Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    (i say my comp kos 95% of the time i use it, but it is not technically mine)
    No, cause it belongs to the shop down the road. And you are just happening to use it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    LOL, I hope so, but I doubt it. Bill Gates filled a market hole when he developed Windows, but now there's no such hole which is fillable by one lone person working on an O/S like I'm doing (and he did). You'd need a very large team and heap loads of cash to even come close to rivaling Windows (however many problems it may have). I write my O/S purely to learn and for my own pleasure; I don't intend to make any money off of it! In fact, I plan on making it open-source in the relatively near future, so watch this space!
    Freeware? At least it will spread quicker that way. I think it would be very difficult for anyone to rival windows, Bill Gates would probably send a virus via Internet Explorer mimicking 'Ctrl-Alt-Del'! By the way, you've got one of the best quotes in your sig on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    i use windows xp on my laptop im using to write this, and windows ME on my desktop one. i hate ME, always crashes. damn you Bill Gates, sorry.....

(i say my comp kos 95% of the time i use it, but it is not technically mine)
    ME is spawn of the devil. It's just Windows 98 with extra bugs IMO. Windows XP on the other hand is functionally very good, but I like to be able to compile my own kernel...

ReputationRep:
    The poll supports more than one selection.

Yes Windows 2003 Server is an O/S. I will attempt to add Windows Server O/Ss to the poll, but I didn't think anyone here would have a reason (nor the cash) to acquire one!
    you can order 120 day trials from microsoft!

ive got windows 2000 (advanced) on a server, slackware 9/BSD 4.7 on another box, and winxp pro on my main rig.

ReputationRep:
    no, its technically the family comps, but i use it 95% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Freeware? At least it will spread quicker that way. I think it would be very difficult for anyone to rival windows, Bill Gates would probably send a virus via Internet Explorer mimicking 'Ctrl-Alt-Del'! By the way, you've got one of the best quotes in your sig on here.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)

ive got windows 2000 (advanced) on a server, slackware 9/BSD 4.7 on another box, and winxp pro on my main rig.
    What do you use your server for?

Mines Win. 2003 Server

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and can disable the 120-day trial by replacing one file. That was very stupid on MS' part. They even give it to you as a nice friendly ISO. I think you can even specify the number of CALs (Client Access Licenses) you wish to have for the trial! How about 99,999?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    What do you use your server for?

Mines Win. 2003 Server
    website crap, email, seti etc

its not on atm tho! i need to get some parts for it

ReputationRep:
    website crap, email, seti etc

its not on atm tho! i need to get some parts for it
    You do seti? I do this medicine thing on mine server about unravelling proteins etc.

ReputationRep:
    I use XP, but I've heard that Linux is supposed to be "better". Any further details? If it really is that much better then I would consider changing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and can disable the 120-day trial by replacing one file. That was very stupid on MS' part. They even give it to you as a nice friendly ISO. I think you can even specify the number of CALs (Client Access Licenses) you wish to have for the trial! How about 99,999?
    Doesn't this "non registered" windows fk up when you try to do "windows updates" on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    You do seti? I do this medicine thing on mine server about unravelling proteins etc.
    cool. i like the distributed computing ones with some use. better than the one to work out pi to a greater accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    98se

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    98se
    hey bhaal, will you beat up clark for me? 2776 wont!

anyway....it must show im not very technical! i dont understand any of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Doesn't this "non registered" windows fk up when you try to do "windows updates" on it?
    no, because microsoft are really quite dumb

if you use a trial, they want you to have the latest updates so that their software works (it could cost them if a demo server with trial windows was hacked!)

and if you crack a trial, it still looks like a trial to m$, so they dont notice.

ReputationRep:
    no, because microsoft are really quite dumb

if you use a trial, they want you to have the latest updates so that their software works (it could cost them if a demo server with trial windows was hacked!)

and if you crack a trial, it still looks like a trial to m$, so they dont notice.
    Damn, i tried using a fake ms but everytime i try to update it, it fks up the comp big time. So trials work did you say? And where can i get these trials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    I use XP, but I've heard that Linux is supposed to be "better". Any further details? If it really is that much better then I would consider changing.
    Depends on what you want. If you just use the computer for getting things done and don't care about paying for your software, go with MS XP/2003 products. They are functionally sound (despite what the anti-Gates bandwagon will tell you).

However, if you like fiddling and actually building your system yourself (i.e. computing is more of a passion for you than just a means to an end), go with something like Linux. For example, if I get a new piece of hardware which is not supported in Linux, I just write the driver and compile it into the kernel. With Windows this kind of DIY is not possible. Also Linux is the only viable option for O/S development, so is a reason why I pretty much have to use Linux over MS. I'm sure there are others. Also, if you can't afford MS products, go with Linux (or some other open-source O/S). Or perhaps if you just want to learn and understand what the computer's doing when you write that document or surf the net, WIndows is unlikely to teach you (which is fine for the majority of computer users).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Damn, i tried using a fake ms but everytime i try to update it, it fks up the comp big time. So trials work did you say? And where can i get these trials?
    what do you need a server for anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/technet/...evaluation.asp

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.