Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Well, in my interview feedback letter they wrote [I quote]:

"...although Matthew achieved A grades in his AS level subjects, the strength of these grades were not quite as high as those candidates who we were able to make offers to. He was, therefore, regrettably squeezed out by the strength of the competition".

And Lillith Grimore who posts on TSR applied for Law at St Catz, Cambridge like me. She got in .We both did History AS, we both got A's, but her A was about 40 UMS points higher or something significantly better. She also had a set of top UMS scores across the board, whereas my AS's [although A grades], were low to middle A's.

I reckon, alongside interview and GCSE grades, that UMS scores were important to making decisions, especially when there were SO many candidates [72 interviewed and 8 offers :eek: ].
    I totally agree that universities like Ox and Cam do use AS UMS marks to base their decisions of who to give offers to, but I don't think it's an ideal situation since they cannot enforce similar constraints on the results of your A-level grades since offers can only be made in terms of grades and not UMS marks. It almost gives more weighting to your AS results than your A-level results in situations like these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithless)
    every1....i'm just intrigued
    Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Why must it?
    Because its rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    I've seen the course outline, looked at a few textbooks, asked other people, decided not to take it.

Plus, the battering MS gets constantly and its reputation as a mickey mouse course must have substance?
    it just means there are fewer people willing to go against the grain....people still put so much on an oxbridge degree even though they are not wonderful in some subjects....it's predjudice and small mindedness winning the day again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because its rubbish.
    Oh what fantastic justification, really, that would hold up in the International Court of Justice you know...

ReputationRep:
    Oh what fantastic justification, really, that would hold up in the International Court of Justice you know...
    You are the one with the lack of 'fantastic justification', I have shown you other people's posts about ADVICE they have received about MS not being very good, I can show you links to show this, but you have done nothing to back up your view apart from going " :rolleyes: "

ReputationRep:
    You are the one with the lack of 'fantastic justification', I have shown you other people's posts about ADVICE they have received about MS not being very good, I can show you links to show this, but you have done nothing to back up your view apart from going " :rolleyes: "
    Sorry but I find it hard to take you seriously.

You decided Media Studies was crap because you quickly skimmed through a few textbooks and heard some elitist Oxford rumours...

*prepares for your reply "i did not skim! theyre not rumours!"* ^o)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I find it hard to take you seriously.

You decided Media Studies was crap because you quickly skimmed through a few textbooks and heard some elitist Oxford rumours...

*prepares for your reply "i did not skim! theyre not rumours!"* ^o)
    Show me the last serious article you read that showed Media Studies was just as good, if not better than Hist, Eng Lit, French, etc etc.

I find it hard to take you seriously because you think an MS degree or an MS A level qualification is highly respected in competitive industries and/or for competitive jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Show me the last serious article you read that showed Media Studies was just as good, if not better than Hist, Eng Lit, French, etc etc.

I find it hard to take you seriously because you think an MS degree or an MS A level qualification is highly respected in competitive industries and/or for competitive jobs.
    I'm getting tired of asking this, find where I said that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting tired of asking this, find where I said that.
    You have said many times that you think an MS degree is just as good. In fact, you have hardly shown any evidence to back up your happy-world-like beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    You have said many times that you think an MS degree is just as good. In fact, you have hardly shown any evidence to back up your happy-world-like beliefs.
    I've said Media Studies is fine in specific industries where it is needed.

And neither have you, you've just provided me with TSR member's quotes.

ReputationRep:
    What is actually the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Oh here we go again, the results are out in a few days, so the 'exams are getting easier' brigade are out in full force as usual :rolleyes: If we do better than last year, it's because exams have been dumbed down, and if we don't, it's because schools aren't making enough progress. We can't win! Why must ignorant politicians and journalists who have no idea what they're talking about belittle all our hard work and achievements every single year? Why is that just because the pass rate has increased and more people have got As, the exams must be getting easier? Doesn't it even occur to these people that maybe, just maybe, it's because students are working harder for the exams because they realise how important they are and teachers are getting better at preparing students for exams through increased access to specifications, past papers, mark schemes and examiners' reports from previous years? If any of these people actually had to experience being a student nowadays, they'd realise the intense pressure we're under to do well because of more exams more often and increased competition for university places, and they wouldn't say exams were getting easier.

The only thing I agree with is that introducing unlimited resits has made it easier to pass with a good grade. I think they should either be scrapped altogether or at least limited to 1 resit per unit. As for how universities can differentiate between applicants, just let them see the UMS marks as well as grades. At the moment, someone with 480/600 is treated the same as someone with 495/600, but if the universities could see their UMS marks, they wouldn't be. Problem solved.

I really cannot believe the narrow-minded ignorance of certain people on this thread bleating about how As in certain subjects are worth more than As in others etc etc. I knew this would degenerate into a 'mickey mouse' debate before long :rolleyes: It's really sad and pathetic that people are so insecure, they need to put down subjects they've never even studied and go on about how much harder their subjects are just to make themselves feel superior. Just accept that different subjects require different skills and people are good at different things! Someone who was a whizz at maths and science might find A-level physics a piece of piss, but if they had no practical or creative talent and couldn't write an essay to save their life, they'd find media studies very difficult.

[End of rant] Phew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)

[End of rant] Phew!
    I see in your sig you have a B in media studies? a B?! Jesus, Ramroff must think you're thick considering Media is so easy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I see in your sig you have a B in media studies? a B?! Jesus, Ramroff must think you're thick considering Media is so easy :rolleyes:
    Yep, I must be thick, despite my A* in French, A in English, A in English lit, AA in science, A in history and A in RS :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've said Media Studies is fine in specific industries where it is needed.

And neither have you, you've just provided me with TSR member's quotes.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t9798.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_theory

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...534416,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Now I shall expect credible links from you to show that Media Studies is on par with other traditional subjects and that is it respected

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t9798.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_theory

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...534416,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Now I shall expect credible links from you to show that Media Studies is on par with other traditional subjects and that is it respected
    But why, I never said it was.

(Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yep, I must be thick, despite my A* in French, A in English, A in English lit, AA in science, A in history and A in RS :rolleyes:
    one cannot compare gcse grades in justification to A level grades.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, oh dear Ramroff, in your own source:

"But it's often from people who should know better and this criticism belies the fact that 80% of those qualified in media studies get jobs in the media within two years. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    one cannot compare gcse grades in justification to A level grades.
    No, but surely if A-level media studies is so easy, the GCSE should be even more so and hence I should have got an A* with no work?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.