Turn on thread page Beta

Dig! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hope this is in the right forum, as it's more about bands/music than it being essentially a film.

Last night I saw this documentary on the tempestuous relationship between the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre. I was wondering if anyone here had seen it, what they thought of it, and if anyone could recommend an introductory album by the BJM?

The docu. was all sorts of aces, especially clubs, as there were so many moments when you wanted to club Anton over his beleagured nostrils for being so....reactionary, writing 'not if you're the last dandy on earth' for example, over intense jealousy at the DW's success, or describing himself as God (along those lines anyway!), the constant disagreements with his bandmates..etc.etc.

I wasn't aware that Peter Hayes from the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club used to play guitar in the BJM either. I didn't think the film properly presented the BJM's musical talent - why band's like the BRMC or the Dandy Warhol's revered them so much, or drew such artistic/technical inspiration from them. It seemed to sensationalize rather than record (document) objectively. However, from the snatches of BJM songs on the soundtrack, and the fraught, capricious passions in the band's lives, it was really interesting to see how passions (as in the emotions) of a musician transcend in to their music - in the BJM's this was evident in the layers of particular instruments, and musical notes in their songs, while the lyrics were quite simplistic. It taught me not to judge a documentary about the relationships in a band by it's immediate impact, because these relationships innately represent what their music sounds like...or does it?
    Should music as an art form be without apparent artistic effort to embellish or imagine something that is not usual to the musician's life - as is the case with the realism that is the BJM's music? But is it also true that a portrait of reality is the hardest thing to create? And does this difficulty reside in technicality or something else, the extent of the musician's artistic capabilities? Is that why band's like the BJM are so revered by fellow musicians?

It was a really provocative film, although bordering on 'Spinal Tap' at times!

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed it, and agree with you in that it tended to focus on the success of the Dandy Warhols instead of the reasons why the BJM flopped, so to speak. I found it difficult to understand why the BJM were so popular among other musicians and A&R people etc, but never seemed to take off with the audience, instead playing to the audience's expectations for fights onstage. It was a shame that they split eventually, but I suppose artistic temperament such as Anton Newcombs' will always be difficult to deal with.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.