Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    The thing with all these famous people is that when they are alive no one gives a toss, but when they are dead everyone goes on about how great they were.
    the thing with bob was that he did all these crap naff gameshows but underneath all that was a good comedian

he was one of those guys you always expect to be on the tv at some point, no more

ReputationRep:
    I remember him from Wipeout, but didn't present The National Lottery at one point?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know this until now because I have been cleaning my bedroom today as its my day off from work and I can't do any of my mountain of homework in a my s*ithole (which is what my dad called calls it) so the telly has been off.

Its a great loss even though he did pick bad shows to host - Will someone else do Wipeout now? I used to watch it every day when I was on study leave (very very sad)

Well back to the room but to tell the truth it looks a worst mess right now than this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I didn't know this until now because I have been cleaning my bedroom today as its my day off from work and I can't do any of my mountain of homework in a my s*ithole (which is what my dad called calls it) so the telly has been off.

Its a great loss even though he did pick bad shows to host - Will someone else do Wipeout now? I used to watch it every day when I was on study leave (very very sad)

Well back to the room but to tell the truth it looks a worst mess right now than this morning.
    Slash and burn. Thats what you have to do. Be ruthless. Those paper can smell weakness. Show them any and they'll be all over you. You have to be vigilant.

*Red eyed and rocks himself on teh chair

ReputationRep:
    RIP bob. never really watched him on anything but i know hes funny and a good bloke.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it's sad that a person dies. But doesn't this remind us that even the most famous of people are mere mortals and as death is part of life, why should a celebrities death be more publicised than thousands of deaths that happen in our world every day?

ReputationRep:
    A great man falls....weep weep....may he rest in peace....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caz)
    because the media broke out like 60 years ago, and from now on in life we will see many, many dead celebrities. sooner or later it had to happen
    Can't they be frozen in ice? All the people we want to keep.

We only see them on the TV anyway, if they only have to be let out a for a couple of times each week they'll last ages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    the thing with bob was that he did all these crap naff gameshows but underneath all that was a good comedian

he was one of those guys you always expect to be on the tv at some point, no more
    are you kidding, he wasnt remotely witty. he just had poor gags for conversation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    are you kidding, he wasnt remotely witty. he just had poor gags for conversation...
    Isn't that what your typical couch potato viewer wants, so that they can talk about the poor attempt at humour, over a hot dog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Isn't that what your typical couch potato viewer wants, so that they can talk about the poor attempt at humour, over a hot dog?
    that doesnt detract from the fact that he wasnt funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    that doesnt detract from the fact that he wasnt funny.
    He had his moments, like the misintended one-liners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    dont put down hot dogs! there good!

ReputationRep:
    Bob:

I still enjoy sex at 74 - I live at No. 75 so it's no distance.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Bob Monkhouse ruined wipeout - it was much better in the days of Paul Daniels and the Wipeout umbrella.

He made a good James Bond (IIRC)

ReputationRep:
    So basically no one really cares if he's dead or not, I'm not bothered I just thought I'd put a sensitive 'RIP' comment.

ReputationRep:
    So basically no one really cares if he's dead or not, I'm not bothered I just thought I'd put a sensitive 'RIP' comment.
    Most people don't realise what a brilliant comic he was beuase they only remember him from Wipeout and crappy day time TV shows with Des O'Connor and Melanie Sykes, but he wrote for Max Miller, Derek Roy, Ted Ray and Arthur Askey. What's more, though people say the likes of Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson were better than him, Bob Monkhouse has been a prolific comic since 1943.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Most people don't realise what a brilliant comic he was beuase they only remember him from Wipeout and crappy day time TV shows with Des O'Connor and Melanie Sykes, but he wrote for Max Miller, Derek Roy, Ted Ray and Arthur Askey. What's more, though people say the likes of Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson were better than him, Bob Monkhouse has been a prolific comic since 1943.
    I didn't even watch Wipeout, all I remember was that he was a cheesy comedian and he probably wouldn't make me laugh. I've never heard of the names you've mentioned so I'm still not going to miss him.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even watch Wipeout, all I remember was that he was a cheesy comedian and he probably wouldn't make me laugh. I've never heard of the names you've mentioned so I'm still not going to miss him.
    Well they were of our grandparents' era, or possibly before, but they were great comedians, the Peter Kays and Ricky Gervaises of their day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well they were of our grandparents' era, or possibly before, but they were great comedians, the Peter Kays and Ricky Gervaises of their day.
    Ricky Gervais, Paul Merton and Graham Norton are my top comedians.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.