Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People im really stuck on unit 5 Database in ICT AVCE, the part im stuck on is the technical manuel. Could sum1 give me a hand on it pls.

Proper stressed with it, as iv'e got loads of exam revsion 2 do as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skywalker86)
    People im really stuck on unit 5 Database in ICT AVCE, the part im stuck on is the technical manuel. Could sum1 give me a hand on it pls.

Proper stressed with it, as iv'e got loads of exam revsion 2 do as well
    What is the problem exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to write

ReputationRep:
    About what? What apart of unit 5 are you stuck on? have you made the database yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yea iv'e mad the database. I swear my ict teacher is a complete jocker man, he has not even told on how to go about writing the techinal manuel, he just said look at the criteria n when u ask 4 help, he says "il'l be wid in a minute", by the time he does come 2 u lessons over.

He makes me really angry, just keepn on adding onn d presure for work

ReputationRep:
    The technical manual is quite simple. Just to a datasheet of all your tables and properties for example

Product: Text (20)
    Description TeXt (255)
    Price: Currency

Then just write about how use you database, mention any forms and macros you have created.

I can't remember exactly what is requried as its 3 years since I last did it.

ReputationRep:
    Unit 5 is systems analysis which is a pre-release unit for all exam boards as far as i am aware. You mean unit 6 perhaps. I have only taught OCR but basically the technical doucmentation is as follows for it:

E4

define clearly and accurately in the technical
    documentation:
    • the database structure and data
    relationships

This is an entity relationship diagram showing how you tables will link togeather

• a data dictionary.

This is a word processed table produced in word which shows the examiner what the properties of each of your database tables will be. Nor
    mally you include the folowing columns:

Field Name,
    Data Type (text, number etc)
    Field Size (X Chars if text, interger / real if number etc)
    Validation Rule,
    Description (can be a lengthly description but normally i just ask studetns to make notes whether the field is a primary of foreign key)

• the range of acceptable data
    This is which values can be placed into each field without causing an error. For example if you had a text field of 3 chars, you can enter tom but cant enter chris as it breaks the rules. You can have this as a separte document, within your data dictionary as an additional column or as i recommend as a bondary test within your test plan.

• example output from queries and reports
    annotate printouts from your database showing the reports and queries within your system

• test procedures
    a test plan outlining how you will test your database functions correctly

I also recommend within your technical document you included annotated screen shots of all your database componetns (forms, tables, reports etc)

To get an A you need to have shown how you normalised you database to 3NF this is a pain in the arse and my students didnt do this very well last year. Even so they included some notes, i gave them an A and the exam board didnt mark them down just gave negative feedback to me about my marking which i'll rectify this year.

Hope this helps, unfortunatly my notes are not on me websote for unit 6 yet as i have not taught this unit yet this year - any other problems drop me an email and i'll forward me notes to you.

Remember all advice is for OCR AVCE check your criteria sheet if different exam board but they are all very similar

regards

mr J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJ)
    Unit 5 is systems analysis which is a pre-release unit for all exam boards as far as i am aware. You mean unit 6 perhaps. I have only taught OCR but basically the technical doucmentation is as follows for it:

E4

define clearly and accurately in the technical
    documentation:
    • the database structure and data
    relationships

This is an entity relationship diagram showing how you tables will link togeather

• a data dictionary.

This is a word processed table produced in word which shows the examiner what the properties of each of your database tables will be. Nor
    mally you include the folowing columns:

Field Name,
    Data Type (text, number etc)
    Field Size (X Chars if text, interger / real if number etc)
    Validation Rule,
    Description (can be a lengthly description but normally i just ask studetns to make notes whether the field is a primary of foreign key)

• the range of acceptable data
    This is which values can be placed into each field without causing an error. For example if you had a text field of 3 chars, you can enter tom but cant enter chris as it breaks the rules. You can have this as a separte document, within your data dictionary as an additional column or as i recommend as a bondary test within your test plan.

• example output from queries and reports
    annotate printouts from your database showing the reports and queries within your system

• test procedures
    a test plan outlining how you will test your database functions correctly

I also recommend within your technical document you included annotated screen shots of all your database componetns (forms, tables, reports etc)

To get an A you need to have shown how you normalised you database to 3NF this is a pain in the arse and my students didnt do this very well last year. Even so they included some notes, i gave them an A and the exam board didnt mark them down just gave negative feedback to me about my marking which i'll rectify this year.

Hope this helps, unfortunatly my notes are not on me websote for unit 6 yet as i have not taught this unit yet this year - any other problems drop me an email and i'll forward me notes to you.

Remember all advice is for OCR AVCE check your criteria sheet if different exam board but they are all very similar

regards

mr J
    So do you teach it AVCE ICT then? Whats the average grade at your college?

I got a low B in my Database assignment and the first time we didn't we were not even told how normalise it so everybody failed. I think its stupid expecting you normalise to 3 when you don#t even have to do stuff like SQL.

ReputationRep:
    Chhers for alld advice

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.