Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say subsistence farming, but yes there will be a black winter ahead of us unless governments start to phase it out. Bet thats the year the Torys get voted back in and everyone'll blame it on them...

ReputationRep:
    many things are obviously being done about this. Oil companies who make billions have developed solutions to this problem but these will only be in use once all the oil they hav is sold, because they want to make the maximum amount of money possible first.

The americans spend millions on new technologies that will help us, so although they are the causes of most problems they are also the solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMM)
    How will hydrogen fuel-cells help? To make hydrogen you need electricity, to get electricity you need to burn oil or coal or gas.

What we need is more investment in renewable sources, i.e. solar, wind, and possibly a few more nuclear options, it will be interesting to see how the new ITER fusion plant goes. It is frustrating that wind power is such a good option nowadays, but people are opposed to them because they spoil the landscape, yet they are quite happy for fossil fuel plants to pollute the entire planet.
    Most of the UK's electricity supply is Neclear based and we have 200 years left of coil. We also have plenty of gas, its crude oil we are getting short of.

ReputationRep:
    But we know for a fact that any country which does have oil reserves will eventually be invaded and wars will be fought...

Even so, building nuclear power stations needs oil, just about everything we do needs it. How you going to extract the coal and uranium, how are you going to transport it, how are you going to power the machinery to build it as well as run all the systems and that's just for building a single station!

I seriously reckon it'll either be a choice of subsistence farming or the government rationing farm produce just to keep people going for as long as the economy can get back on track after the Oil Wars and the 2033 Global Economic Collapse.

Truth is: Nobody cares about that happening just yet then we'll panic and look back thinking we had the chance and we didn't do anything...

ReputationRep:
    Aw, quit being so pessimistic, you're depressing me. Or maybe its because Radiohead's just come on the radio.

ReputationRep:
    I read a thing in this month's Focus that a team of scientists decided on 1000 sites that could support wind farms all over the globe.

If these 1000 sites all had turbines it would produce 5 times the amount of electricity we need.

I hate environmentalists 'birds will crash into them and die!'. NATURAL SELECTION WILL SOON SORT THAT ONE OUT, WON'T IT. /rant

ReputationRep:
    Start using public transport then, or get yourself a bike. Too many people let cars define how they live.
    Use the train or your bike from time to time, train and bus services won't improve unless more people use them.
    Some of the best high speed trains continue to have about 3 passengers in a carridge, theres plenty of room that needs filling, and should be filled.

Try getting into London and you'll be caught by massive traffic jams, and at the same time theres high speed modern trains blasting by. People need to think about the alternatives before going somewhere.

As for all this hydrogen powered cars rubbish, it just won't work because people will not be able to afford them!
    The new hydrogen powered buses that started in London and are now being used throughout the country are an excellent step. Using public transport is not only more healthy and much cheaper than a conventional car, but it is also kinder to the environment.

This really isn't an issue that the Government need to sort out, but one which individuals on the ground need to understand.

ReputationRep:
    'birds will crash into them and die!'.
    Got to say I haven't heard that one before. 'Tis the old codgers saying "Ooh no, people might be able to see them" that annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    cant we just splice the dna of anchovies with some3rd world kids like in futurama?

ReputationRep:
    The oil companies really have got the world in their hands.

For example, Diesel, which is used far more than petrol commercially, can be diluted with upto 70% rapeseed oil (completely renewable plant), which could save billions of gallons of diesel a year. But they wont do this because it will harm their profits.
    Normal vegatable oil can be 'converted'(sorry dont know the chemical process) into a diesel mock product, which could be used commercially, but again, the big oil companies dont want to do this either.
    These are just two examples, there are several more.

They are quite literally sucking the earth dry at an alarming rate.

ReputationRep:
    I daresay they'll have planned for when supplies run out. For self-preservation if nothing else.

