Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    alright....yeah I know lot of people have had theirs or are int he middle of getting prepared like me

so girls do you know what high street shops have good formal wear I can only really think of monsoon and I checked their website and it looks quite bland tbh...or is this not the case in the shops......(lol im taking the lazy way out yeah I know) havent really the time to go to belfast or dublin to get anything grrrrr bloody hospital treatments grrrrr :mad: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    www.asos.com buy something fairly simple and jazz it up. I think that perhaps the full blown ballgown look is impractical if you go out after.
    Better still , if you know what you want , get it made , its not as expensive as you'd think and its perfect.

xx

ReputationRep:
    debenhams does lovely formal dresses.... especially in the matthew williamson range. But thats if you don't mind paying 80-120 squid.....

ReputationRep:
    my price range would be about £80 - £160 xoxo

ReputationRep:
    thanks girls ^_^ xoxo

ReputationRep:
    BHS, I have been told are supposed to be good too.

ReputationRep:
    If you want something less highstreet, there are a few vintage websites that are quite good. For dresses, I like www.vivalafrock.co.uk and www.samimiller.co.uk.

You kind of have to rummage, but its great fun to browse through and there are some genuine finds there.

ReputationRep:
    You could also browse charity shops, you would be surprised at the bargains you could find. Especially in posher towns.

ReputationRep:
    I am gonna match the colour of my dress to the colour of my newbridge silverware necklace.....ill post a picture up soon of it and then ya can see what i mean xoxo

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking of buying this dress form a seller on ebay so what ya think? xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Aww 'tis purrty!!!! I like it.

ReputationRep:
    ...very princessish....argh the glitter!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    lolol glitter is my thing gotta love the glitter :p: lol xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Ooh that's nice. I like how it's corsety. It reminds me of Queen Elizabeth, but with a better fashion sense .

I second whoever said Debenhams. I got my leavers ball dress from them, and I'm still so in love with it! Only cost me £105 (reduced from £140). But I just love Debenhams in general.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm going to be quite honest here, and what I say might go against other posters. No offence. With a formal dress, cutting is really important and you're spending quite a bit of money. If you buy a dress online, you don't get to try it on and see whether it suits your body shape. By the time it gets to you in the mail, you might have to spend even more money on alterations.

The dress you're looking at is nice in a really dreamy way, but I doubt its very versatile (ie. seems like it can only be worn to super fomal but unserious events cos of the sparkles and the colour). How much is it?

I hope you're not insulted , i'm just trying to contribute

ReputationRep:
    karen millen is great for formal wear. i bought a few dresses from there. all good quality too!

ReputationRep:
    Tammy that is a princess dress...beautiful! We never had "formals" exactly so I'm not sure *how* formal dresses need to be. For my ball, which wasn't especially formal, I wore a dress I got from H+M!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renarr)
    Now I'm going to be quite honest here, and what I say might go against other posters. No offence. With a formal dress, cutting is really important and you're spending quite a bit of money. If you buy a dress online, you don't get to try it on and see whether it suits your body shape. By the time it gets to you in the mail, you might have to spend even more money on alterations.

The dress you're looking at is nice in a really dreamy way, but I doubt its very versatile (ie. seems like it can only be worn to super fomal but unserious events cos of the sparkles and the colour). How much is it?

I hope you're not insulted , i'm just trying to contribute
    nah i'm not insulted hunny at all..... its £75.00 it will never be really worn again tbh or i'll sell it to a formal shop I dont mind my mums a dress maker....but I dont want her to make my dress as she stressed out enough as it is.... she can make my alterations for me xoxo

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.