Turn on thread page Beta

Are we living in an "Age-ist" society? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many teenagers out there feel that they are constantly being underestimated, or in the worst scenarios completely cut out by the "older, wiser and better people"? I myself am 17 and I have had to grind my teeth and keep quiet many times when 22 year olds + have this feeling of superiority. Just yesterday I had a bitter argument with my dad about a business proposal that I put forward. It seemed perfectly logical but he tried to crack it down by mentioning some irrelevant tosh. I was a little confused until eventually I understood why: he admitted that I am “…only 17 and I don’t need to listen to you, in order to know how to run my business.” This summer I spent an entire month with my 23 year old cousin. He was all right because we have been great friends since I can remember. But his friends were something else. None of them even wanted to have a proper conversation with me. I could sense that they thought I was below them. I have had these thoughts for quite sometime now, ever since I became conscious of the adults around me. I am sure most people out there have had similar experiences. The question is, do you let it get to you or are you prepared to ignore it?

ReputationRep:
    I tell off people who try to condescend to me because of age. Just remind them that if old age brought intelligence, then senility would be a form of enlightenment. There are cases in which younger people may not know as much as their elders because of life experience, but most of the time it is just an ingrained stereotype. Be clear in establishing that age has nothing to do with your maturity and intelligence. Given a bit of time(perhaps one or two conversations) this approach usually works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but many adults have their heads up in the skies (or up other places I would not like to mention here ) so that will probably fail in my case. As you know, many people are so obdurate and they will never admit that their intuition was wrong. I still want to know whether ignoring it would be a good enough tactic or should one try and prove onself that they are more than what their age says about them?

ReputationRep:
    As a significantly mature student, I must say that I get on well with, respect and I think am respected, by the younger students. I don't think I know it all, and am willing to accept correction or further information I don't know from younger students. I also don't think I have panaceas that answer all the worlds problems-I can't even sort my own out half the time. The issue is what kind of person you are, rather than the age of your body. True if you are older you may have had more experiences, but it doesn't always follow that you have learnt from them.Always remember that most older people who are patronising or arrogant were patronising and arrogant young people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ancientone)
    Always remember that most older people who are patronising or arrogant were patronising and arrogant young people.
    Perhaps you are right there. But could it also be that the patronising or arrogant had very similar experiences to me and anybody else who was ever patronised or looked down on because of their age? Could it be that they became patronising and arrogant when they grew up thinking that this is they should behave since they believe it to be the natural development in their social life?

ReputationRep:
    I think most people think that they are smarter than average (many surveys support this theory), and tend to discount the views of anyone who's not clearly more intelligent than them. If there is any excuse whatsoever to dismiss someone's views, most people will take take option. Youth, lack of education, wrong gender, among other things, are probably the primary reasons why people have their views dismissed out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death)
    Perhaps you are right there. But could it also be that the patronising or arrogant had very similar experiences to me and anybody else who was ever patronised or looked down on because of their age? Could it be that they became patronising and arrogant when they grew up thinking that this is they should behave since they believe it to be the natural development in their social life?
    I think there's some truth in this. It really used to sod me off when I was patronised, and I've tried really hard to avoid doing it myself. It still annoys me. I know I've not always succeeded though. The issue really is was the motivation important or the effect? - they may not mean to upset you but they obviously have-I think you have to decide if their motivation makes this behaviour acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Some people patronise - it isn't just an age related thing. This generally comes from a lack of security about their position. Your dad probably felt threatened by your business proposal - that's when people usual behave like that.

Sadly I'm turning the corner now at 25 and I'm beginning to see it from the other side. There are many teenagers who don't listen too - they think they know it all and that you have no understanding of what it is like to be a teenager - that is arrogance too. Essentially respect for others is what we need more of these days.

ReputationRep:
    times are changing tho, look back 20 years
    just imagine how things will be in another 20 years

ReputationRep:
    I think we are an ageist society on both sides, teenagers are generally grouped together as being just lazy dumb louts and also elderly people I don't feel are treated well. Alot of people assume they're just old and senile and can't do anything useful.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.