Turn on thread page Beta

Which revision guides are the best for the A2 year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The heading says it all :rolleyes:

Well, Im doing EDEXCEL and I will be starting A2 in september. Ive got NAS series, plus LETTS " A2 in a week" and NAS "Make the Grade"
    I really wanted to buy a CGP or phillip Alans A2 bio books.. but it seems that no bookshop in Oman has them.
    Has n e one used the 2 books mentioned above? R they fine to study A2 bio?

N e tips u guys want to add for studying or n e thng u feel like.. feel free to post

Thanks
    :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    philip allen past papers at the back are good practise, but the content is very poor.

ReputationRep:
    hey usman s if u make any notes on bio unit 4,5 n 6 then would u mind posting them here i badly need help in bio since i'm doin it maself , u no me i'm smahakim remember u answered me on another thread ? by the way i'm giving the exam in this jan 2005. imagine my nightmare i don't have anything except nas series which sux.

ReputationRep:
    would u plz reply quickly!

ReputationRep:
    i'm dying n i'm so scared.......xams only few months away!

ReputationRep:
    Well Im yet to start A2. So i'l need some time with making unit 4 notes.
    May b ur mistaken my name with someother usman. U can find excellent notes already posted by other ppal.Well If u still want my notes on unit 4, I will post them as soon as i prepare them fully.
    NAS series r not bad to be honest and get some revision guides which will help u.
    Or if i get late to make notes.. I'l scan up some pages from revision guides.
    Best of luck

I missed my A in bio by jus 2 marks... SO im resitting 2 modules 2 get my mark range more higher.. in a way good revision for the synoptic and helpful for the final grade.

ReputationRep:
    thank u so much!!!!!! n by the way i'm not mistaken ...or may b i am . but tell me 1 thing do u have a sis who has given her a2 xam last year? n ur teacher used 2 sit in the class n eat.........u've done AS bio urself ?!

ReputationRep:
    n oh yeah man u were so close ! wen these things happen i just feel like killin the xaminer!!!!! honestly don't they feel guilty ? neways would u mind tellin me how u studied...... i mean ....prepared 4 the xam? especially motivated urself?

ReputationRep:
    I found the Heinemann 'Revise A2 Biology' revision guide really great, with really good topic summaries. There are different versions for different exam boards (OCR, Edexcel and AQA I believe), so they match your specification exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I used the Collins "Student support material for Edexcel AS Biology" for AS, which were individual unit revision guides and were incredible for revision.
    Good for Synoptic revision aswell, tho this year's synoptic was largely common sense than knowledge.

And I just used the NAS unit revision guides for A2, which were amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Oh lol Smahakim, u remember all that? Lol yeah crap bio teacher used to eat in the class and see wat happened.. i missed my A by 2 ums marks.

Yes ive done AS bio all myself, I used to attend only chem, phy and math classes. Bio class was always empty.

How i studied?

Well i think others have mentioned it all. Get a copy of the syllabus of ur board. And get hold of (if ur doing EDEXCEL) NAS series plus their revision guides named as "Make the Grade"... i think somebody did mention this b4.
    Then u can also get a CGP revision guide if u want to.
    Attend all ur lectures (if ur teacher is not like mine and does explain stuff) come home and make notes. Memorize them and make sure u know "everythng" connected with the syllabus. After that revise from the revision guide chapter by chapter and then do the papers and make sure u do ur papers in "less" time than usually is allocated in the exams. Like if ur paper is 1.5 hours make sure u can do it within 1 hour. This is going to speed up ur thinking level and u will perform better.
    After revising donot leave bio. Keep revising and revising. This is the long term memory cycle which will help u in the exams. Try switching subjects in one day. Keep a day off yr week away from books "completely" so u get back with a fresher mind and with energy. Plus do make sure u study the way u r interested in. Do wat u like or make a plan which u know u will do it.
    Over all .. We all need to work hard to get the grade. BEST OF LUCK

- Man i talk like a big head and i couldnt get an A in bio.. argh those 2 ums marks. Im resitting so I have hopes.

And as soon as i start making my notes, I will post here.. "IF" n e one is interested.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Biology by Michael Kent was absolutely fantastic for me!
    It really has everything! Gives you blocks of info (with pics of course ) then mindmaps of them, then check questions on every page with lots of questions on each topic from all the exam boards. Has a synoptic part to it also giving you help on linking topics.
    It's a pretty big book and relatively expensive (£25 I think, but I got mine from ebay for £12 inc p&p ) and it probably has some things that are too advanced for our level, but I found that the best way to understand everything we need to know.

This guide really was excellent for me to make notes from and test myself. I was without a teacher for the majority of my course. He taught genetics, environment and kidney (grrr) so I was left to teach myself these modules. I couldn't have done it without this book and I certainly couldn't have got an A!

Check ebay to see if anyone is selling. I'd offer, but Im probs going to take it to med school with me

ReputationRep:
    nice..

Thanks
    I checked it and..
    Im going to get this book now

ReputationRep:
    thnx usman s!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey do u guyz think i can make it through in merely 3 months .....u no finish unit 4 , 5 n 6?

ReputationRep:
    U really can.. if u r determind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usman_s)
    nice..

Thanks
    I checked it and..
    Im going to get this book now
    If it was the book I recommended that you're getting then you wont regret it

ReputationRep:
    aight

ReputationRep:
    k guyz one last question how many weeks earlier do u guyz finish the specification and start revising for the xams i.e how much time do u leave in the end for preparing for the xams?

ReputationRep:
    Preparation starts from the time u start ur course...
    "Active" revision should be atleast 12 weeks b4.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2005

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.