The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Visit UBC's site
Reply 2
canuck
Visit UBC's site

I have, on the Commerce degree it says no visiting students accepted. What do they mean by visiting? Do they mean that course does not accept any international students?
Reply 3
hibbert
I have, on the Commerce degree it says no visiting students accepted. What do they mean by visiting? Do they mean that course does not accept any international students?

Maby no one applied, everyone was refused entry, or poor applicants applied. UBC is the most difficult university to enter in British Columbia, and one of the hardest to enter in Canada.
Reply 4
canuck
Maby no one applied, everyone was refused entry, or poor applicants applied. UBC is the most difficult university to enter in British Columbia, and one of the hardest to enter in Canada.

Sorry I didn't make it very clear. It says in the prospective students bit that no visiting students will be accepted, I don't think it is saying that no visiting students were accepted.

Here is the quote form the business school website:

Visiting Students

As admission to our BCOM program is extremely competitive and space is limited, we do not accept applications from Visiting Students.

I was wondering if that meant that they don't accept international students atall for this course?

Thanks,
Reply 5
hibbert
Sorry I didn't make it very clear. It says in the prospective students bit that no visiting students will be accepted, I don't think it is saying that no visiting students were accepted.

Here is the quote form the business school website:

Visiting Students

As admission to our BCOM program is extremely competitive and space is limited, we do not accept applications from Visiting Students.

I was wondering if that meant that they don't accept international students atall for this course?

Thanks,

Your right buddy, sorry man. Did you look into UVIC, Simon Fraser, and UNBC?
Reply 6
canuck
Your right buddy, sorry man. Did you look into UVIC, Simon Fraser, and UNBC?

I've not looked at these yet, I'll have a look on the websites.
Reply 7
I got into UBC commerce. It's not very hard...you just need a good amount/range of extracuriculars and around 90~ average. I think extracurriculars matter more though, I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow visiting students?? You can also do 2nd year direct transfer into Commerce...from either Capp or Simon Fraser I forget. I heard it's a great course.
Reply 8
Simon Fraser University's defenition of "Visiting Students" is:

A"Visiting Student" is a student who is coming to SFU from another post secondary institution, to take courses at SFU, for transfer to their degree requirements at their home institution. A Visiting Student must be admitted to SFU.

Does that mean it is someone who is at a university, say for example in the UK, and they are just at Simon Fraser for a year as part of their UK degree?

If that is the case then "visiting students" does not include international students who want to go to the university in Canada for their whole degree. I'm not sure how UBC define "visiting students"?
Reply 9
Im sure you can apply to UBC as an international student, I was going to, but they wanted maths to do physiology and I didnt have maths. However, as Canuck says it is a hard uni to get into, its very high up in world league tables.
You can get the application forms off the net.
http://students.ubc.ca/welcome/admission.cfm?page=ao that is what you need to get into the uni.
http://students.ubc.ca/welcome/apply.cfm?page=how is a checklist on how you apply (and the application form is online)
But, personally, as an english person I found the whole canadian uni system really confusing. Its all modules and stuff, and it took me absolutely ages to get it. But I did apply to University of Alberta, and got a place (although I didnt take it up). Just persevere, and make sure you do it all EARLY to make sure you have enough time in case stuff goes wrong. And make sure you look at other uni's in Canada too, there are some really good ones. Good luck with everything, if you want to know anything else I can try and help you, PM me.
You can definitely get in as an International Student.

When I was at UBC this summer, I met a girl who is going into her 3rd or 4th year in the Commerce program, and she's an International Student from Indonesia or someplace-somewhere.

So, yeah, you're eligible.

(P.S. Sorry for the very late reply. :p: )
Reply 11
MadeInCanada
You can definitely get in as an International Student.

When I was at UBC this summer, I met a girl who is going into her 3rd or 4th year in the Commerce program, and she's an International Student from Indonesia or someplace-somewhere.

So, yeah, you're eligible.

(P.S. Sorry for the very late reply. :p: )

Thanks,

That clears that up

Latest

Trending

Trending