Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its a 97% A-E pass this year and 24% A grade they just said on the news thats what they've estimated it to be anyway. THats still bloody high as in the 80s it was only a 60% pass rate.

ReputationRep:
    Im confused. Thats what exams are there for!
    If you learnt everything to the correct level, you would do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Its a 97% A-E pass this year and 24% A grade they just said on the news thats what they've estimated it to be anyway. THats still bloody high as in the 80s it was only a 60% pass rate.
    What the news don't tell you is what the pass rate for 3 A's it. My sister got AAAB and went to one of the best schools in the country, two of the highest achievers get their name of a plaque and my sister was one of them. Very very few people get A's I am guessing it would be about 5%.

Also as what happened at my college becuase of the AS system a lot of people are not entered for AS and A2 exams becuase tutors don't think they will pass. This again explains the huge increase of passes.

To measure this properly we need to measure how many people enrol on AS courses and how many people finsih them at A2, then compare this to the pre 2000 system.

ReputationRep:
    To measure this properly we need to measure how many people enrol on AS courses and how many people finsih them at A2, then compare this to the pre 2000 system.
    that is v.v.true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Im confused. Thats what exams are there for!
    If you learnt everything to the correct level, you would do well.
    the point is too many people are doing tooo well.

if you think about it, the 'ideal' for exam results its a normal or bell curve. that is, high in the middle, then tapering off at the sides. this would mean that most people would be getting grades in the C/D range, numbers getting B/D about teh same (less than C/D) and the numbers getting As or failing even less.

thats clearly not happening if weve got 3% failing and 24% getting A! thats VERY skewed. i would say, how about the top (and bottom) 5-10% getting A/F, the next 10-15% getting B/E and the remaining 50ish% getting C/D. that would be better i think.

ReputationRep:
    But that 96% pass rate could just be one E which is pointless. 96% of people pass any A2 at any grade. 96% of people are not passing three A levels. I am sure the amount of people getting 3 C's would be much less than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Thats a good point. I would like to see that statistic.
    But that will never happen because it wont make us look stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Better standards of teaching as research has shown what works. Also, revision guides.

ReputationRep:
    One other issue is that Examiners have become generous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mittal)
    One other issue is that Examiners have become generous.
    Thre is a standardised marking scheme that they must follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Thats a good point. I would like to see that statistic.
    But that will never happen because it wont make us look stupid.
    That Mike (can't remember the surname) from the BBC education website wrote a very good article and he used these kind of statistics. He was defending the system and critising the way the media reports it as they are only using black and white statistics. Apparantly one of the first thing you're taught in A level statistics is that statistics alone are useless. In otherwords knowing what the pass rate is for a single exam is not really any help to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Thre is a standardised marking scheme that they must follow.
    This marking scheme is no use in Biology, almost definitely people won't have the same answer to a question as the mark scheme, yet maybe correct.

ReputationRep:
    The expectation of students is not as much as it used to be before.

There used to be many jobs avaliable before, and the exams were very strict at giving high grades, now due to the job availability, the system has gone haywire and people almost don't care much.

I would say in today's times, there is not much difference in grades between A-C in a specific subject and you won't have much chance of getting a job with an A grade of that if you had a C grade.

However grades do make a difference in University applications, but I would think this will soon change.

The A-level system has indeed out dated.

ReputationRep:
    I shoudl point out that my dad had an offer of CC to read geograpgy at Cambridge in the 1960's, he was head boy of a posh grammar school so I don't know if that helped. Anyway he didn't get the grades, he got DE and fail as he didn't bother working instead he went to the pub too much.

He had to go Manchester polytechnic in the end. So universities want much higher grades now than they used to.

ReputationRep:
    Following on from Mittal's post.. I was extremely angry, steam was literally coming out of my ears (ok maybe not literally), when I opened my history paper and discovered that the exam covered a whole 2 days in Russian history. For that exam I had studied 12 years

Grrrrrr!!! Ok rant over and calmness resumes..

ReputationRep:
    You have to think though, to even be accepted to do A Levels you need to have a decent set of GCSE's meaning that people have to be of a certain intelligence to go on to do A Levels.

As for me, I didn't realise how important GCSE's/A Levels were, maybe as I'm the oldest child at home, I had nobody to ask. I did OK, not great, my A Levels were all C's which is pretty poor, but to be fair if I had of known just how important they were I would have tried much harder, I mean for 2 of them I didn't spend a whole lot of time revising :eek: and I could still manage to get a C. Something funny there. As for now, I'm doing my degree, I am trying my best and doing ok, so I think now I realise just how important education is!

ReputationRep:
    depends on the subject greatly.. i do both business studies and economics.. at reading uni, the one i am hopefully going to, count them as the same ability, but business stuides is a piece of pi55 compared to economics, all 6 units on business are the same as 1 in economics i'd say! Also subjects like media studies seem easy because you are allowed so many notes into the exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I think that its easier to pass because teachers are getting better and better at teaching the subject's exam, not just the subject itself. In English Language AS, we did lots of test papers, had mark schemes coming out of our ears and were thoroughly advised. It would be quite a mission to get less than an E on that exam.
    Which is ridiculous as the point of school obviously isn't passing a test :mad:
    This is the only thing I have against final papers rather than ongoing tests/projects as we have in Sweden.
    One of my friends (at IB) recently bought a book that had less info than the original book and only contained stuff that could come on the tests. She was complaining because their teacher taught them useless stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Not easy.

ReputationRep:
    They're not that difficult. I think they could be done in a few months rather than a year. Long holiday :cool:

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.