Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Thats the first thing that you've said that I agree with.
    I do hope you recieved the tinge or sarcasm with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich)
    Maybe, but UCAS does not disclose UMS marks to universities AFAIK and do students do not have to tell them to universities, so it does not solve the problem.
    My course requires certified proof of grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich)
    Maybe, but UCAS does not disclose UMS marks to universities AFAIK and do students do not have to tell them to universities, so it does not solve the problem.
    Well disclosing the UMS marks would be easier than introducing a new "A*" at A level...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Can you please quote where I've said that.
    Question: Do you think an MS and History grad are the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich)
    Yes but if a university cannot make a decision on a candidate who needed AAA but got AAB, they may ask the student what their modular scores were when the student 'phones them up to ask if they've been successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    Question: Do you think an MS and History grad are the same?
    No. One's MS and one's history. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Thats the first thing that you've said that I agree with.
    It's a relative isn't it though. If someone has their sight set on a career as a bin man then their prospective employer isn't going to care where they got their degree from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Yes but if a university cannot make a decision on a candidate who needed AAA but got AAB, they may ask the student what their modular scores were when the student 'phones them up to ask if they've been successful.
    OK, but that's slightly different. In that case, the student has not made the grade, it's not on the university's shoulders to accept them. It's up to the student to convince them to do so and thus the university can ask them their module grades and not let them in unless they disclose them (or could ask them anything else).

AFAIK, offers can only be made on condition of certain grades being met, not certain UMS marks.

ReputationRep:
    It does say that you can make reference to particularly good modular scores in your personal statement if you so wish

ReputationRep:
    No. One's MS and one's history. :rolleyes:
    Rephrased: Do you think they are equivalent in terms of employment prospects and employer desirability?

ReputationRep:
    Rephrased: Do you think they are equivalent in terms of employment prospects and employer desirability?
    Impossible to answer; two completely different degrees, two completely different careers. Cannot compare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich)
    OK, but that's slightly different. In that case, the student has not made the grade, it's not on the university's shoulders to accept them. It's up to the student to convince them to do so and thus the university can ask them their module grades and not let them in unless they disclose them (or could ask them anything else).
    I am fully prepared to beg (and then some) if I don't get them!!

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to answer; two completely different degrees, two completely different careers. Cannot compare.
    Proper answer: the History grad is more desirable, even in the media industry, which can be safely assumed is what an MS degree is catered for.
    Simple.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to Cambridge in early October last year I got a letter a few weeks after requesting all my AS modular scores. That enables uni's like Oxbridge to separate the very good from the outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Nah there is truth in that Beekeeper.

The majority of journalists at broadsheet papers are Oxbridge graduates in subjects such as English Literature. I wanted to go into journalism right up until I got my AS results, and thought about doing a Journalism/Media degree. I was advised against it and told to do English or History instead, at a top university - and build up a selection of articles over the coming years. I applied for Law in the end.
    lol, understandable I suppose. I imagine this is because history students are generally more witty than the average media student. I doubt it boils down to the course itself, given how relevant media studies is.

In the coming years, as Media studies is taken up by more intelligent people in their A levels, I think the commercial sector will respect it more.

Anyway i'm done, can't be bothered defending media students.

ReputationRep:
    Proper answer: the History grad is more desirable, even in the media industry, which can be safely assumed is what an MS degree is catered for.
    Simple.
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    An industry where people skills are necessary above academic competance would prob favour a media degree

ReputationRep:
    red_roadkill is media studies regarded as a soft subject just for A levels or for a degree?

ReputationRep:
    Says who?
    not been reading the last few posts on here then?

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to Cambridge in early October last year I got a letter a few weeks after requesting all my AS modular scores. That enables uni's like Oxbridge to separate the very good from the outstanding.
    But they couldn't make you offers based on your A-level UMS marks could they? The strongest condition they can make on your A-levels is that you obtain all As. I suppose it's a reasonable assumption that you will do just as well at A-level as you did at AS-level, but I also mentioned earlier the disadvantages of using such a finely grained scheme as UMS to judge two different students.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.