Turn on thread page Beta

Which subject compliments these 3? watch

ReputationRep:
    I.T or
    German or
    Psychology

to go with.... Biology, Eng Lang and Media?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBellyBaby)
    I.T or
    German or
    Psychology

to go with.... Biology, Eng Lang and Media?

Thanks
    German or psychology. Don't do I.T, whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    I personally think ITs a bit of a poo subject because you obviously know how to use a computer.. and the coursework my friends had to doo just looked so tedious. You've already got two relatively heavy-going subjects.. biology and english, so a subject like german is going to be a hell of a lot of work on top of that, languages are always tough at A level, so unless you like lots of work, or think you can handle the pressure, i'd choose psychology, not that i'm biased at all...

ReputationRep:
    Ask your self this... which one do you enjoy the best?
    Any ideas on a career?

I'm guessing Psychology would be a new subject to you, this would mean you'd be learning new stuff which can be fun and interesing.
    German will be tough but if you want a career in languages then go for it, if not, then dont pick it as it will be a lot of hard work. If you're unsure then take it, so there will be no regrets.
    I do IT and it's pretty simple subject. The 3rd Unit is the largest, which is coursework. Unit 1 is pretty much common sense, unit 2 is a but more difficult.

If you like coursework and you like ICT at school, then go for ICT, it is an easy enough subject and the exams are not tough at all.
    However, if you are not sure about using a language in later life, then I would take that.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    German or psychology. Don't do I.T, whatever you do.
    what's wrong with ICT?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your opinions, v.much appreciated I was already starting to go off the idea of IT!

Do you think the choice of subjects is good overall and keep my options relatively open?

ReputationRep:
    How come?
    I.T is basically a crash course in Microsoft Office which involves production of a vast amount of coursework; I learnt very little.
    The syllabus that I followed resembled:
    Unit 1: Documents (Using Word and publisher to make coursework).
    Unit 2: Spreadsheets (Using Excel to make coursework).
    Unit 3: Exam (Patronising, not up to the standard of other subjects).
    Unit 4: Something about computer installations (Setting up a computer and upgrading one. Very tedious.)
    Unit 5: Exam (Again, patronising).
    Unit 6: Databases (Using Microsoft Access to make coursework).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your opinions, v.much appreciated I was already starting to go off the idea of IT!

Do you think the choice of subjects is good overall and keep my options relatively open?
    It depends on what you want to do when your older.
    Any ideas?

The combination is fine I guess. English and Media go well together. Biology is hard thats why I suggested you go for a softer subject such as ICT to compensate this, and to get a good grade!!

ReputationRep:
    I.T is a joke of a subject. It's basically a crash course in Microsoft Office which involves production of a vast amount of coursework; I learnt very little.
    and also, involves uber use of the 'print screen' key, especially when tackling a project entitled 'how to copy and paste'

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comments Luke Your right psychology would be new to me therefore would find this interesting it's just I have no idea on a career :/

ReputationRep:

I would suggest you do German, as languages are becoming less common and having that could make you stand out from the crowd. And as for your overall choices is there a particular reason your doing English Language rather than English Lit? Because from what I've heard, Lit is more interesting and more highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    and also, involves uber use of the 'print screen' key, especially when tackling a project entitled 'how to copy and paste'
    Excellent point! How could I forget abusing the 'print screen' key to make each coursework around 150-200 pages?
    Another abuse I remember is other people in my class constantly badgering the teacher as to how to improve their coursework using the minimum effort, without reading the specifications.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed languages are becoming less common and this could be a good thing like you said 'making me stand out from the crowd.' However, I don't think I would ever use it in later life therefore a waste and I wasn't very good at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I.T is basically a crash course in Microsoft Office which involves production of a vast amount of coursework; I learnt very little.
    The syllabus that I followed resembled:
    Unit 1: Documents (Using Word and publisher to make coursework).
    Unit 2: Spreadsheets (Using Excel to make coursework).
    Unit 3: Exam (Patronising, not up to the standard of other subjects).
    Unit 4: Something about computer installations (Setting up a computer and upgrading one. Very tedious.)
    Unit 5: Exam (Again, patronising).
    Unit 6: Databases (Using Microsoft Access to make coursework).
    What exam board are you with?
    I tend to agree but it's not as bad as you make out. If you want a good grade then ICT is easy enough to do that.

I'm with AQA
    Unit 1: Information - Nature, Role and Context which is an EXAM 30%
    Unit 2: Information - Management and Manipulation which is an EXAM 30%
    Unit 3: Coursework - My school chose the Spreadsheet coursework, butdifferent centres choose different things, such as websites etc. 40%
    100%
    Unit 4: Informaiton Systems EXAM 30%
    Unit 5: Information: Policy, Strategy and Systems. EXAM 30%
    Unit 6: Coursework, my centre does a database... boring! But other centres choose other things. 40%

100%

ReputationRep:
    + No there is not a particular reason why I chose Lang over Lit, I have heard it is highly regarded - more so than Lang *so confused*

ReputationRep:
    I think psychology would complement biology pretty well, but at the end of the day, you have to choose the subject you think you'll enjoy the most and get the best grade in. You don't actually need A-level psychology to do the degree, so that will be an option whatever you choose, as will English language and media courses. If you choose ICT you also have the option of doing that, and if you pick German, you'll leave languages open. If you choose subjects you enjoy at A-level, you're more likely to come up with a degree you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    + No there is not a particular reason why I chose Lang over Lit, I have heard it is highly regarded - more so than Lang *so confused*
    Literature is definitely more respected than language, but it depends which you enjoy more. Lit is basically the same as the GCSE but in more depth, whereas lang is nothing like the GCSE and will involve looking at language acquisition, dialects etc.

ReputationRep:
    I originally chose ICT as I thought alot of careers would be useful to be more ICT illiterate although as I was lazy at GCSE now i'm potentially only looking at a grade D/E although I could have attained B/C. However, because of this I am not highly regarded by the head of ICT and she has warned me against it. Also, I dont think any other girls are taking it which is a pretty pathetic reason but still something i've taken into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah and i found there were lots of connections between media and psychology, it made things a bit more understandable, if you're planning on studying media at uni also, they like you to have psychology as one of your AS. Psychology and biology would go well together as kellywood said, you'll find lots of links there too, and everyone but me in my psychology class did english lit, which helped them in their essays and reading or whatever, my writing skills never really got fully refined!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.