Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think the higher pass rates are a combination of some much easier options, the whole education system being a lot more flexible so people can work to their strengths and people getting cleverer. I think they must be easier to pass just because you now only need 40% (which seems ridiculous after a year's work).

However, I am by no means stupid, worked quite hard and really have no idea what I've got, but don't reckon I've got my grades. A levels are trickier than AS by quite a long way i felt: I got AAA in my 3 A level subjects at AS (French, Maths and Eng. Lit), whereas this year I'm convinced I haven't got AAB, and I did so much more work this year.

Anyway, am going to leave this thread now cos I get so angry when every year all our hard work is just belittled by the media. We're feeling anxious enough about not getting high grades anyway, without people telling us that 'everyone' is getting A's so if we're not we are clearly thick.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    they are most definatly difficult...i mean i got 9 gcse's but i still REALLY struggled with my a levels...

the annoying thing is the government are saying things like Media Studies and Photography are easy....but they really arnt....ive stuggled so badly with them and i can only hope that i get C's in them. Its complete crap...

ReputationRep:
    As I said in the other thread, the pass rate has increased and more people are getting As because qualifications are more impoortant, therefore students are working harder for them, and teaching has improved. It's nothing to do with exams getting easier and it makes no difference what subjects you do. My mum was going on about this earlier and she really annoyed me :mad: It's 3 days before results day, so the last thing I want to hear is how much easier A-levels are now. She seems to think she knows that for a fact despite never doing A-levels and she also feels the need to criticise 'soft' subjects that she's never taken and has no idea what they're about.

ReputationRep:
    Ypu know what? I think a-levels are a piece of cake! I'm happily reclining on my sofa not giving a moments worry to the impending results day, knowing that I've got A's in all of my subjects even though I've done no work all year, not bothered to revise for my exams, and fully expecting to get the grades I want because, to be honest, a-levels are too easy nowadays and only plebs would get anything less than an A.

In my dreams - like that would ever happen :rolleyes: I wored damn hard for my subjects but I don't have any chance of getting an A in any of them except maybe health and social care, the others will probbably be C's and D's.

The media are always looking for things to criticise but belitteling all the work that goes into a-levels every year is just downright unfair! Maybe young people today are desperate to fulfil their potential and therefore work harder and get the grades they deserve, be it an A or a C, so long as they've done their best that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Anyone who says that is just ignorant.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    No they're not bloody easy! Anyone who says that is just ignorant.
    maybe they meant comparitively easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    Why?
    Look - I've changed my post *points above* but maybe I'm just sick of hearing how a-levels are easy and the general impression that people have that if you don't get an A then you're either lazy or stupid or both. I'm not stupid and definately not lazy but I won;t get A's even though I worked damn hard for my subjects. Imagine how that feels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Look - I've changed my post *points above* but maybe I'm just sick of hearing how a-levels are easy
    I don't think that's the point most people are making, 'too easy' compares to the difficulty they 'once were'. Easy is subjective, nobody has suggested some random could walk in off the street and pass an A-Level paper if they've never covered the topics before.

and the general impression that people have that if you don't get an A then you're either lazy or stupid or both.
    What general impression? I've never heard anyone in the media or otherwise suggest students were stupid if they didn't achieve A-grades.

I'm not stupid and definately not lazy but I won;t get A's even though I worked damn hard for my subjects. Imagine how that feels?
    That's not the issue. A-Levels no longer serve their purpose of distinguishing between students, we need a new qualification system which can cater for this. I took my A-Levels two years ago so I don't need to imagine how it feels when others criticise achievements - I was, however, under the impression that we can't solve the problem without addressing the issues. This isn't a good time to be doing this, so I agree in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    The only suggestion I can think of is splitting the papers into foundation and higher like they do at GCSE, and include some more taxing questions to really push for an A. However this has to be a compromise, universities have to realise that this will decrease results and as such they must lower their standard offers for many courses accordingly, otherwise clearing will end up including pretty much every course on offer. By using this system most courses will require the same level of achievement as they do now, but at the same time a course can be aimed at those who are academically more gifted.

Simply saying that 90%+ would become an A* would not work as when you start talking about those figures exam technique is being examined not academica ability in a subject. This would give students who go to schools who do not teach such skills an unfair disadvantage.

For the record I am sick of people moaning about results, but by the same token there should be a constructve debate in parliment to the future of the qualification, taking it in a direction that does not make them harder, but allows them to differentiate between students more accuratly. Anyway rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I don't think that's the point most people are making, 'too easy' compares to the difficulty they 'once were'. Easy is subjective, nobody has suggested some random could walk in off the street and pass an A-Level paper if they've never covered the topics before.

