Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    I provided a figure, from YOUR source.

So we're reduced to insulting now?

Right, if you can't debate without insulting, then I'm not continuing.

End of debate.
    you were the one that started the insulting long ago. goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    1) Do MS degree
    2) 80% of people get a sucessful job
    3) Get a sucessful job
    4) The End

Sorry, where's the problem?

Dont hang with the 80% statistic. What they fail to tell you is what sector of media the 4/5 people who did a media studies degree are in.
    It could range from a menial job such as photocopying, which does not require an education let alone a degree, to a writing for the Guardian.
    I suspect the majority of the lucky 80%s employment will be concentrated in the former, due the nature of the field

(Original post by faithless)
    maths is incredibly easy to some people whereas they may lack the creativity to be successful on a media based course....I personally would do rubbish on a media course :p:
    Exactly, ditto. But which is the more valuable better qualification? Maths i do believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    is it really worht arguing over something so stupid? :rolleyes:
    i just cant believe people will even consider the notion that MS is perfect and respectable.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, ditto. But which is the more valuable better qualification? Maths i do believe
    It hasn't had long enough to become a respected subject though

(Original post by ramroff)
    i just cant believe people will even consider the notion that MS is perfect and respectable.
    Exactly, MS looks pathetic on your CV, MS degree is laughed upon. Quite frankly i would be embarassed if i went into a top notch job, and they saw i had an A level in MS.

ReputationRep:
    and this is not even a 'science' stream bias, the traditional humanities degrees like History, English and so on are still just as respected as a Maths degree.

But not MS.

rubbish ,its had long enough to be classed as a mickey mouse subject

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, MS looks pathetic on your CV, MS degree is laughed upon. Quite frankly i would be embarassed if i went into a top notch job, and they saw i had an A level in MS.
    Well i did MS in one year, putting that on my CV [doing it in 1 year] whilst doing maths physics psychology in 1 year will look good for me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Dont hang with the 80% statistic. What they fail to tell you is what sector of media the 4/5 people who did a media studies degree are in.
    It could range from a menial job such as photocopying, which does not require an education let alone a degree, to a writing for the Guardian.
    I suspect the majority of the lucky 80%s employment will be concentrated in the former, due the nature of the field
    what he quoted did not even say those 80% went to a successful job, all it said was a job in media, which could be anything.

ReputationRep:
    then I pity you for still caring what others may think AFTER landing the job

and this is not even a 'science' stream bias, the traditional humanities degrees like History, English and so on are still just as respected as a Maths degree.

But not MS.
    Yes quite. The traditional are always better in my opinion, and are FAR more respected.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. For some reason, new subjects are automatically seen as easy just because they're new whereas more traditional subjects are respected just because they've been around longer. It really is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    then I pity you for still caring what others may think AFTER landing the job
    you (or one for HTT) probably wouldn't get the top job in the first place if it was a MS degree.

I have a Business Studies AS.

I'm very sorry; I was young and foolish at the time.

ReputationRep:
    The way i see it is this. I doubt the exam boards would purposely make the syllabi for newer subjects like MS and Food Technology easier than older, more well-established, subjects without being given the order to do so from above. There is no evidence to suggest that order has been given.

Media studies and similar subjects get called mickey mouse subjects yet the number of A grade students is lower

If the above is true, it suggests that these subjects are equally difficult as the more well-established subjects.

Personally i don't think A-Levels in these newer subjects are necessarily any easier than the older more established subjects. However, there is a real difference between difficulty and usefulness, both in a vocational sense and also with regards to university application. The way in which History, for example, is certainly better than Media Studies is that it is viewed by universities as a more valuable qualification. If, as many do, you view A-Levels as a stepping stone to uni, then a degree in MS is undoubtedly inferior.

Of course if you are purely interested in the vocational side of any given qualification, then the value of the qualification is directly related to the profession you wish to enter.

ReputationRep:
    you (or one for HTT) probably wouldn't get the top job in the first place if it was a MS degree.
    I reiterate, I'm not taking MS.

What's your opinion on Philosophy?

ReputationRep:
    but you get my point....why be embarressed if u get the job :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Flukey, when are you taking it up the arse from ramroff? Bloody hell; too much "brown-nosing", for my liking. It's stupefying, the prodigious lengths people go to, despite them being blatently injudiciously wrong. To quote ramroff, ":rolleyes:" :/

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.