Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all of you. I am from cyprus. This is a small place so you'd be surprised by the percentage of families related to the ppl on the plane. We are all worried sick since morning. No-one has published a list with the passangers.

I might have been talking online with a girl who was on that plane, last night... wishing her a nice trip... I still don't know if she was on the plane but her departure time seems to match the one of the fatal flight.

I'm devastated ... so is everyone else here...

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does it seem like loads of planes are crashing recently? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They're reporting no survivors now :\

ReputationRep:
    Btw all those things about someone sending an SMS from the flying plane are just rumors. TV channels and reporters just made a big fuss out of it. Now they doubt the truthfullness of this fact since there is slight possibility of having a telephone signal at 35000 feet above surface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    They're reporting no survivors now :\
    yes and they say they probably all died before crash Especially if the thing with the aircondition system of the plane is true. Cause that would cause a temperature of -50 degrees celcious inside the plane.

ReputationRep:
    This gives you the pilots thinking of it so you can find out why. http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdi...php?forumid=13

ReputationRep:
    There were 80 children onboard.

Big Aviation Forum: http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2271773/

ReputationRep:
    Really bizarre way to crash :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)
    There were 80 children onboard.

Big Aviation Forum: http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2271773/
    no that was a rumor. There were 48 childeren.

Everyone on the plane appeared to be dead long before the crash due to Air Condition failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Really bizarre way to crash :confused:
    http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdi...php?forumid=13

They were talking about pilots got carbon monoxide poisening as they were blue and wouldnt have been blue from anything else at that height and the cabin crew might not have thought about going into the cokpit as when oxy masks come down they automatically take their seats and wait thinking the pilot would take the plane below 10,000 feet to breathing altitude but it didnt and they may or may not have thought about going into the cockpit or if they did get to the cokpit it was locked. which we would need to look at different ways to keep the cockpit secure but allow crew in easily.

ReputationRep:
    This is a quote from the pilots forum

The German magazin Der SPIEGEL just reported on its online version (in German though: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,369752,00.html) that relatives were attacking the Helios check in counter in Larnaka after the news from greek as well as cypriot media was spread that this particular ac had reportedly problems with pressurization, pax reported that they had lost consciousnes in the same plane before. There also seem to have been a report on greek media that a technician was fired after he denied to report the ac ready to fly ("Flugtauglichkeit" in German, sorry, could not find a translation for it). Helios declined to comment so far.
    This is from the media which seems not to be well liked in these forums (I am not a pilot nor a journalist, just interested pax) but Der SPIEGEL is usually pretty reliable.

In terms of intox: CO-intox causes a pinkish color of the skin, increase in CO2 causes blue color of the skin, more due to the lack of oxyhemoglobine (if I remember my old physiology classes back in Med-School correctly).

Regards

(edited for typos)

quote from pilot forum

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying to cyprus on Helios Airways in 9 days, ******** it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I'm flying to cyprus on Helios Airways in 9 days, ******** it now.
    Yeah from what i can see its down to the company on how they follow procedures, i'd fly british airways even if there are delays, rather than low cost airlines.

ReputationRep:
    The safety regulations Helios Airways have to conform to are the same that British Airways have to, so the difference in prices is wholely due to service. You don't pay extra for safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    The safety regulations Helios Airways have to conform to are the same that British Airways have to, so the difference in prices is wholely due to service. You don't pay extra for safety.
    yeah but that quote i got of the pilots network shows other stuff.
    http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=8

ReputationRep:
    Flugtauglichkeit = ability to fly, or physical state of the plane.

This is so sad.

ReputationRep:
    Quote from pilots forum
    As reported in "Der Spiegel" ( german news-magazine - quite reliable ) the plane experienced several in-flight problems in the past months-all tied to aircond/pressurisation systems malfunctions.
    mechanics refusing to provide airworthness of the plane were fired by the management...

now if that isn't because of the people running the airline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philip2004)
    Yeah from what i can see its down to the company on how they follow procedures, i'd fly british airways even if there are delays, rather than low cost airlines.
    Ridiculous. The price of the flight has nothing to do with the safety of the plane. The Airlines commitee will be down, investigating all planes manufatured for Helios and sister/similar airlines. This sort of panic is irrational and rather silly, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Ridiculous. The price of the flight has nothing to do with the safety of the plane. The Airlines commitee will be down, investigating all planes manufatured for Helios and sister/similar airlines. This sort of panic is irrational and rather silly, if you ask me.
    o.k then i'll rephrase it i wont fly helios because the management sacked the engineers because the engineers said the plane shouldnt fly and that they wouldnt sign the plane off for airworthiness. all you have to do is read forum. and i dont mind low cost airlines but i'd go with an airline that looks at problems rather than discards them. this has happened to this exact plane before and had an emergency landing. other airlines i know would have done something about it.

ReputationRep:
    actually the engineers quit and then they came back working at the company. Guess why?

5 times the salary they got before...

May those ppl burn pls? :mad:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.