Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have some American friends who are getting ready to take there SATs next year, and I have just taken my GCSEs and am starting AS levels in September. These exams are very important in university applications in both countries (i.e. SATs for US, A-levels for UK) and I was wondering how people think they compare, and which exams they think are the best judge of students abilities.

SATs is a multiple question examination right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    SATs is a multiple question examination right?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    SATs are multiple choice and therefore not really a measure of intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way of seeing an SAT paper online (like out past papers) I'd be interested to see what they are tested on and what the questions are like.

ReputationRep:
    If the SATs are multiple choice, I don't really see how they test intelligence. You could just guess, be extremely lucky and still do well despite not really being clever at all. Although GCSEs and A-levels test memory, they test intelligence as well.

ReputationRep:
    i say any exam is just a waste of time ( in general ) because some people get nervous and scared when they are in the exam, which decreases the function of his mind, while others dont even care,,, so the EXAM is not a good way to test the person! there must be a better way!

ReputationRep:
    SATs are depressing. I looked at some of the maths questions, and well, to be honest, they wouldn't look out of place on a year 9 sat paper over here. But I'm not sure A levels test ability effectively either - so much of it is knowledge based.

ReputationRep:
    SATs are disgustingly easy.

I think A-levels are a good measure of ability. Depending on the A-level, they have a good mix of requiring simple ability and requiring work. Remember- testing knowledge is testing your ability to learn- just because its knowledge based doesn't mean its not a measure of potential. Try telling a top lawyer they don't need to be able to retain huge amounts of information over a short time period.

ReputationRep:
    SATS are like CATS we have here. non/non-non verbal reasoning + mathematics.

then you have the subject exams, so you can do a more advanced maths SAT or one in history or something

ReputationRep:
    SAT Is are relatively straightforward; however, bear in mind that the top Ivy League universities also use SAT IIs in three chosen subjects in conjunction with the SAT I score to select.

I think an ALevel assessed on both Coursework and Exams is a good way to test ability.

ReputationRep:
    hey what exams do u have to pass in the states to get a GED?

ReputationRep:
    Uni exams are the best.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that any exams I have taken so far (SATs, GCSEs, AS and A levels) truly reflect people's ability. I just don't think that exams are very accurate tests. A couple of hours at the most trying to judge how much of the whole syllabus you have understood doesn't really do it.

And as for coursework - I got a low D in English Language AS level coursework, but a strong A in my A level coursework a year later. I didn't find it much more difficult and put in the same amount of effort so I don't really see how that's accurate.

So basically I don't think that there is a particularly accurate way of measuring somebody's ability unless you did a longitudinal study, across the whole of the syllabus, which obviously isn't practical.

I also think that these days a lot of teachers teach pupils how to pass the exams rather than a good understanding of the subject and therefore there is another massive reason for them not really reflecting people's true potential/ability.

Sorry that was so long!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.