Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Iran geniunly wants Nuclear Power for electricity or are masking their real plan, which might be for nuclear weapons?

ReputationRep:
    But so what if they want it for nuclear weapons? Isn't it the ultimate hypocrisy for us to prevent others of possessing something that we do so of ourselves?

ReputationRep:
    Iran will have nuclear weapons one day and the world should get used to it. Any Iranian leader worth his or her salt would chose to safeguard Iran's national security and increase it's regional dominance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Iran will have nuclear weapons one day and the world should get used to it. Any Iranian leader worth his or her salt would chose to safeguard Iran's national security
    Iran's national security is only threatened if it continues its policy of nuclear brinkmanship. Therefore would not developing nukes be a better way of safeguarding its national security.
    and increase it's regional dominance.
    Why should Iran want to be regionally dominant?

IMO any Iranian leader worth their salt would act to stop making Iran a pariah and bring them back into the international fold. Saudi Arabi has shown it is possible to enforce an Islamic state and be internationally important.

ReputationRep:
    Iran's national security is only threatened if it continues its policy of nuclear brinkmanship. Therefore would not developing nukes be a better way of safeguarding its national security.
    Iran is surrounded by hostile nations which have historically sought to destroy Iran. Most of these countries (e.g. Afghanistan, Turkey, Iraq, Pakistan) are US allies, some een have American armies in them! Then there is Israel, Pakistan and India in the region with weapons. And of course the Arab hatred of Iran and their wish to steal more land from us.

Saudi Arabi has shown it is possible to enforce an Islamic state and be internationally important.
    The Iranian people neither want their women to be banned from driving or being alone in public nor their country a prostitute to the west.

ReputationRep:
    Iran is surrounded by hostile nations which have historically sought to destroy Iran. Most of these countries (e.g. Afghanistan, Turkey, Iraq, Pakistan) are US allies, some een have American armies in them! Then there is Israel, Pakistan and India in the region with weapons. And of course the Arab hatred of Iran and their wish to steal more land from us.
    These countries won't invade Iran though. Iraq and Afghanistan have no armies, and Pakistan and India are US allies. So, if Iran complies with the US' demand to not pursue nuclear weapons then they have nothing to fear. As for Arab hatred-surely that will manifest itself through terrorism. Nuclear arms won't do anything about terrorism.

The Iranian people neither want their women to be banned from driving or being alone in public nor their country a prostitute to the west.
    A prostitute to the West or just common sense? Ahmed ihaveaverylongname (I will learn it one day) cannot be trusted with nuclear arms and a nuclear free middle east is surely the best way for such an unstable area. If Iran got nukes they should be prepared to use them-do you think that would be beneficial to the middle east if tensions rose greatly?

(Original post by The_Kangaroo)
    Do you think Iran geniunly wants Nuclear Power for electricity or are masking their real plan, which might be for nuclear weapons?
    Why would Iran need nuclear power, they have a great abundance of oil and natural gas, and they probably aren't environmentalists.

ReputationRep:
    Iraq and Afghanistan have no armies
    They have American ones at the moment

Pakistan and India are US allies.
    That's supposed to make Iranians feel safer?

So, if Iran complies with the US' demand to not pursue nuclear weapons then they have nothing to fear.
    Why should Iran comply with what the USA says?

As for Arab hatred-surely that will manifest itself through terrorism. Nuclear arms won't do anything about terrorism.
    Iraq invaded Iran and that wasn't terrorism. The Arb League constantly pass resolutions against Iran. They are trying to steal Iranian island in the Persian Gulf and they are trying to steal th Persian Gulf itself. They have even started calling it the Arabian Gulf.

Ahmed ihaveaverylongname (I will learn it one day)
    LOL Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Actually easy to pronounce if you learn that the name is just Ahmadi and Nejad stuck together.

cannot be trusted with nuclear arms and a nuclear free middle east is surely the best way for such an unstable area.
    Why can't he be trusted but the warmongers in the west can? Nuclear free? What about Israel?

If Iran got nukes they should be prepared to use them-do you think that would be beneficial to the middle east if tensions rose greatly?
    If Israel have them I want my country (in the mind of an Iranian) to have them. I'm surrounded by hostile nations and I want a nuclear deterrent. If nobody in the middle east has one and nobody is threatening to invade me then I'll be happy with nuclear power.

Why would Iran need nuclear power, they have a great abundance of oil and natural gas, and they probably aren't environmentalists.
    What happens when the oil runs out in a century?

ReputationRep:
    They have American ones at the moment

That's supposed to make Iranians feel safer?

