Colorimetry: Why use complementary colour?

Watch
DJkG.1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK so my colour-physics is not so good...

I need to know why we use the complementary colour to that of the solution being tested for colorimetry.

Also, are there any units of absorption?

Cheers. +rep as thanks!
LearningMath
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just set out to answer this and then realised i didnt really know the answer lol...

So you have a sample in a cuvette, white light is striking the sample and some of it being absorbed. The remaining frequencies are transmitted and are what gives the solution its colour. If a solution is blue, then it is absorbing orange light. By using an orange filter you're only letting orange light hit the sample... so perhaps the sensor sensitivity is somehow improved by only allowing frequencies which will show a level of absorption through. i.e. if all the frequencies(except orange) were hitting it it'd be harder to measure variations.

This is speculation :dontknow:
sharpyt_14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Using the filter which is a complementary colour to the solution being tested means the only colour of light being absorbed or transmitted by the solution is the one which is most strongly absorbed, making it easier to measure the concentration of the solution.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sharpyt_14)
Using the filter which is a complementary colour to the solution being tested means the only colour of light being absorbed or transmitted by the solution is the one which is most strongly absorbed, making it easier to measure the concentration of the solution.
Welcome to TSR.

Before replying to threads, it is worth checking how old they are.

This one was probably last visited when you were still in primary school. Your reply is pretty unlikely to be seen by anyone who was part of it.
Awan0903
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What colour of the calorimeter filter should be used when using a red coloured sample?
Please reply soon.
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Awan0903)
What colour of the calorimeter filter should be used when using a red coloured sample?
Please reply soon.

Awan0903
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by charco)
what is this??
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Awan0903)
what is this??
The complementary colour wheel.

Just go to the opposite side of the wheel to find the complementary colour.
iffatzaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What would happen if you used the same colour filter as your solution?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads