As Biology Coursework (edexcel) Watch

Thriller1983
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For biology coursework, we have to pick a topic and just write about it and put up an arguement. For example some people have chosen stem cells, global warming, cloning, cystic fibrosis etc.

So I'm a little bit stuck as I'm not entirely sure as to what I should be putting in the coursework.....

I have the following to questions to those that are doing the coursework or have done it already:

1. How much words does it need to be?

2. Does it need a title page/contents page/bibliography page?

3. What should I put in it?? e.g. Introduction, reasons for and against, conclusion etc.

My question that I have picked is Does HIV treatment actually work??

I would be soooo grateful if someone could help me out here....Thank you soo much

L.O.V.E

P.S Does anyone have any adivce or tips for the coursework? Does anyone know what you have to do to get high marks?? Thanks.
Pheonixx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You cant really argue your title for a start. They're cold hard facts. Look at the unit specification and example mark schemes for the rest of your questions.
scherzi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1. Approx. 1500-2000 words.
2. It needs a bibliography.
3. As the person above said, look on the Edexcel website, there are specific mark schemes for everything you need.
Remarqable M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could argue about biodiversity e.g. why it is important to maintain biodiversity and the adv/disv of maintaining biodiversity.
Good luck
dr18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i did this cw last year..
1. you needs to come up with a question which is very specific..e.g.is "somekind of treatment" is a cure for HIV?
2. then give two alternatives other than the treatment you have already descibed..this worths a lot of the marks.
3. the ads and disads of the chosen treatment; include the social, econmical, political ect issues.
4. examiners actually likes it if it is a recent issue..so reaserch in current issues on hiv and treatment.
5. you dont need a title page or contents page..it should be in a scientific report format.
6. iclude atleast 3 different sources; i.e jounal, net, books to get the top marks
7. make sure it has lots and lots of data which have to descibe and evaluate.
last year nearly the whole class got really bad results as the topic was not very scientfic or meet the examiner's criteria so ask you teacher if its good. i did mine on a comarison of frozen and fresh embryos for ivf 9cant exactly remember the question).
if you need more help pm me.
btw i did get an A for this cw
Pheonixx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dr18)
5. you dont need a title page or contents page..it should be in a scientific report format.
Scientific reviews nearly always have a contence page
dr18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pheonixx)
Scientific reviews nearly always have a contence page
lol..yh they do but only for the long ones..not for something which would only be a couple of pages pages..but they can include one if they wish but not really necessary.
p.s it should be between 1500-2000 words
Pheonixx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dr18)
lol..yh they do but only for the long ones..not for something which would only be a couple of pages pages..but they can include one if they wish but not really necessary.
p.s it should be between 1500-2000 words
Yes truee.
hellogirl
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I'm currently trying to find title for my AS Biology C/W but I'm really stuck and don't know what to write about, does anyone have any ideas/heard of any previous titles which were quite good?

Thanks.
hissyfit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hellogirl)
Hi, I'm currently trying to find title for my AS Biology C/W but I'm really stuck and don't know what to write about, does anyone have any ideas/heard of any previous titles which were quite good?

Thanks.
see all the other threads made on this please by doing a search of TSR.
mooniibuggy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hellogirl)

Thanks.
How about the effects of stress on the immune system? There's research that suggests stress enhances your immunity. On the other hand, there's research that suggests stress makes your immune system under-vigilant. You can discuss this and outline the importance of research into stress, such as the improvement of psychological treatment and the benefits to the economy e.g. less people dropping out of university, quitting their job ect. Also, you could find some statistics relating to this. You can go on about ethical issues, how research into stress uses animals and evaluate the reliability of the results. ect....
gp31
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I cant think of a question, I was thinking of going for some sort of disease? but im not sure what I should do?
Ray.Inspiration
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you also think that good specific vocabulary is required that suits both biologyand in a report since im doing on conservation of rhinos
kate08
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gp31)
I cant think of a question, I was thinking of going for some sort of disease? but im not sure what I should do?
You could do mitral valve disease in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, there's loads of data on it and it's quite an unusual topic. Or you could do Alzheimers or Cystic Fibrosis or Sickle Cell disease... Some of my friends are doing CVD which is quite a broad topic that you can narrow down to find specific solutions? You could just look on the BBC website under the medical section and see what current research is going on!
Good luck
Na_Hsur19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
how will i start of my issue report?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads