Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Why not?

Doesn't it strike you that if there can be one God, there might be two, three, or maybe a million?
    well then you're wrong surely?

and you were comparing believers and non believers, i was just giving my opinion on which was generally more arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    well then you're wrong surely?

and you were comparing believers and non believers, i was just giving my opinion on which was generally more arrogant.
    Wrong about what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Wrong about what?
    god. christians claim there is one god, buddhists claim there are more. how can both be right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    god. christians claim there is one god, buddhists claim there are more. how can both be right?
    I really don't think it matters what christians and buddhists think. If there is a God (I'll keep it "singular" for simplicity") he probably spends most of his day pissing himself laughing at the various interptetations humankind have given him.

Actually, I imagine God, if he does exist, is a bit too BIG to worry about it very much.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say first that I am not writing the reply to convince anybody that God is real... but instead to highlight few logical ideas to the idea that there is something greater in the universe:

I believe that the world is too perfect and works too well to not have a designer. However this is not my main point. The fundamental reason why I believe in a great being; because there is an infinite number of ways that we could exist. Why is red what it is? Why do we see colours. People are often limited to think only as they see. Think of why everything exists as it is...why does it exist as matter...why does matter it exist? What does anything exist? Should there be nothing? What would nothing be like? All of this shows us that a path was chosen, where the rules of life act. Somewhere, somehow, everything was given a form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)
    I have to say first that I am not writing the reply to convince anybody that God is real... but instead to highlight few logical ideas to the idea that there is something greater in the universe:

I believe that the world is too perfect and works too well to not have a designer. However this is not my main point. The fundamental reason why I believe in a great being; because there is an infinite number of ways that we could exist. Why is red what it is? Why do we see colours. People are often limited to think only as they see. Think of why everything exists as it is...why does it exist as matter...why does matter it exist? What does anything exist? Should there be nothing? What would nothing be like? All of this shows us that a path was chosen, where the rules of life act. Somewhere, somehow, everything was given a form.
    chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    <On request from readers, I have tried to clean up this post a little>

I must say I find quiet interesting that people argue in favour of god's existance. God's existance appears to have no real justification , except a few semi-logicall arguments which could equally well be modified to work as counterarguments.

It appears to me, although i do not like to offend anyone, that people argue in favour of GOD's existance, not because they have any real reason to beleive that GOD exists, but rather because they WANT GOD to exist. The logical arguments in favour of a GOD does not really imply the existance of a sentinent being. It could equally well be an imaginarry rock, one tried to prove the existance of.

Yet, noone tries to argue in favour of the existance of this imaginary rock. Of course, some argue in favour of god, just in order to explore logic and its consequences, but those who really claim to BELEIVE in GOD seem to do so because of personal emotional reasons rather than any real reasonable argument. GOD exists, not because it makes sense, but because it would be nice if that was the case.

I also find it remarkable how religion manage to pinpoint the accurate nature of a GOD when it is in fact impossible to even show that a GOD exist at all. Religions have detailed descriptions of GOD and his/her actions and wishes, even though the existance of GOD is in the first place improvable. Acourding to the Bible God created man kind in his own image. Id say it was the opposite way around. Man kind created God in man kinds image.
    To be honest I don't know what to believe in religion. What is that called again atheist isn't it? Or is that where you don't believe? I can't remember.

Albert Einstein said "God does not play dice."

Albert Einstein also disputed string theory.

If I had a point when I started writing this, I certainly don't have one now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaft)

obviously you arent taking into account the fact that the continuum is so infintely big that somewhere, everthing that obeys the laws of the physical world exists. so 'life' is ineveitable. creationism is a poorly formed argument for religion- just because something looks designed, doesn't mean it is.

ReputationRep:
    in the end, people are just going to keep arguing about this over and over in an endless cycle... this isnt a suitable thread because no matter what lengths you believe in God or not, this will go on between strong believers and athiests... :confused:

Looking back you probably might realise that you have just repeated something somebody else has said, and the same with others, so there isnt much point really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Not another religion thread... cant we just agree to disagree. No one will ever sway another to change their position, even though religion is so obviously stupid.

And just to talk about the hell/heaven thing..it is so stupid. Even if a person leads a perfect life, helps out his fellow man and does the right thing he will still go to hell because he did not accept jesus. Give me a break stop trying to explain the unknown with a 2000 year old fable about a long haired arab

Well, then I wont be seeing you in the after-life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    You find it "interesting" and "amusing" to insult other peoples beliefs?!

I didnt say "why cant you realise that God exists", did i? well, not at first, but then you started to ask questions like...'How can you be sure that your God exists?', 'The fact is, you have no proof that your god exists, so therefore it doesnt exist.'

You started to say this, so i had no choice but to defend my beliefs. Then you say i expect others to believe? I didnt say that i wanted to convince others to believe, i was only saying that that is what I believe, and proving why i believe that God really exists.

In other words seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All_about_me90)
    In other words seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing.
    You said it. Not me.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.