Drama (Edexcel 2009/2010 New Spec)

Anyone taking this exam.

Section A
Lysistrata/Faustus/(something else?)
about your staging of the performance

Section B
Live Theatre Comparison to Original

How are people getting on with this?

We're doing Lysistrata, and been making notes all over our scripts about how we would do each scene and character, etc, and have been told we can take all those notes into the exam.

Is this the same for everyone else or have you been told something else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing this, we're doing Woyzeck for Section A and we've been told the same thing about notes :smile:
Reply 2
We're doing Faustus as our text we've done LOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS of notes on our scripts but we've also been doing alot of practical, directing all the scenes we are also putting our own small production of Faustus on for our friends and familys to help us develop our conceptideas. We have also been on trips to look round theatre spaces to further our knowledge of what spaces our available.

=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)
Reply 3
I'm doing Woyzeck for section A and have also been told the same about notes! Has anyone focussed loads on Woyzeck own production? Cause thats where i'm hitting a wall!? x
Reply 4
BexPanther
I'm doing Woyzeck for section A and have also been told the same about notes! Has anyone focussed loads on Woyzeck own production? Cause thats where i'm hitting a wall!? x

Hey, Im doing Woyzeck too. We got into groups and directed our own production of Woyzeck, not the whole play, about 3 quarters as we only had a limited time. It's so helpful actually acting it out cos writing about how you WOULD do it is very different to doing it.
Firstly the characters all play a role in Woyzeck's life, work out what these are.
One of the most important things is that it is not just words, there are millions more things to think about. Eg. when we did the scene in the changing room where Woyzeck is asking Andres where the Drum Major is, we had the Drum Major in a changing room behind him, he didnt say a word throughout the scene so it wasnt in the script but it was really effective with creating tension.
Just because a character isnt in the script doesnt mean he's not there! (My eyes were opened when my teacher told us this!)
So what I mean is there are things beyond the script that make a scene good like characters, music, the set, costume(all characters in one colour?etc), pauses in between speech that arent shown in the script.
These details are what the examiner wants you to think about as a director.
I think thats the sort of thing you were asking! If it wasnt, hope it helped anyway!!
xx

And if anyone has any more tips I'd appreciate them!!
Reply 5
Indeed.
I'm doing this, we're doing Woyzeck for Section A and we've been told the same thing about notes :smile:

Hey just a quick question, how did you get the university of notts thing on your signiture?
My firm is Notts too! For Film & American Studies though!
x
Reply 6
kitcat
Hey just a quick question, how did you get the university of notts thing on your signiture?
My firm is Notts too! For Film & American Studies though!
x

Put [IMG.]http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/images/uni-logo.gif into your signature but take out the fullstop after the first IMG :smile:
Cool, that sounds like an interesting course!
Thanks for the post above, I've found it pretty useful too :smile:
Reply 7
kitcat
Hey, Im doing Woyzeck too. We got into groups and directed our own production of Woyzeck, not the whole play, about 3 quarters as we only had a limited time. It's so helpful actually acting it out cos writing about how you WOULD do it is very different to doing it.
Firstly the characters all play a role in Woyzeck's life, work out what these are.
One of the most important things is that it is not just words, there are millions more things to think about. Eg. when we did the scene in the changing room where Woyzeck is asking Andres where the Drum Major is, we had the Drum Major in a changing room behind him, he didnt say a word throughout the scene so it wasnt in the script but it was really effective with creating tension.
Just because a character isnt in the script doesnt mean he's not there! (My eyes were opened when my teacher told us this!)
So what I mean is there are things beyond the script that make a scene good like characters, music, the set, costume(all characters in one colour?etc), pauses in between speech that arent shown in the script.
These details are what the examiner wants you to think about as a director.
I think thats the sort of thing you were asking! If it wasnt, hope it helped anyway!!
xx

And if anyone has any more tips I'd appreciate them!!

Thanks that does help- because of the whole edexcel muck up we're hvaing to resit the entire a level this eyar, so there isnt much time for creating a production... gah. But thanks that helps... are you doing shakespeare for section B ? xxxx
I'm really very worried for this exam, my teachers are AWFUL I'm doing all the work myself...argh
Reply 9
Jellynubbin
I'm really very worried for this exam, my teachers are AWFUL I'm doing all the work myself...argh

Me too ! What are you studying for sections A and B?
I've applied to WDP at York too :biggrin: xxx
Reply 10
BexPanther
Thanks that does help- because of the whole edexcel muck up we're hvaing to resit the entire a level this eyar, so there isnt much time for creating a production... gah. But thanks that helps... are you doing shakespeare for section B ? xxxx

Yeah Shakespeare for Section B. We went to see Romeo & Juliet at Stratford, what have you seen?
x
BexPanther
Me too ! What are you studying for sections A and B?
I've applied to WDP at York too :biggrin: xxx

Lysistrata for A and Twelfth Night for B

My coursework is a nightmare...We got given our FIRST ATTEMPT back this Easter hol, noone got over like 10/45 cos my teachers are so crap....argh!

Awh, is it your firm?
Reply 12
kitcat
Yeah Shakespeare for Section B. We went to see Romeo & Juliet at Stratford, what have you seen?
x

We've seen Twelfth Night- it was actuall awesome. I'm kinda worried for the exam though tbh. xxx:eek:
Reply 13
Jellynubbin
Lysistrata for A and Twelfth Night for B

My coursework is a nightmare...We got given our FIRST ATTEMPT back this Easter hol, noone got over like 10/45 cos my teachers are so crap....argh!

Awh, is it your firm?

Wow thats bad! Yeah it is- i dont wanna go anywhere else really- i'm too in lvoe with it :frown: xxx
Section A : LYS - every page annotated with what happens, rehersal techniques, and directors concept within the front pages.
Section B : RSC King Lear, and 16/17th century Lear. - up to 10 pages of typed notes for this section

felling pretty good about it although not done much Lys for a while.
Reply 15
Section A: Lysistrata- notes on each scene for rehearsal techniques.
Section B: We're seeing The Comedy of Errors at the Royal Exchange Theatre on Wednesday :smile:

I'm concerned about Lysistrata and my interpretation!I just don't know what to include in my notes, and how an earth i can write a huge essay on one small part of my interpretation!
robhall3192
Section A : LYS - every page annotated with what happens, rehersal techniques, and directors concept within the front pages.
Section B : RSC King Lear, and 16/17th century Lear. - up to 10 pages of typed notes for this section

felling pretty good about it although not done much Lys for a while.

I was under the impression we were only allowed 1000 words? :confused:
your right 1000 only just checked the spec...so much for 10 pages of notes...will have to have words with out drama teacher, as theres a significant difference?!
For our notes on Lysistrata (or whatever your text is) are we allowed to come up with our own interpretations of the performance in the sense of creating a different theme rather than the original Greek attire and set?
ceinwen6249
For our notes on Lysistrata (or whatever your text is) are we allowed to come up with our own interpretations of the performance in the sense of creating a different theme rather than the original Greek attire and set?

I think to get a decent concept you have to come up with your interpretation of the script, and what messages you wish to focus on.
In order to be a director and implement the concept, you have to consider the space, set, costume, lights, sound, time period, props, etc.
The edexcell students book has a good set of about 10 questions for each set text to help start you thinking of your interpretation.
Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending