The Student Room Group

Funniest/most disgusting thing you've seen working in healthcare?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Wow, some disguting situations going on here! Lol

I guess people get used to it, eventually? :smile:
Reply 101
I'm currently an EMI care assistant, and the thing I've found least bearable is the patient who keeps trying to pull out his catheter (which goes through his skin to his bladder), this in turn makes it bleed a lot and lose lots of pus ¬_¬
I'm getting used to phlegm now, especially when one client last year insisted on showing me their kidney dish brimming with phlegm which was the most rancid colour yellow you will ever see.

I have also had clients regurgitate the yoghurt/thickened drink/biscuit I was feeding them all over my hand and arm. Not as bad as vomit, but still not pleasant.
Ive been nursing for 3 years now.. and seen way too many things to list!

Where to start...?

- a fake finger nail up a mans back passage, he came to A&E because he had pains, couldnt pass any stools and couldnt figure out why. Apparantly his girlfriend had failed to mention that after pleasuring him, she had lost a nail. That was a great conversation to witness.. the Doc was trying his best to keep the smile from his face!

- A gentleman came in to A&E with a lot of coke cans... when asked why/what was in them he informed us that he had a chest infection and kept coughing up a lot of phlegm and thought we might like to see it! The only things he could find to "store" this phlegm was old coke cans. Very very close to gagging.

- putting a cap on a trache, the gentleman did a huge cough (which was fantastic!) but the cap went flying and hit me in the face.

- a lady in labour couldnt make it to the maternity ward, was giving birth in reception and her partner passed out. Doesnt sound very funny but the second he hit the floor, she started screaming abuse at him including "you got me in to this situation and you dont even have the decency to stay awake!" (with many more rude words in there) ... she didnt believe us that he had passed out!!

- I was spat at in A&E by a very unpleasant man who then started screaming that i had been sexually assulting him behind the curtain (i can promise you i wasnt!)

... It all happens in A&E!
oh gosh :zomg:
Probably the time some guy was intent on masturbating at everyone or anything that passed despite numerous warnings from the staff :lol: according to the OH who works there this carried on for over a week after the day I visited :tongue:
Reply 106
This is for me:redface:

15 and I was playing football at school, and I suddenly just collapse couldn't move my foot, so had to go A&E and the doctor wanted me to press my foot against his hand as hard as I could... but my foot was literally sweating because I had football socks on, can't imagine how it must of been for him:colondollar:
Ive seen my fair share...hazards of the job i suppose!!
Ive seen one client once who had placed their hands inside their pad and had feaces all over their hands, face, in their ears mouth nose eyes etc..it was everywhere.
The other member of staff ran out and threw up...

Quick Reply

Latest