The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So what do you do in mech eng! Anyone know any good sites? I havent doneresearch on any courses yet...
Reply 21
I have to choose modules to take which will be different
lefneosan
So what do you do in mech eng! Anyone know any good sites? I havent doneresearch on any courses yet...

Anything and everything you need to know about Mechanical Engineering
lefneosan
Which idiot, the one you are quoting?

??
lefneosan
Which idiot, the one you are quoting?

Nah, he's not an idiot. Just disadvantaged because he has chosen the wrong type of engineering :cool: :biggrin:

its not abut getting my hands dirty, its just that when it comes to poking about with bike chains, or general spatial ability I come short. When i told that to my cambridge engineering graduate teacher he said that it probably wasnt for me.

have I not done enough research? I didnt get a clear picture anywhere I looked!

The idiot in bold is what I am talking about. If a comments that being unable to deal with an engine or bike chains is the decision that decides it, is ridiculous.
Engineering in university and engineering are different things. If you think that as a professional engineer you're going to be completely isolated from production or engineering support and that you'll never need to "get your hands dirty" then you're catastrophically deluded.

Generally speaking, I would say that if you can't "deal with a bicycle chain" (which is a fairly simple mechanical system) and by your own admission are lacking in spacial awareness, then I think he was right in saying that engineering as a career probably isn't for you. If you're reasonably okay at maths and physics though, you might be alright for a degree in the subject.
Reply 26
I have a friend who shared a house with a MechEng student whilst at uni and he said that the guy actually had an engine he kept in his bedroom.
There is a large public misconception that mechanical engineers are basically mechanics. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a mechanical engineering student and, to be honest, I haven't a clue about car engines. I'm not really into cars either.

I'm more into sub-sea and drilling, than 'cars'.
Reply 28
Smack
There is a large public misconception that mechanical engineers are basically mechanics. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a mechanical engineering student and, to be honest, I haven't a clue about car engines. I'm not really into cars either.

I'm more into sub-sea and drilling, than 'cars'.

So what the hell do you do!? I cant find out anywhere!
lefneosan
So what the hell do you do!? I cant find out anywhere!

:rolleyes: And once again;

Mechanical Engineering Infomation
Reply 30
Dude Where's My Username

Thanks again- I read that the first time but it wasnt giving me the info i needed, like a real life example of a mechanical engineering problem. You see I aint very good spatially or when it comes to diagrams and things so I was just hoping someone would rule as to whether I can or cant be mecheng and If i could be good at it.

Latest