The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Accommodation for nursing students at Cardiff uni

Hey i've just got an offer from Cardiff uni for adult nursing starting Sept 2010! I'm going to make this my firm choice :smile:

I'm not sure what to do for accommodation though! Does anyone know where most medical/nursing students stay?? i know allensbank is closest to the hospital but Tallybont north looks good! Help!!

Scroll to see replies

hey i'm in exactly the same boat!! i have an offer from cardiff for september 2010 too and i plan 2 go there :smile: not sure about the accomodation!!
help us please :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hannah17thomas
hey i'm in exactly the same boat!! i have an offer from cardiff for september 2010 too and i plan 2 go there :smile: not sure about the accomodation!!
help us please :smile:

I'm so glad i'm not the only one! lol are you doing adult nursing aswell?
I think for accommodation i might put talybont north and allensbank as my top choices :smile: What about you?
Reply 3
KimBri
Hey, I have an offer from Cardiff September in nursing and one in Worcester too. I'm really unsure on where to go and what to do for accomodation.
What are you too doing? are you both moving away from home? :smile:

Hey, yeah im moving away from home and i've decided to put allensbank house as my top choice as its right next to the hospital :smile:
I'm doing adult nursing, what about you?
Reply 4
KimBri
Hey :smile:, I havnt put it as my first choice yet. am really confused atm. I want to move away from home but dont know if ill have anough to live on. So i dont know whether to just go to a local uni round by where i live.
Im doing adult nursing as well.
Where abouts are you from?
And the allensbank house how much is the rent weekly there?

I'm from gloucester which is not far from worcester!
If you do an adult nursing degree in wales, you receive a bursary which i think should definately help with living expenses. The bursary is only available in england if you do diploma, not degree. Perhaps you should ring the nursing school to check this :smile:
Here's the link to allensbank house: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/residences/postgraduate/residences/allensbank/allensbank-house.html

It is the dearer one but it is right next to the hospital!
Reply 5
KimBri
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but once your down there will you take a car down with you?
Thank you. I really want to go to cardiff. i suppose i'll have to talk to my parents more abaout it.
Where abouts in Gloucester do you live? I live in Ledbury, about 20 miles away.

I think it depends where you stay. Some halls allow you to have a parking permit, some don't. At the open day they said that you don't really need a car. Unfortunately I havent passed my driving test yet, but im hopin i will have by the time i go to uni! lol
Do you think cardiff will be your firm choice then?
Reply 6
heyy guys i'm a 1st year nursing student at cardiff living in allensbank just thought i would answer a couple questions as i remember how confused i was!!
so yeah i'm living in allensbank its literally 2 minutes walk from lectures, there is a mixture of cardiff and uwic students here although most of the cardiff students, if not all, are medical in some way...nurses, doctors, physios, OT's etc which is nice!!
i noticed someone asked the weekly rent...i don't think we can pay weekly but i pay monthly and its £425 so i'm sure u can work that out for ourselves. the price is a little steep but it is ensuit and they're a pretty good size compared with talybont.
there is no parking for students here...however i have friends who have cars here and they tend to just park down one of the side streets or on the bridge just next to allensbank and i havnt heard of any problems, like damadge to cars or anyting, as of yet...a car is not essential but i would recommend it for placement, i don't have a car right now and i'm placed in the Gwent :s-smilie: and having to rely on friends also working there for lifts....either that or i leave at 5.15 am to get the train!
anyway if u have any other questions feel free to message me and i will do my best to answer :biggrin::biggrin:
loads of luck
amy xx
Reply 7
Noticed a couple of you mentioned Allensbank, although I’m not doing nursing (and not at Cardiff Uni for that matter), I’m currently at Allensbank, location wise it is perfect! You are right by the hospital and you will be sure to have a bus on Allensbank Road or Whitchurch Road to take you to anywhere you wish to go as they are really frequent.

Parking here is a pain, i think its £15 a week to park on the Allensbank grounds but you can park for free along Allensbank Road and other roads in this area (although some you need a permit) however, it isn't that much a problem if you do have you car as you will find a space, but you may just need to walk a little once parked.

There are many nursing students living in this accommodation though, so you may be lucky enough to live with someone doing the same course as you. :smile:
Reply 8
Hiya

I'm applying to do radiography at cardiff uni at sept 2010 and I am having trouble deciding which accommodation I should choose as my first choice, talybont north or allensbank house?

Initally allensbank appealed to me because it was very close to my lectures, but i realised the price is rather costly and bit far out from the city. On the other hand, talybont north is cheaper in comparison but further away from the Heath hospital.

In terms of social aspects, would it be wise to choose allensbank house because the people who live there consist of students who are studying healthcare subjects (nursing, radiotherapy etc) and thus share similar term time and interest (assumingly) with each other.

