Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinkin whether I should become a doctor or not. It is not particularly my favourite interest but my sister is one and I get a lot of pressure from my family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante2004)
    I am thinkin whether I should become a doctor or not. It is not particularly my favourite interest but my sister is one and I get a lot of pressure from my family
    no, you should aspire to be a tramp

ReputationRep:
    it is up to you. it is always helpful to have more doctors, in case emergency, but if it wont make u happy, then no

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of somebody who can't even make their own decisions- so No. Definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want to do...never let someone pressure you into making such a huge decision. You're the one who'll have to live with it, not your parents or your sister. By all means find out about it, but life is for the living, not for doing something you absolutely hate.

ReputationRep:
    im in the same position..
    my dads a doctor and my brother is currently at ucl studying medicine. I have applied but ive realised that i need to do what's right for me and not do it this year. So I'm differing and thinking about whether I want to spend the next 7 years of my life training for something I don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    no, because 1) long training period 2) long working hours 3) have to work with ill people

ReputationRep:
    Serious question for you. Do you actually want to become a doctor. If not, please don't waste not only your own time, but that of others. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but if people become doctors without really wanting to be, then they aren't going to always do the job to the standard required.

ReputationRep:
    If its not want what you want to do don't do it. Don't let peer preasure influence an important issue like this.

Seven years is a long time and you will probably get bored and fed up, I've seen it computing people do it as they they will find it easy to get a job and as soon as the maths starts they drop off of the course.

ReputationRep:
    if you are not sure then don't. you obviously have doubts about it sense you posted this thread my advice is to not rush in to something you are not certain about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If its not want what you want to do don't do it. Don't let peer preasure influence an important issue like this.

Seven years is a long time and you will probably get bored and fed up, I've seen it computing people do it as they they will find it easy to get a job and as soon as the maths starts they drop off of the course.
    yup yup. couldn't agree more on that one. It is going to be ones career remember. may as well try to pick one you enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    yep, if you're not sure, then its probably the wrong desicion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    yep, if you're not sure, then its probably the wrong desicion.
    Too true. Though, just what did the thread starter wish to be?

ReputationRep:
    Well, you are more likely to become a successful doctor if medicine has been your main interest all your life or if your family is full of medics. If you aren't sure, then make sure you are open to other careers when deciding on your courses because you might want to back out later on.

I really wanted to do Medicine at the beginning of my AS and did Biology, Chemistry, Italian, Maths and Psychology. Once I started my A2s, I wasn't really sure but with the subjects I was doing, I still had plenty of other options. I have now applied to do Maths with Italian at university instead of Medicine.

Anyways, it's up to you. Follow your heart and do what you think you will be most happy at. To be honest, I just like learning languages becauase it's so fun but since I'm also quite good at Maths, I have decided to do a combined course in both so that I can still get a good job when I finish university.

ReputationRep:
    we dont know you so we cant really give you an honest answer but if you have an interest go ahead.You rule your life not your family

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.