Why should Iran comply with what the USA says?

Iraq invaded Iran and that wasn't terrorism. The Arb League constantly pass resolutions against Iran. They are trying to steal Iranian island in the Persian Gulf and they are trying to steal th Persian Gulf itself. They have even started calling it the Arabian Gulf.

LOL Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Actually easy to pronounce if you learn that the name is just Ahmadi and Nejad stuck together.

Why can't he be trusted but the warmongers in the west can? Nuclear free? What about Israel?

If Israel have them I want my country (in the mind of an Iranian) to have them. I'm surrounded by hostile nations and I want a nuclear deterrent. If nobody in the middle east has one and nobody is threatening to invade me then I'll be happy with nuclear power.

What happens when the oil runs out in a century?
    The main problem is proliferation. The more countries have nuclear weapons, the more likely a nuclear conflict at some point in time.

Also, the more nuclear bombs, the more possibilities for terrorist NGOs to lay hands on them.

ReputationRep:
    Iran has as much right to nuclear development as Israel, US, Pakistan , India and the list goes on...

ReputationRep:
    The main problem is proliferation. The more countries have nuclear weapons, the more likely a nuclear conflict at some point in time.
    I agree, but there isn't much chance of Israel or Pakistan and India giving up their nukes.

Also, the more nuclear bombs, the more possibilities for terrorist NGOs to lay hands on them.
    I think this is a fabricated threat

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm iranian and have lived in iran for 16 years, (till i came to india)
    many of you people have no clear idea about iran, iranian nation, etc. as you just see iran through BBC, CNN, or other news channels, Yes, iran is called Islamic Republic of Iran since the islamic revolution in 1979 (i'm not sure about the date) but that is not the true face of iran... in iran 99% of people are muslims but only 85% of those people are religious (according to the latest survey). yeah, we all know iranian gov. are supporting terrorists but they also terrorise our nation inside the country too! you wont believe me if i say that the most saling video games in iran are those in which USA attacks iran, all the guys are dying to kill the state soldiers in these games! as they cant do any thing in the real world...
    iranian government are looking after nuclear power for military purposes and no one in iran (that 85% of people) likes that, but we know late or soon our natural resources (oil, etc...) will be finished, so we need the nuclear technology to power up our factories and cities... (which is 100% against gov. policies... believe me!) what i finally want to say is the title of this post

Iran must have nuclear power, but not the iranian gov. that's MULLAS!

ReputationRep:
    Until everyone else gets rid of any nuclear weapons I see no reason for Iran not to have them.
    Why is there a do what I say not as I do attitude? We know the US are a super power but I'm getting fed up of them using their power to bully people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Until everyone else gets rid of any nuclear weapons I see no reason for Iran not to have them.
    Why is there a do what I say not as I do attitude? We know the US are a super power but I'm getting fed up of them using their power to bully people.
    If has the only gun in the world would you want more people to haev a gun or jsut you?

It isnt just the US aswell its the UN aswell, especailly Britain, France and Germany and for me personally any country like Iran with nuclear weapons is a scary thought.

ReputationRep:
    But it's not just one person with a gun (continuing the metaphor) It's hard to simplify such things.

Which country is the only country to have used nuclear weapons? The US.
    Which country had to be told not to consider using military force in Iran because they couldn't see that it didn't work previously? The US (Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4149090.stm)

I'm more scared of the US having nuclear weapons.
    Besides is there any proof that Iran are making weapons? or are people anticipating the worst outcome?

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Besides is there any proof that Iran are making weapons? or are people anticipating the worst outcome?
    It's probably better to anticipate the worst outcome when you're dealing with nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milady)
    It's probably better to anticipate the worst outcome when you're dealing with nuclear weapons.
    Well in that case can I anticipate that the US will actually use their nuclear weapons as a bigger threat, underestimating their power and the worlds atmosphere will be damaged resulting in illness and death world wide.
    It can go both ways.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way that America would attack Iran though. Their military forces are heavily stretched at the moment, and it would probably cost the next republican leader the next election because the American public would see it as the government not genuinely interested in creating a lasting peace in Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    Guys once again, mullas and other extremist muslims should NOT get the nuclear technology, if they get the power they will be more dangrous than USA or Israel, you'll definitely admit that if you know the JEHAD ideology. here i dont want to oppose the Islam as a religion as i myself am a muslim, but i know much about the dangers of mullas having the nuclear power. once again i say I"M TALKING ABOUT THE GOV. NOT THE COUNTRY. of course no one would say anything about the Iran's nuclear program if there were a democratic and secular government in Iran.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.