Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it's on channel 4 news now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itz_ant)

However, look at the equivalent gcses in the 1990's (O-levels - also done when one is 16), and these test concepts, that are equal to or even surpass today's a level.

GCSEs have been there since 1989, apparently, even then the media was criticising them for being far too easy. This isn't new.

ReputationRep:
    This bit made me laugh on SKY news:

"we should consider congratulating students who have got AAA, as a levels are so much easier now, should they be congratulated?"

^lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwright)
    Take a look at O-Level maths, then you'll see what I mean. O-Levels are still taken by the international students, and they're based on the old O-Levels from the UK...

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/...4_s03_qp_1.pdf
    That's a past paper for it, from 2003. That is a much higher standard than GCSE.
    Looks like AS maths to me. tbh I think A-Levels are getting easier, in the sense that it's getting easier to achieve an A grade. I don't see why people say limiting the number of A's to the best 10% of students is such a bad idea. They're university entrance exams, not standalone qualifications, let's face it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    This bit made me laugh on SKY news:

"we should consider congratulating students who have got AAA, as a levels are so much easier now, should they be congratulated?"

^lol
    Congratulate if the student achieves A's in maths, physics and chemistry etc. Dont congratulate if they got AAA in media studies, sociology and child care.

ReputationRep:
    There's no real way of denying the fact that exams in general, not just A-levels are getting easier. My English teacher said this year "I was absolutely stunned on GCSE results day last year by some of the boys in my class who left school with C's in English Language, when they were barely able to write a sentence properly".

It's completely true - passing has become easier, as had getting A* and A grades at AS and A2.

I think theres a massive inequality across the Sciences/Arts subjects in terms of difficulty. It's clearly much harder to achieve an A in A level Maths than it is in A level Food Technology, but then of course we do choose which subjects to do, and by their very nature subjects differ.

I, however, found most of my A2 exams quite hard to be honest and will be surprised if I meet my university offer, despite what I read in The Sunday Times this morning about an increase in A grades and a boost in A-E grade passes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny221)
    Congratulate if the student achieves A's in maths, physics and chemistry etc. Dont congratulate if they got AAA in media studies, sociology and child care.
    sociology is not an easy subject!

I can't personally comment on the other 2 as I have no experience in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    There's no real way of denying the fact that exams in general, not just A-levels are getting easier. My English teacher said this year "I was absolutely stunned on GCSE results day last year by some of the boys in my class who left school with C's in English Language, when they were barely able to write a sentence properly".

It's completely true - passing has become easier, as had getting A* and A grades at AS and A2.
    I think theres a massive inequality across the Sciences/Arts subjects in terms of difficulty. It's clearly much harder to achieve an A in A level Maths than it is in A level Food Technology, but then of course we do choose which subjects to do, and by their very nature subjects differ.

I, however, found most of my A2 exams quite hard to be honest and will be surprised if I meet my university offer, despite what I read in The Sunday Times this morning about an increase in A grades and a boost in A-E grade passes.
    Err?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithless)
    It still isn't very hard overall. And the person who you quoted was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    The modular system can only a good thing. After all, the purpose of exams is mostly to test our understanding of the subject, not our ability to remember.
    But A-levels ARE testing ability to remember bull, that's the problem!

What does it matter what colour of a transition metal complexes are... does this test understanding no, it test your ability to memorise 30 different compound colours

Biology tests your ability to memorise

Anyways, the government NEEDS to make exams easier in order to get more people off the university... because

the average person in this country is a complete and utter moron, sorry i mean a 'chav', i can't have any stereotyping going on here, doesn't get 5 Cs for GCSEs. Therefore will leave school at 16 and if they don't get an apprentiship or get a job they may do nothing at home permanently watching TV, may hang harmlessly around on the streets or may do worse things!

Therefore, the government want to have everyone succeed and not just those that are elite at school because most teenagers only realise how important school was when they can't get a decent job! Therefore, even though it may be at the expense of those that are very intelligent, exams are made easier in order for MORE people to succeed and go on to university.

That's the theory behind these things anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithless)

I can't personally comment on the other 2 as I have no experience in them.
    Just because you do it. Soon enough everyone will say all subjects are hard just because they do them! Even my hypothetical 'childcare' a-level.

ReputationRep:
    Dont congratulate if they got AAA in media studies, sociology and child care.
    Oh yes, because thats not an achievement whatsoever :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It still isn't very hard overall. And the person who you quoted was right.
    Did you take sociology a-level?

ReputationRep:
    Just because you do it. Soon enough everyone will say all subjects are hard just because they do them! Even my hypothetical 'childcare' a-level.
    The last time I checked I don't remember our (and the previous) generation of mothers taking A Level Childcare to learn how to raise their children. What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Err?
    For A* I meant GCSE, don't be a t*at.

ReputationRep:
    I don't 'do it'....I did it along with history,psychology, english lit, biology and chemistry. If people are not very good at essay writing then they would find it incredibly hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Oh yes, because thats not an achievement whatsoever :rolleyes:
    It is an achievement, but not as big as an AAA in English, Maths and Phys for instance.

ReputationRep:
    C4 are still at it...

ReputationRep:
    It is an achievement, but not as big as an AAA in English, Maths and Phys for instance.
    If some1 finds maths and physics a piece of p*ss yet finds media hard but manages to achieve an A in all three what is the biggest achievement??

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by gwright
    Take a look at O-Level maths, then you'll see what I mean. O-Levels are still taken by the international students, and they're based on the old O-Levels from the UK...

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk...24_s03_qp_1.pdf
    That's a past paper for it, from 2003. That is a much higher standard than GCSE.
    I would be ever so happy if this was my GCSE paper - it is far far easier than the non-calculator paper I had to sit this year, and that was a breeze...

Anyhow - the problem needs to be tackled at the base. Since the exam boards were un-privatised, the government have had far too much control with regard to grade boundaries, and differentiation between candidates. Surely, if the exam boards weren't under the thumb of the government, they could determine who has actually done better effectively, rather than 1/4 of the total number of grade's awarded being an A grade (or some ridiculous figure like that). It's all the government's fault. Grrr.

Hmph [Rant over]

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.