Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even if you get the grades for your firm choice but want to go to your insurance, is this possible?

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's very difficult to do as you need your firm choice to allow you to withdraw from a legally binding contract and your insurance to accept you when they may have already allocated your place to someone else (as you actually made the grades for your firm choice).
    Could I ask why you want to change?

ReputationRep:
    It's only possible if you get your firm choice to release you, which they don't have to do, and to be honest they're probably less likely to now because they get the A-level results tomorrow and will be busy sorting out who gets a place. If you really don't want to go to your firm but think you've got the grades, it's worth a try though because you almost definitely won't get released quickly if you leave it until results day. If you don't manage to get released and meet the grades, you'll have to either go to your firm or withdraw from UCAS and reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    if you havent signed anything is it still a legally binding contract?

How is it legally binding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplecrayon)

Im vaguesly remember either signing something, or tick a box, which was probably related to terms and conditions that we have to adhere to.

However, it would be slightly amusing if UCAS decided to sue someone for "breach of contract" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplecrayon)

An arbitrary link found via google:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/justthejob/he/app.shtml

It's important to bear in mind that once you've accepted a firm and insurance offer, these offers are then considered legally binding. If you get the grades asked for by your chosen university, they are under no obligation to release you from your decision.
    Obviously it's not in their interests to force you to go but don't expect your request to be their highest priority.

ReputationRep:
    just another quick q, if you reject your firm offer are you eligble for clearing?

ReputationRep:
    no ^ you have to wait til next year.

ReputationRep:
    Wait....wot If U Dont Get The Grades For Your First Choice And Dey Still Accept You? But At The Same Time U Want To Go To Your Insurance Choice????

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually in this situation right now. Both my firm and insurance require the same grades (I thought you were allowed to choose once results came out). It's a little complicated, UCAS wants permission from Uni A & B, Uni A wants permission from Uni B & UCAS etc, but individually they all accept it (my current firm is oversubscribed). I'm currently sorting it out and as long as communication works I've been given the impression by all 3 that it's quite possible.

ReputationRep:
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    cool, the only complaint about the whole system is that the small amount of time weve all got to sort it out in, we wont actually know our situations until thursday and only have a few days to try and arrange, and as someone said the firm choice uni wont rush to do it either
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nope. You've had your whole life to decide what course to do and which unis to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    who starts thinking about unis as soon as they're born then Juno?

Incidentally, say I missed my firm offer, asked my insurance to release me, would UCAS send me a clearing form automatically, or would I have to phone them up?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, my parents expected me to go to Cambridge since I learnt to read (which was about 2ish)! And you do get some people who decide they want to be a vet when they're young and always work towards that.

But my point was you've had at least one year to think about it so it isn't rushed really.

UCAS would send it once they know, but that might take a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's automatic - once the release is processed the CEF gets sent out - and given that UCAS are hoping to make clearing 100% online next year (bloody stupid idea IMO) you should have your clearing number etc etc on UCAS track almost instantly

PQ, could you explain something to me?

On a lot of uni websites, you can fill in an application form online for a clearing vacancy course.

Does this just get them to contact you saying whether you'd be eligible etc, or is it the definitive 'application'. Because i remember readin on the ucas site, that you can only apply to one uni. But surely i could apply to several online?

I am still held by a condtional offer but im going to try get released. You said when u get released you automatically get posted the CEF.

I dont really understand the CEF and the applying online.

Please help me straighten this out!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The online application forms on various uni websites are the equivalent of phoning them up and explaining your results and asking for a place in clearing.

There's no restriction on phoning/filling in online app forms on uni websites...you can contact as many unis as are of interest to you.

If they make you an offer they'll ask you to send in your CEF form - you can only send your CEF to one uni/course at a time (ie what UCAS are talking about when they say you can only apply to one uni), and if they've asked you to send it and you do then you're officially accepting their offer and can't go anywhere else.

UCAS are supposed to be working towards an online equivalent of the CEF form (so a way to accept an offer online rather than relying on post) - applications of this sort have to be done one at a time (UCAS like to think of clearing as a speeded up version of extra - you send off your CEF, uni makes offer/accepts you/rejects you, if it's rejection you get to send off to another uni....in reality the CEF isn't used as a way to apply through clearing but as the final rubber stamping bit of the process)
    Ah I getcha. Cool thanks PQ.

So, even though i'm holdin an offer (tho plannin on gettin released) I can go online applying here there and everywhere, just scouting to see where will accept me? Thats perfectly ok?

ReputationRep:
    PQ, do you mean I'll get a Clearing number on UCAS track this year? I.e. on thursday?

ReputationRep:
    That's Ms Pessimism! I'm just being realistic and prepared

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.