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
is that a sarcastic one?
i dont use the smiley for sarcastic purposes, so no. i use :rolleyes: when i need to make sarcasm obvious.
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
and one of the most ludicrous arguments is the watchmaker. i can't believe people fall for that crap.
I agree. People develop their own watchguard in their mind, and this is often the cause of various personality disorders. All of which protected by the traditional religious teachings, which teach that all the rules it gives you are the words of God, which people repeat in their head as if this is God himself, judging them...when in reality, it is merely their self. God does not judge...only people judge, and this hides potential. I believe
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
Basically argument from design. i.e. if someone picks up a watch on the beach, you would know that it was designed by a "maker" as it has brass gears, and a transparent face for the time to be looked at etc. and not just created from the stone etc.

And thus did Thomas Paley conclude that therefore because we are designed perfectly, as in eyes for seeing etc. we must have had a maker.
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Basically argument from design. i.e. if someone picks up a watch on the beach, you would know that it was designed by a "maker" as it has brass gears, and a transparent face for the time to be looked at etc. and not just created from the stone etc.

And thus did Thomas Paley conclude that therefore because we are designed perfectly, as in eyes for seeing etc. we must have had a maker.
huh.... are you SURE....
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
You said "him/her" and rambled on about God not being able to be proved existing, when in reality, existence exists. This we all know, and God, also referred to as Dharma in Bhuddist philosophy, as the total, the whole, or existence itself. The being. Me, you. Being

Proving God exists to feel better would be like denying you exist. I'm sorry if you fail to consider other people's philosophy, but I don't consider the traditional Biblical interpretations by the Catholic or Protestant churches to be very relevant to God as a historical truth...
Does the concept of solipsism sound familiar to you? Existance is far from obvious, except for teh existance of ME! Of course, to you , it is probably YOUR existance that is obvious, whereas MY existance is more doubtable. It is a little bit weird how one can imagine what the world would be lik without oneself seen from that perspective...
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Does the concept of solipsism sound familiar to you? Existance is far from obvious, except for teh existance of ME! Of course, to you , it is probably YOUR existance that is obvious, whereas MY existance is more doubtable. It is a little bit weird how one can imagine what the world would be lik without oneself seen from that perspective...
existence does not need company, so i dont know what you're getting at
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Basically argument from design...
ah yeah, i know the one. seems a bit naff to me.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
existence does not need company, so i dont know what you're getting at
Well, if I were to use words without presuming readers would understand which defenition I was reffering to I would have to define every concept I ever write about. Then I would have to define the defenitions etc etc. Therefore, I just was sleezy enough to post the message and let those people who wanted to discuss the same defenition as I did to answer. Of course, if one uses a different defenition, the discussion becomes meaningless as it no longer applies to the topic.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
huh.... are you SURE....
exactly. that's why it's ludicrous.
NeuroticSurgeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The issue of God. Interesting.

Firstly, I agree that the arguments for the existence of God are extremely fallible. Secondly, I believe in God. I'll give you my definition of God:

There is a Great Spirit; Brahman, and every living organism is a part of this Great Spirit. My personal view of the Great Spirit is panentheistic in the belief that that which is made of nature and is preserved by nature is a part of it. Therefore the Great Spirit is immanent, for nature cannot not exist without it. The Great Spirit is necessary – there is no possibility of it not existing.

The Universal Soul may be immanent, but it is also immutable in the true sense of the word. So, although nature appears ever changing and in constant flux, and so does the universe as the parts of the whole, this does not suggest that the whole itself is ever changing and in constant flux. Therefore, although the universe is in constant flux and changing shape every milli-second, the universe is only a part of the Great Spirit. The Great Spirit is thus transcendent, for there are other parts of it that are not part of our universe and yet it is also immanent, for much of it is present in nature.

Nature is crucial to our perception and view of Brahman. Effectively, everything that we can experience is natural, because if it were not, it would not exist. Even man-made things are intrinsically natural, for man (who is natural), with the use of natural resources created that which is man made. Nature is the mirror with which humanity can create reflections and see a reflection of good and evil.

That's my definition of God (long), but I must emphasise that most people will acknowledge that God is a matter of faith rather than something that can be "proved". The "other" two 'arguments' - the Argument from the Moral and the Experience perspective recognise that it is indeed a matter of faith. It is true that people believe in God because they want to, but looking at it from an objective view, that makes no difference to the "proof" for the existence of God. Our moral concepts, our religious beliefs can be seriously called into question, but the existence of God in itself cannot from that point.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves, "Where did this idea of God come from?". I find it somewhat simplistic to say "Our concept of God is the God of the Gaps" and that is that. Remember, that if God really was a God of the Gaps, He would be an impersonal God, that was just "up there" and created us. But over time, this God has a personality, it is a personal God and yet still transcendent. Another thing that suggests that it is not all that simple is that many cultures, untouched by each other, have all had some sort of concept of religion and of God. So I do think it's a lot more complicated than just saying God is there because people wanted him to be there. Marx, Nietzsche and Freud's suggestions for the existence of God are all fascinating, but I find them all a little simplistic and unsatisfactory. I suppose it's better than going the Bertrand Russell way and just calling everything a "brute fact".
not1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, if I were to use words without presuming readers would understand which defenition I was reffering to I would have to define every concept I ever write about. Then I would have to define the defenitions etc etc. Therefore, I just was sleezy enough to post the message and let those people who wanted to discuss the same defenition as I did to answer. Of course, if one uses a different defenition, the discussion becomes meaningless as it no longer applies to the topic.
uhuh
NeuroticSurgeon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And to 2776 - it's not Thomas Paley - it's William Paley . Just trivia but felt you should know anyway.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
And to 2776 - it's not Thomas Paley - it's William Paley . Just trivia but felt you should know anyway.
Yes, thats the name! I was wondering who would spot my mistake

My GCSE knowledge is seeping faster than I thought...
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, thats the name! I was wondering who would spot my mistake

My GCSE knowledge is seeping faster than I thought...
what grdaea do you take GSCE's in....?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
what grdaea do you take GSCE's in....?
I got an A*, but still I am kicking myself, should have known that...
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I got an A*, but still I am kicking myself, should have known that...
no how old are you when you take GSCE's?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads