The feeling quite
    Disarming
    Like the rythmn i've displayed upon
    This
    Page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mittal)
    Eng Lit??? :eek: Write me a poem :rolleyes: :p:
    English Lit is about analysis of writing structures, not writing poems ^o)

ReputationRep:
    As an English, Law and Government & Politics student, I think of myself somewhere in the middle of this little dispute over "easy" vs "hard" A-levels.

I absolutely reject that all the maths, science and english subjects are harder than media studies or RS for one reason; it depends entirely on the individual and what they enjoy studying.

I started my ASs with 5 subjects: Eng lang; eng lit; law; govt & politics and Graphics. Which one was I failing miserably in, and couldn't understand at all? Graphics. NOT English, I find that interesting and enjoyable, and thus easy.

One of my best friends is the 4th best physics student in the UK, and she studies 5 subjects, none of which are essay based (all maths and science). If, however, I gave her a Jane Austen novel and asked her to write an essay about it she would fail miserably, and she would find it incredibly difficult.

Being realistic though, a biology A-level is not going to get you far in politics or the legal profession, and a law degree will get you nowhere in physics. It depends on the individual and qualifications should be analysed on their individual merits.

If I personally had to study health and social care I would loathe it and fail miserably.
    Anybody who makes the kind of gross generalisations i've witnessed in this thread clearly hasn't thought this out fully.

ReputationRep:
    lol, exactly!
    The cringe worthy thing is that is the kind of things they actually do

Someone in my Economics class did media, and what coursework did he do for 10% of his Alevel grade?
    Designed a CD cover

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to hit some of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    lol, exactly!
    The cringe worthy thing is that is the kind of things they actually do

Someone in my Economics class did media, and what coursework did he do for 10% of his Alevel grade?
    Designed a CD cover
    *repeats free thinker mantra*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    English Lit is about analysis of writing structures, not writing poems ^o)
    English Lit is also about appreciating and creating.

I mean if you say you're good at Eng Lit, one would expect you to be able to create aswell as analyse other text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Being realistic though, a biology A-level is not going to get you far in politics or the legal profession, and a law degree will get you nowhere in physics..
    And a media Alevel/Degree will get you knowhere in the media field.
    Ironically, newspapers and the like dont want to touch any graduates with degrees in media!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    *repeats free thinker mantra*
    If repetition is necessary for such a hard concept to sink in....go right ahead

ReputationRep:
    English Lit is also about appreciating and creating.

I mean if you say you're good at Eng Lit, one would expect you to be able to create aswell as analyse other text.
    Yeah, but you don't do any creating on the English Lit syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm I agree with BK, it depends on the individuals' interests, and bear in mind that some people are just better at different things. I was AWFUL at maths and science and they were my worst GCSE grades [B's] and much better at English, History, RS, Drama, French etc which were my A* subjects.

I know for a fact that some of my friends who do science A levels wouldn't be able to write a decent History essay.

I also reject that RS is easy, I found some of the A2 very challenging [the Philosophy modules] and there really were some complex concepts to learn. I despised English Language A2 with a passion and thus I know I won't have done as well as in RS, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithless)
    "not what it seems"

Ponder
    The peculiar
    Be perceptive and receptive
    To the
    Strange
    For it's seemingly
    Alarming
    And
    The feeling quite
    Disarming
    Like the rythmn i've displayed upon
    This
    Page
    Thats quite good actually, although I can sense the improvisation in it. Yet very nice, the fact that there were 13 lines there scared me! :fisheye:

I suppose whatever a person says can be thought of in a more deeply state, be it poetically or philosophically.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, newspapers and the like dont want to touch any graduates with degrees in media!
    I imagine the media profession goes far beyond the press, but please intrigue me; Which "newspapers and the like" refuse media degrees? Sounds a bit stupid to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thats quite good actually, although I can sense the improvisation in it. Yet very nice, the fact that there were 13 lines there scared me! :fisheye:

I suppose whatever a person says can be thought of in a more deeply state, be it poetically or philosophically.
    thank you

I wrote that 10 years ago (when I was 14)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Yeah, but you don't do any creating on the English Lit syllabus.
    You should always keep your mind free and not concentrate on the Eng Lit syllabus too much if you really want to be good in a subject like Eng Lit :p:

ReputationRep:
    You should always keep your mind free and not concentrate on the Eng Lit syllabus too much if you really want to be good in a subject like Eng Lit :p:
    I do. I did English Lit AS a year early and I'm hoping for an A.

ReputationRep:
    Really, where did you hear that from?

(Original post by faithless)
    If repetition is necessary for such a hard concept to sink in....go right ahead
    I think it is taking so long for it to sink in because the concept is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a huge fan of poems myself.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree....it's all open to interpretation

ReputationRep:
    That is actually true.... they prefere a strong english based subject....even law would better serve you for getting into the media industry.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.