Turn on thread page Beta

What Would Make You Vote CONservative? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’d like to find out what would make you decide to vote CONSERVATIVE?

If you vote for a different party, what change in Conservative policy would make you vote for them? Or if you’ve just turned 18, what would make you chose Tory ahead of the others?

Do you think there’s an area of policy there not concentrating enough on? Do you think they concentrate too much (if that’s possible) on any issue in particular?

(reworded)

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson

ReputationRep:
    If Michael Howard came crawling to my feet snivelling and apologising for all he was worth for Section 28...

that wouldn't even BEGIN to cover it :p:

ReputationRep:
    As with Labour : Honest politicians proposing sensible, intelligent policies. Or failing that having a party as dishonest and incompetant in charge as the current Labour regime.

ReputationRep:
    Policies of social justice, equality of opportunity and redistribution of wealth….and a working/middle class ethos

i.e., I never will!

I’d be betraying the people of my community if I ever voted Tory. The way they treated the miners during the miner’s strike of 1984-85 was scandalous., and it’s one reason why the Tories are highly unlikely to hold a South Wales seat in Parliament! (not counting Monmouth, AKA, Little England, and the people of Preseli Pembrokeshire - who will soon live to regret electing a a Tory MP!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    redistribution of wealth
    Does Labour have that policy?

ReputationRep:
    Policies of social justice, equality of opportunity and redistribution of wealth….and a working/middle class ethos

i.e., I never will!

I’d be betraying the people of my community if I ever voted Tory. The way they treated the miners during the miner’s strike of 1984-85 was scandalous., and it’s one reason why the Tories are highly unlikely to hold a South Wales seat in Parliament! (not counting Monmouth, AKA, Little England, and the people of Preseli Pembrokeshire - who will soon live to regret electing a a Tory MP!)
    Perhaps, amazingly enough, they feel that Labour hasn't done much good for them and that the Conservative would do better? And its a Labour government thats in power, so I fail to see why they would regret having a Conservative MP. Unless he is a bad MP, whic is by no means confined to one party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Does Labour have that policy?
    Yes – top-up fees (if you look at it closely), tax credits…..

ReputationRep:

i.e., I never will!

Do you want to remind me what percentage of Welshmen are miners right now?

ReputationRep:
    The only way the Tories could trick me into voting for them would be to drug me and then put the cross in the box on the ballot paper for me!

Alternatively, if the only two parties left for some bizarre reason were the Tories and the BNP I would *possibly* vote for them.. I'd start my own party first hehe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Do you want to remind me what percentage of Welshmen are miners right now?
    Precisely!

And why has Wales only got one deep mine left in existence (and that’s only because the workers bought it and run it themselves) ? Because the Tories closed or privatised them all!!

ReputationRep:
    If Rupert Murdoch decided to back them

ReputationRep:
    Yes – top-up fees (if you look at it closely), tax credits…..
    Could you explain, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    If Michael Howard came crawling to my feet snivelling and apologising for all he was worth for Section 28...

that wouldn't even BEGIN to cover it :p:
    I agree.. Section 28 was one of the most ridiculous pieces of legislation to pass through Parliament. How anyone can vote for a party whose leader helped to create that blatantly homophobic law (if you can even call it that) baffles me.

ReputationRep:
    I voted conservative because the guy standing for MP hear actually came to our house and it seemed a great bloke!

This was also because my previous MP was labour and i'd never met, heard or seen him do anything at all - quite shocking considering he was MP for 8 years! That's for about 40% of my life!!!

I was quite shocked that i voted conservative because this was me being very anti-conservative when i was younger, however, i voted conservative also because i didnt want labour to have such a majority.

though i got what i wanted, i conservative MP that i though was a great guy and a reduced labour majority. I'm not very political and personally think that politics is just a game to charm the public everything is getting better no matter what but i hope my reasons were good ones.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely!

And why has Wales only got one deep mine left in existence (and that’s only because the workers bought it and run it themselves) ? Because the Tories closed or privatised them all!!
    Or perhaps because Britain is no longer an industrial economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellow-yellow)
    I agree.. Section 28 was one of the most ridiculous pieces of legislation to pass through Parliament. How anyone can vote for a party whose leader helped to create that blatantly homophobic law (if you can even call it that) baffles me.
    Blatantly homophobic, or a regulation against dodgy propaganda? I imagine homosexuals need as much protection from out-of-touch government ministers and their embarassing "It's O.K. to be Gay!" flyers, complete with cowboy/builder's hat stereotypes, as they can get.

ReputationRep:
    If they took the opportunity to become an intelligent liberal party, I'm thinking Thatcher here but less socially cranky.

ReputationRep:
    A mental disease...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    A mental disease...
    So why don't you vote for them?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.