Now to continue down the ignorance is bliss track... la la lala la la.... la la...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Me and my friend were having a chat about how much petrol has gone up of late. She made me aware that we only have 20 years left in reserves. Is this true?
    ok... calm down. for a start off, its coal thats the issue - we've had 20 years worth of gas/oil left for at least the last 35 years... similarly there has been 200 years of coal left...
    (Original post by AT82)
    Most of the UK's electricity supply is Neclear based and we have 200 years left of coil. We also have plenty of gas, its crude oil we are getting short of.
    not yet it isn't nuclear, but thats what is being pushed for. france is 90% from nuclear sources. tony blair has put forward plans for more reactors, including fusion prototypes, but they wont be ready for at least 20 years because fusion is so bleeding temperamental. current fission reactors are being decommisioned because put simply, they're old and knackered.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don’t know about the 20yrs, but it is going to happen sooner or later. Here in US those dam SUVs (4x4) cause a lot of problems besides being gas-guzzlers. The president has signed a bill to spend more money on hydrogen research. So far hydrogen is made by oil by one of the largest companies. Tests are being done on hydrogen cars and buses. Next year where I live they will be testing two buses. However fueling is done at the company. Not sure how the fueling station will look if such a thing were to happen.

Electric cars will never make it here in the US because were all power and speed hungry so we can kill ourselves faster. India and China are now big consumers of oil too. Something has to be done now not later.

(Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Truth is: Nobody cares about that happening just yet then we'll panic and look back thinking we had the chance and we didn't do anything...
    Truth is if a war were to happen we wouldn't be around to think about anything. Expect the government who would be hiding in bunkers.

No one wants to do anything to stop it. You can spend all the money, but if nothing comes out of it what good is it.

I don’t know, but it isn’t going to be pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Me and my friend were having a chat about how much petrol has gone up of late. She made me aware that we only have 20 years left in reserves. Is this true?
    Obviously a little bit more will be found before then but doesn't it worry anyone else that are whole economy is based on oil and the west seems to be doing little to tackle the problem (what with the USA and its petrol guzzling 4by4s).
    Do you think the governments are actually going to do anything on a large scale to solve the problem? so far they just seem to be burying their heads in the sand.
    I get what u mean...

but the way economies will work is in such a way that the price of petrol will rise to such a high level that all these cleaner energies will replace oil motorised vehicles... balance of power may well change from jus being in the western world....

but what exactly can u do to tackle the problem.... as long as people are willing to pay extortionate prices for petrol there will be no perceived problem

ReputationRep:
    At least you don't always need oil to make hydrogen; you can run electricity through water to split up the H2 and the O.

but what exactly can u do to tackle the problem.... as long as people are willing to pay extortionate prices for petrol there will be no perceived problem
    Again, I'm trying not to put too much faith in commercial giants, but I do think car companies are working on it.

ReputationRep:
    Most goverments know it is going to run out. Its just Bush that needs a slap with a wet fish

A Green Party/Friends of the Earth guy said something like this on TV. Oil is like slavery, our entire economy depends on it, I belive that likem slavery it will phase out, but with what effect to our enviroment (or something)

They'll ruin the lanscape on Antartica eventually, but probably run out before really getting anywhere with replacements.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh i say lets suck energy from the sun or develop technologies to enable us to find another habitable planet and suck the oil out from it and move to another planet so on and so forth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Oil Wars and the 2033 Global Economic Collapse.

wtf? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porkwings)
    wtf? :confused:
    Oil Wars - A future global conflict between oil rich nations and their allies and the rest of the world for the last remaining drops of oil seeing as America already has a headstart with Iraq and Iran coming up, China will see this and mobilise their armies to start taking back for themselves as will the EU...

2033 Global Economic Collapse - Oil begins to run out, attempts to find a solution of renewable energy which'll supply nearly as much energy as oil have failed and the global economy which is growing every year will start to falter and eventually crash.

Feel free to quote me on this in the future

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.