What general impression? I've never heard anyone in the media or otherwise suggest students were stupid if they didn't achieve A-grades.

That's not the issue. A-Levels no longer serve their purpose of distinguishing between students, we need a new qualification system which can cater for this. I took my A-Levels two years ago so I don't need to imagine how it feels when others criticise achievements - I was, however, under the impression that we can't solve the problem without addressing the issues. This isn't a good time to be doing this, so I agree in that respect.
    Wow what a long post!

It's just that A grades seem the norm nowadays, and thats a bit sad for all the people who don't get them, but work just as hard if not harder to achieve their grades.

Anyway I'm rambling and have lost the point somewhere....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binternet)
    The only suggestion I can think of is splitting the papers into foundation and higher like they do at GCSE, and include some more taxing questions to really push for an A. However this has to be a compromise, universities have to realise that this will decrease results and as such they must lower their standard offers for many courses accordingly, otherwise clearing will end up including pretty much every course on offer. By using this system most courses will require the same level of achievement as they do now, but at the same time a course can be aimed at those who are academically more gifted.

Simply saying that 90%+ would become an A* would not work as when you start talking about those figures exam technique is being examined not academica ability in a subject. This would give students who go to schools who do not teach such skills an unfair disadvantage.

For the record I am sick of people moaning about results, but by the same token there should be a constructve debate in parliment to the future of the qualification, taking it in a direction that does not make them harder, but allows them to differentiate between students more accuratly. Anyway rant over.
    There has been talk of a baccelaureate (sp?) scheme and I think that would work a lot better as - correct me if I'm wrong - there's a much woder range of grades availlable and this would allow for greater distinction between grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    It's just that A grades seem the norm nowadays,
    That's a failure in the system, what's the point in having A-grades as the top distinguisher if lots of people achieve them. What can employers/universities use without resorting to additional qualifications to assess academic merit?

and thats a bit sad for all the people who don't get them,
    Indeed, but life's tough and not everyone can always get what they want.

Anyway I'm rambling and have lost the point somewhere....
    I'll agree that this isn't the time or place to be discussing perceived difficulty of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    They appear easier now because you can retake individual modules as many times as you wish and more people are taking doss/easy subjects such as Media, Film, etc *Waits for all the people doing those subjects to disagree*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Laxy!)
    They appear easier now because you can retake individual modules as many times as you wish and more people are taking doss/easy subjects such as Media, Film, etc *Waits for all the people doing those subjects to disagree*.
    I'm not doing either of those subjects, but I disagree anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm not doing either of those subjects, but I disagree anyway :p:
    on what basis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !Laxy!)
    on what basis?
    On the basis that I don't think there are any 'easy' subjects because different subjects test different skills and people are good at different things, so whether or not a subject is 'easy' depends on the person. If you're creative, good at practical work and good at writing essays, you might find media studies easy, but if you're more of a scientific person, you might find it much harder than, for example, maths. I took GCSE media studies and only managed a B despite getting As in traditional subjects because I'm more academic than practical/creative. I also take A-level sociology, so I disagree on the basis that it's very annoying to take a subject because you enjoy it and work hard it so you get a good grade only to be told by ignorant people who've never studied it and probably have no idea what it involves that it's 'easy.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Britzan)
    I DISAGREE. So many ppl @ uni say that A levels are the hardest thing that you will ever do.
    mmm they havent done another educational systems... you cover everything in the subjects... but in the easy way... for example in physics... most of it is writing... which i personally like.. but in other educational systems (German or Spanish) you have to do Alevel Further Maths to solve Physics problems!

ReputationRep:
    I DISAGREE. So many ppl @ uni say that A levels are the hardest thing that you will ever do.
    Perhaps that's true for certain courses but it certainly isn't true for the more traditional ones. Many people have told me that maths at university is way harder than it is at A-Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I've never heard anyone in the media or otherwise suggest students were stupid if they didn't achieve A-grades.
    The Sun newspaper is getting pretty close to that point. Here's their cartoon from today's newspaper:

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2005370952,00.jpg

Their article is entitled "Fury at Easy A-Levels", and the whole thing is here. Its quite ironic that most of The Sun's readers have probably never taken A-Levels. I'm starting to wonder whether any of their journalists have :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    The Sun newspaper is getting pretty close to that point. Here's their cartoon from today's newspaper:

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2005370952,00.jpg

Their article is entitled "Fury at Easy A-Levels", and the whole thing is here. Its quite ironic that most of The Sun's readers have probably never taken A-Levels. I'm starting to wonder whether any of their journalists have :rolleyes:
    This comes from a paper which has a reading age of 7...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.