Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Both of my sisters have been to uni, and both say that the first year was easier and much dossier than A levels. How did people find their first year?Do you think this is true?

ReputationRep:
    Where did they go?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah depends where you go.

I worked similar amounts for both. GOt AAAAAB at A2 and got a good first in my first year (Warwick). I wouldn't say that the material is any easier or that the teaching makes much difference. I think that the environment (while occasionally hectic) is more focused to study and so you rarely ever totally switch off and therefore you have a greater depth of understanding. It will vary from uni to uni though. Having spoken to some people at other uni's doing a similar / the same degree I think that the level of the material can vary VERY much across the board. Just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it will depend on what subject and course you do. The workload required for a traditional subject at a top 10 university will be very different from that required for a less traditional subject at a less prestigious university.

ReputationRep:
    One did education and pschology at Cardiff, the other did Theology at Bristol, so not really dossy uni's!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but to be honest they're not known for their intensive academic programmes, even though Bristol for example is very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Yes but to be honest they're not known for their intensive academic programmes, even though Bristol for example is very competitive.
    If Bristol isn't fairly intensive then where (other than Cam and Oxford) would you say offer intensive academic programmes?

ReputationRep:
    In a word, no, I had much more work to do than I did for A-levels, but then again I did bugger all for A-levels.

Its also much more intense, at A-level you spend 20 hours doing different subjects, at Uni you spend 30 doing one.

Not looking forward to going back to Uni now

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the first year at uni is more relaxed than A-levels. I don't know if the content or workload is any easier, but for most courses at most unis, the first year doesn't count towards your final degree classification, so it's less pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    If Bristol isn't fairly intensive then where (other than Cam and Oxford) would you say offer intensive academic programmes?
    well firstly can I just acknowledge that what I said sounded absurd. Sorry, I don't mean to offend Bristol students. Bristol is a first rate university, but I just meant that universities get reputations for certain things, so whilst Bristol and Leeds are excellent places I don't envisage people there spending 10 hours a day in the library, which I imagine is quite likely at equally ranked universities (Warwick, Imperial?)

ReputationRep:
    i've been told it is much harder than a-levels or at least it is for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    At Imperial the first year exams do count, so I guess it must be pretty hardcore all the way through. My brother didn't actually do work at all so his account of uni is pretty meaningless and my sister thought the first year at Exeter was pretty easy but not so easy as she had expected.

ReputationRep:
    well firstly can I just acknowledge that what I said sounded absurd. Sorry, I don't mean to offend Bristol students. Bristol is a first rate university, but I just meant that universities get reputations for certain things, so whilst Bristol and Leeds are excellent places I don't envisage people there spending 10 hours a day in the library, which I imagine is quite likely at equally ranked universities (Warwick, Imperial?)
    Thanks for elaborating; I was simply curious as to what you meant.
    My first choice for Mathematics is Warwick while my second choice is Bristol and I actually have to admit to hoping the first year is rather more difficult than A-Levels (though I suppose at exam time I'll regret that wish).

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck, I've just given up my maths degree because I found it far too hard. I'm about to become an economist

ReputationRep:
    True to an extent, at leeds for my course only 11/25 go to lectures alot of people doss for that course. At UCL it's 9am-5pm with quite abit of extra reading to do. There will be courses at leeds and bristol where it's intensive, but it's a bit hard to answer the initial questions as it varies alot. Best way to answer it is if the original poster would state which degree sahsum wants to do and where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    At UCL it's 9am-5pm with quite abit of extra reading to do.
    I really wish you never said that!

I certainly will be working hard next year! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Thanks for elaborating; I was simply curious as to what you meant.
    My first choice for Mathematics is Warwick while my second choice is Bristol and I actually have to admit to hoping the first year is rather more difficult than A-Levels (though I suppose at exam time I'll regret that wish).
    My boyf has just got a 1st in his first year of Mathematics at Warwick. He seemed to do a lot more work, but the actual work itself seemed to be generally of the same standard or lightly higher than a-level.... but he's stupidly clever.

There seemed to be certain modules that were particulary hard, such as 3D Geometry and Motion.

It seems to me (although im no expert) that it probably depends on where u go, as much as the depth of knowledge you have of that subject in the 1st place. My boyf probably found it relatively easy cos he did all the STEP stuff, Further Maths etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I go to Nottingham, which has a fairly decent reputation, but I wouldn't say most people there do a hell of a lot of work. I'd say that I actually did do less than A-Level, except for the fact that in year 13 we were almost never given homework anyway. The only times when most people did any real work were when coursework was due in, or around exam time, when most people (myself included ) would try and cram an entire semesters work into three weeks. You suddenly couldn't find a seat in libraries which were normally pretty empty!

ReputationRep:
    I think they're just totally different. i think it's easier to 'get by' in the first year at uni (ie. scrape 40%) but to get a decent mark the workload can be silly.... but then again i didn't do anything at A level.

lou xxx

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.