Turn on thread page Beta

Life after the history degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Those of you who are studying, or want to study, history at uni, which career do you want to go into after the BA?

I'd like to become a lecturer at uni (for history), should be quite difficult though. Or maybe become a lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Those of you who are studying, or want to study, history at uni, which career do you want to go into after the BA?

I'd like to become a lecturer at uni (for history), should be quite difficult though. Or maybe become a lawyer.
    If I were to study History (long time away yet) I would go in to Teaching, Journalism or the Media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    If I were to study History (long time away yet) I would go in to Teaching, Journalism or the Media.
    The career aspect is one of the reasons I think i'll choose LSE. Apparently, the London law firms come round the History dept because they think History grads have better skills than Law grads. They offer you sponsorship for a conversion in return for you being on their pay roll for 5 yrs after. If you ask me, that is not bad! However, i'd love to do something actually related to History because I really would feel a bit poo about giving it up in favour of some money. I could always become like detestable David Starkey and earn pots by glossing over facts and inventing some secret love interests for early-modern monarchs.....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    The career aspect is one of the reasons I think i'll choose LSE. Apparently, the London law firms come round the History dept because they think History grads have better skills than Law grads. They offer you sponsorship for a conversion in return for you being on their pay roll for 5 yrs after. If you ask me, that is not bad! However, i'd love to do something actually related to History because I really would feel a bit poo about giving it up in favour of some money. I could always become like detestable David Starkey and earn pots by glossing over facts and inventing some secret love interests for early-modern monarchs.....!
    Wow! That's really good. The History degree seems to have many uses then. I may consider it, in a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Wow! That's really good. The History degree seems to have many uses then. I may consider it, in a couple of years
    Nearly all Arts degrees have many uses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Nearly all Arts degrees have many uses.
    Isn't it true that Arts degrees have many uses and people doing them will go into any career involving writing...

But scientific and engineering degrees are much more specific and people doing them will go into a career directly relating to what the degree's in?

(Yay my 900th post)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Isn't it true that Arts degrees have many uses and people doing them will go into any career involving writing...

But scientific and engineering degrees are much more specific and people doing them will go into a career directly relating to what the degree's in?

(Yay my 900th post)
    Usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I look forward to seeing you on TV... or in court

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.