The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ramroff
not been reading the last few posts on here then?

Oh becuase TSR members are a bloody world renouned authority aren't they.
Reply 241
HTT....why your results delayed??
Reply 242
gwright
Take a look at O-Level maths, then you'll see what I mean. O-Levels are still taken by the international students, and they're based on the old O-Levels from the UK...

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/maths/olevelmaths/ppOLevelMaths/4024_s03_qp_1.pdf
That's a past paper for it, from 2003. That is a much higher standard than GCSE.

My GCSE paper was harder than this!
faithless
HTT....why your results delayed??

My school is too lazy to open on the 18th for the early AS level candidates so they're releasing them at the same time as my GCSEs :mad:
kitsune
My GCSE paper was harder than this!

Agreed.
Reply 245
HearTheThunder
Oh becuase TSR members are a bloody world renouned authority aren't they.

They are repeating the advice of others.

red_roadkill says:

The majority of journalists at broadsheet papers are Oxbridge graduates in subjects such as English Literature. I wanted to go into journalism right up until I got my AS results, and thought about doing a Journalism/Media degree. I was advised against it and told to do English or History instead, at a top university - and build up a selection of articles over the coming years. I applied for Law in the end.

addict says:

Unfortunately I havent got any sources on this specific subject, but I can confirm that if you look at requirements for high positions in any of the above, they will ask for a traditional degree (ie, History).

red roadkill again:

Media degrees are not well thought of in the media profession. Newspapers [decent ones, national and good locals] will generally want a graduate in an academic, rigorous subject such as English Lit. Media studies is still regarded as a soft subject, and in the competitive field of journalism you often need to be better than that.

MS is a doss. Accept it. yawn.
Reply 246
HearTheThunder
My school is too lazy to open on the 18th for the early AS level candidates so they're releasing them at the same time as my GCSEs :mad:

That's terrible!!!! :eek:
Rich
But they couldn't make you offers based on your A-level UMS marks could they? The strongest condition they can make on your A-levels is that you obtain all As. I suppose it's a reasonable assumption that you will do just as well at A-level as you did at AS-level, but I also mentioned earlier the disadvantages of using such a finely grained scheme as UMS to judge two different students.

Well, in my interview feedback letter they wrote [I quote]:

"...although Matthew achieved A grades in his AS level subjects, the strength of these grades were not quite as high as those candidates who we were able to make offers to. He was, therefore, regrettably squeezed out by the strength of the competition".

And Lillith Grimore who posts on TSR applied for Law at St Catz, Cambridge like me. She got in .We both did History AS, we both got A's, but her A was about 40 UMS points higher or something significantly better. She also had a set of top UMS scores across the board, whereas my AS's [although A grades], were low to middle A's.

I reckon, alongside interview and GCSE grades, that UMS scores were important to making decisions, especially when there were SO many candidates [72 interviewed and 8 offers :eek: ].
ramroff
They are repeating the advice of others.

MS is a doss. Accept it. yawn.

3 quotes, 2 people, already you're putting a spin on it. Secondly, they don't have any authority. Thirdly, you'll NEVER influence me Ramroff :wink:
faithless
That's terrible!!!! :eek:

I know... I've gotta wade through the speculation over "Grade boundaries must have gone up/down in xyz subject!!" before I get them :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 250
HearTheThunder
3 quotes, 2 people, already you're putting a spin on it. Secondly, they don't have any authority. Thirdly, you'll NEVER influence me Ramroff :wink:

just out of interest what are you all applying for?
Reply 251
HearTheThunder

Because the subject whose coursework consists of designing a CD Cover is just as good as Eng Lit or History isnt it :wink:
faithless

At college?

Computing History French Psychology Philosophy General Critical
ramroff
Because the subject whose coursework consists of designing a CD Cover is just as good as Eng Lit or History isnt it :wink:

You've never taken Media A level, so shut up and take it before you comment. :smile:
Reply 254
faithless

Are you asking me as well? :confused:
Reply 255
HearTheThunder
You've never taken Media A level, so shut up and take it before you comment. :smile:

I've seen the course outline, looked at a few textbooks, asked other people, decided not to take it.

Plus, the battering MS gets constantly and its reputation as a mickey mouse course must have substance?
ramroff
I've seen the course outline, looked at a few textbooks, asked other people, decided not to take it.

Plus, the battering MS gets constantly and its reputation as a mickey mouse course must have substance?

Why must it?
Reply 257
ramroff
Are you asking me as well? :confused:

every1....i'm just intrigued
Reply 258
what u all plan to do at uni?
faithless
what u all plan to do at uni?

internet comp/software engineering

Latest