Or would my uni experience be more interesting if i chose talybont north, as there are number of students studying a wide range of subjects compared to the students who live in allensbank. But I was informed that my course is busier than most other courses, so would I find time to actually get to know my flatmates?
are there any healthcare students who will recommend talybont north as an ideal place to stay in?
There's a house in Taly North that's set aside for people on healthcare courses so if you get allocated a place there you'll be with all the nurses, physios, ots, radiographers etc. It's not that far away from the hospital either, it's possible to walk there in 20 minutes. I loved living there :biggrin:
Reply 10
I've applied for my accommodation and picked;
1. Allensbank
2. Talybont North ensuite
3. University ensuite

I'm doing mental health nursing September 2010 entry :smile:
Reply 11
dobbys sock
There's a house in Taly North that's set aside for people on healthcare courses so if you get allocated a place there you'll be with all the nurses, physios, ots, radiographers etc. It's not that far away from the hospital either, it's possible to walk there in 20 minutes. I loved living there :biggrin:

ok, talybont north sounds alrite. i suppose i can do with excercise as well. thaannnksss for the help!
Reply 12
Hi

I am also applying to cardiff for sept2010 to do radiography probably as 1st choice but am really stuck on accomodation! I thought about Allensbank but wasnt sure about time to get into town... and also how easy it would be to get back at night?
So was also looking at talybont north but again couldnt see whether you can get a bus to Heath Park as im sure walking everyday could get a bit of a pain especially when its raining - however is the walk along busy roads as it appears or quite and safe!? I havnt seen inside any of the accomodation so dont know what its like or the areas (i.e. safe walking...) so if anyone can help me out it would be great! :smile:
Reply 13
hiya, i am also in the same situation as you are but I decided to opt for talybont north at the end, mainly it was cheaper, closer to the city and also you can meet other people doing subjects other than healthcare subjects, so there is a greater diversity of people than allensbank. Mind you though if u do choose talybont, you get grouped with people doin healthcare courses aswell so you wont feel completly left out.

I dont think there is a bus near talybont that will take you to the heath campus which sucks.

As far as im aware, travelling to and from isn't such a problem, cardiff is regarded as a fairly safe city, far safer than others. I have heard that it does take about 15 to 20 mins as the hospital is around a mile away, which isn't too bad once you get used to it, but, it prob will be a pain if it rains.

you can get a glimpse of what the accomodation looks like if you go onto this website here: http://www.cf.ac.uk/for/prospective/residences/undergraduate/index.html

they should offer you a 360 degree image of what the rooms and kitchens are like.

well to be honest, its up to you. well good luck with studies, and maybe i see you up in cardiff.
Reply 14
Hi

yeh i just need to make a decision really!

Thanks for your help - mayb see you up ther :smile:
Reply 15
P-T
Hi

I am also applying to cardiff for sept2010 to do radiography probably as 1st choice but am really stuck on accomodation! I thought about Allensbank but wasnt sure about time to get into town... and also how easy it would be to get back at night?
So was also looking at talybont north but again couldnt see whether you can get a bus to Heath Park as im sure walking everyday could get a bit of a pain especially when its raining - however is the walk along busy roads as it appears or quite and safe!? I havnt seen inside any of the accomodation so dont know what its like or the areas (i.e. safe walking...) so if anyone can help me out it would be great! :smile:

I'm currently at Allensbank, taxi's are usually £6-£8 a lot depends on the traffic though and how many red lights you hit, and then you can get a bus into town which takes 10-15 minutes, good location really, especially as buses go to and from town often along Allensbank Road. Buses are £3 for an all day pass too, i'm not sure if Cardiff Uni has a special bus pass like UWIC people do to use the buses for free. Overall it is a good location, probably the only problem with it is there is no supermarket near to it but you can get a bus to Tesco or a taxi and again that is like £6 so its not all too bad, a co-op is up the road if you do need someone like milk. Or you may be lucky and live with someone who has a car.
Reply 16
Hi

Thanks! Do you know anything about University Halls? They look ok on website and there is a bus, but is it difficult getting back at night? Also it is quite a long way out of the city, so does it isolate you from everything thats going on on the main campus?

Hi! I've received an offer to study child nursing at Cardiff in September, i'm also looking at accommodation. I can't seem to find allensbank on the link Cardiff emailed me http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/accommodation/residences.html any ideas? x
Original post by DeanaMorris94
Hi! I've received an offer to study child nursing at Cardiff in September, i'm also looking at accommodation. I can't seem to find allensbank on the link Cardiff emailed me http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/accommodation/residences.html any ideas? x

I have also got an offer for nursing for September 2014 but for adult nursing. I think that allensbank is actually called Liberty House now x
Reply 19
I have an offer for adult nursing at Cardiff uni too and am unsure about accommodation. Liberty house or Talybont North though I can't decide! 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending