Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge Secret Societies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ah crap, I'm at one of the best universities in the world doing a subject that's going to get me the job I've wanted for years and won't exactly be badly paid. Yet I'm some kind of loser because of my gender so can't join the rah-boys club. What a bummer. :rolleyes:
    :rofl: Forget Aniston and Jolie, there should be Team Helenia t-shirts.

ReputationRep:
    Ah crap, I'm at one of the best universities in the world doing a subject that's going to get me the job I've wanted for years and won't exactly be badly paid. Yet I'm some kind of loser because of my gender so can't join the rah-boys club. What a bummer. :rolleyes:
    And what's worse is you're so angry about it, clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew)
    And what's worse is you're so angry about it, clearly.
    Offers you a sarcasm detector. Not doing very well at the moment are you darling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Offers you a sarcasm detector. Not doing very well at the moment are you darling?
    Do you need some binoculars to see the point with?

She wouldn't feel the need to dish out all of the sarcasm if she wasn't actually angry about it. She would just sit quietly, safe in the knowledge that her life is sorted. The fact that she is having a go indicates that she is actually upset about it.

ReputationRep:

She wouldn't feel the need to dish out all of the sarcasm if she wasn't actually angry about it. She would just sit quietly, safe in the knowledge that her life is sorted. The fact that she is having a go indicates that she is actually upset about it.
    My eyesight is perfect cheers. If she wanted to be in a secret society (ooh, reminds me of when I was 7), she'd start off with a drinking soc.

God Helen, your life must be so dull, and so must mine, oh the pain of being female :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My eyesight is perfect cheers. If she wanted to be in a secret society (ooh, reminds me of when I was 7), she'd start off with a drinking soc.

God Helen, your life must be so dull, and so must mine, oh the pain of being female :rolleyes:
    Your sarcasm doesn't hide that fact that all of the important people in the world are men.

ReputationRep:
    Your sarcasm doesn't hide that fact that all of the important people in the world are men.
    That's such a great pulling line. I recommend you use it all the time. And remember, a girl slapping you means she fancies you

ReputationRep:
    Spoken like a true Thatcherite.

Oh no, wait ...

ReputationRep:

I think your skills in understanding people are somewhat lacking. If I were angry about it, I would rant. As I'm not, I'm just getting on with things, whilst letting you know what I think of your pathetic sexist viewpoint (which DOES anger me).

Who apparently need their exclusive secret societies to keep them there. Now there's insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a great pulling line. I recommend you use it all the time. And remember, a girl slapping you means she fancies you
    You can be cynical and abusive all you like but it remains true, and there isn't anything you can do about it. Lottery of Life

ReputationRep:
    I think your skills in understanding people are somewhat lacking. If I were angry about it, I would rant. As I'm not, I'm just getting on with things, whilst letting you know what I think of your pathetic sexist viewpoint (which DOES anger me).

Who apparently need their exclusive secret societies to keep them there. Now there's insecurity.
    And women need gender protection legislation. Which of the two shows more weakness? The need for Parliament to protect you like it does with other vunerable groups or the occasional get together with like minded people?

ReputationRep:
    And women need gender protection legislation. Which of the two shows more weakness? The need for Parliament to protect you like it does with other vunerable groups or the occasional get together with like minded people?
    I think whether or not we "need" that legislation any more is debateable - it was introduced to reform a system that was horrendously outdated and sexist (like yourself) and from the days when women were, I suppose, losers in this so called lottery. Tragically for you, things have changed.

But there are a lot of men out there a lot worse off than I am. Who's the loser there?

ReputationRep:
    I think whether or not we "need" that legislation any more is debateable - it was introduced to reform a system that was horrendously outdated and sexist (like yourself) and from the days when women were, I suppose, losers in this so called lottery. Tragically for you, things have changed.

But there are a lot of men out there a lot worse off than I am. Who's the loser there?
    It's still you, because you believe that things have changed when they in fact have not.

ReputationRep:
    It's still you, because you believe that things have changed when they in fact have not.
    How about - it's you. Because you believe that things have not changed, when they have. At least back up what you're saying with a rudimentary amount of fact to be taken seriously. (Ohh the ironies)

ReputationRep:
    It hardly shows the weakness of the protected. It surely shows the weakness of the protector. If you're genuinely making a comparison to legislation protecting ethnic minorities, etc. (presumably your 'other vulnerable groups') then you're effectively saying that the protection is needed because these minorities are actually weaker candidates for jobs, rather than because something's still rotten at the heart of British society.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we now have the vote, are allowed to *shock, horror* attend university with men, can do what we like careerwise and don't have to stop work when we marry in order to look after hubby and darn his socks, suggests to me that they have.

Reema - nice point

ReputationRep:
    Nobber, what gender was the girl who beat you in the election for Union president?

nearly. all the most SELF-important people in the world are men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Nobber, what gender was the girl who beat you in the election for Union president?

She is still a girl and yet another exception who proves the rule.

What gender is the you who never even qualified?

ReputationRep:
    I need a sarcasm detector. I'm not entirely convinced this isn't just a virtuoso display of sustained sarcasm from matthew.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.