Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Oh for god's sake, they're still around? If you want to support the charity, give the money direct to them and don't let a slice of your donation go towards some manufacturer that couldn't give a **** about the charity. That slice could go towards something more worthwhile than a crappy fashion statement. I frown upon anyone who wears them - whether they wear it as a fashion statement or to raise awareness. I don't buy the raising awareness thing anyway because you can't read what it says on them unless you closely scrutinise it.

PROVE to me that you care about the charity and not the fashion. CUT THE BUGGERS UP! :mad:
    *shrugs* fair enough.

a friend of mine wrote "make poverty fashionable" around her wrist once. i thought that made the point better than cutting the bands up.

kind of an irrelevant post, but hey, ideas for any charity band haters out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman1122)
    Everywhere i go i see people wearin the coloured charity bands like a fashion statement, and alot of the ppl are uni students, just wanted to know who here is wearin them and wich colours are they wearing. i personally dont wear them because i wear a khara (religious bangal) thas all i need...........
    i wear nothing around my arms...
    ok...
    a ring on my finger if that counts...

ReputationRep:
    i bet most ppl who wear them have no idea what they stand for........and ebay and that are ripping it off cos they wont pass on the money to charities

i got an anti racism one, lance armstrong one and beat bullying one.

ReputationRep:
    I wore the yellow livestrong one as soon as it came out in the US for quite a while, but ditched it last week for a dark blue "greed is good" band.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Christian wristband with a fish and 'Mathhew 7:12' on it.
    Go to http://www.biblegateway.com if you want to know what the verse says.
    I have had a good response to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman1122)
    Everywhere i go i see people wearin the coloured charity bands like a fashion statement, and alot of the ppl are uni students, just wanted to know who here is wearin them and wich colours are they wearing. i personally dont wear them because i wear a khara (religious bangal) thas all i need...........
    i have a white one for poverty and a green one (save species world wide) and no i don't wear it as a fashion statement. These are two issues that i am very concerned about and it would annoy me if people did wear them as a fashion statement. They are supposed to raise awareness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fonzievision)
    I wore the yellow livestrong one as soon as it came out in the US for quite a while, but ditched it last week for a dark blue "greed is good" band.
    Yeap. I have only bought one that isn't charity related :eek:

It's red. It's made by some fans of my favourite TV show (that got cancelled...) and says 'Irreversibly Contaminated'. Incidentally, I had to buy 5. So if anyone actually recognises that quote, PM me and I'll happily send you one!

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear any of these charity bands. At the end of the day they are a fashion statement and the majority of people who were them probably dont give a toss about the charity. I can't believe how many fake charity bands there are also. People either buy them because they want the band as a fashion statement or because they are fools and think they are the real deal and their money will go to charity. It's just another fad which I thought might have faded by now. I hate to say it but my friend wears 3 bands and there is no doubt that they are fake. The sad thing is that she actually believes her money has gone to a good cause rather than in the back of someones pocket.

ReputationRep:
    I have a white Make Povery History one and a red AIDS one (which I got from a Daniel Bedingfield concert!) but I don't wear them. I think sometimes people who wear them just do it to make them feel like they're good for supporting charities, but to support charities you actually need to be more active!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and I agree, they're more fashion statement. I mean if celebs didn't weat them, nobody would!

ReputationRep:
    I have the yellow LA Cancer one, and a Make Poverty History one. I wear the white one because otherwise my right wrist is a bit lonely

ReputationRep:
    I have a green and yellow 'I Love Barbados' band which is much cooler :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I have an Alzheimer's one that I don't wear except at Alzheimer's Society events, because I volunteer with them. I want one saying Jihad Against the Infidels, but I haven't yet found anyone selling those. I had to make my own. It's remarkably pretty.
    Does anyone really not want to make poverty history?

ReputationRep:
    I have them, i dont wear them.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why people are ****ging off the wristbands! Of course wearing them is making a difference even! The whole idea is to promote the issues that are problems in society today. From the whole wristband evolution a lot more people will be aware of such issues as testicular cancer and an understanding of such a problem will undoubtebly lead to greater early detection and so subsequently saving people's lives! I respect anyone who wears them, people who are ****ging them off are just people who dont want to be seen as following trends and want to be different! Get a life and **** off a cause that isnt worthy where as wristbands clearly are good causes!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, Legend. Think about the amount of money these charities have raised through selling wristbands! Would people have donated the money if they didn't buy a wristband? I don't think so. And the awareness of lots of issues has definately been raised in society.

ReputationRep:
    I wear the 'make poverty history' band. Most people at school wear the pink breast cancer ones and the red organ donating ones.

ReputationRep:
    the red organ donating ones.
    Are they donors?

And the awareness of lots of issues has definately been raised in society.
    For a couple of weeks. Now the majority of people think poverty is being worked alot harder on

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Stand Up Speak Up wristband.
    No offence but IMO they're the worst of the lot. Not only is 90% of it pure fashion, the place the money is going to is questionable (Thierry Henri isn't it) and its all about publicity for Nike. That said I don't know much about football so correct me if I'm wrong.

As fads go I'm no more found of this than I was Pokemon (what a long time ago that seems): but I do think its good that a lot of the money from a fad is going to charities rather than a multi-national gaming giant.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Livestrong band from the Tour de France, I was gutted when everyone started wearing them for other stupid causes and getting fake ones. It looked like I was some kind of fashion victim. Then my one snapped and I was even more gutted :bawling: So now I'm going to buy some 10//2 clothes

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.