Best getting into medical school book - UK medical school application advice Watch

nurse207
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am applying for med school obviously and am wondering what the best book for getting into medical school is. Should I buy a seperate book just for the interview or do getting into med school books cover them in enough detail? I am applying for peninsuala so if anybody has any information that could be of value to me, eg what the interview is like, i'm all ears. Also, i'll be doing the GAMSAT. I bought griffiths review and it said A-level standard science is sufficient but on the GAMSAT website it says 1st year degree level. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks all
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Almost all books are a waste of time. Do your own research and spend time doing so and you'll find it much more rewarding than buying some uninformed, out of date book.
martin101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ what this guy said.
gildartz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
regardless of what rollerball said, the ISC medical interview book is really useful and can be quite enlightening.
There's also the Getting into Medical School book, but i don't know how good it is since I haven't bought it.

the 'Very Short Introduction' series is really good as well for interviews and for general interest, I particularly liked very short introduction to ethics and to schizophrenia
username301959
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is a useful resource that is free and easy to use, and you don't even have to lift a finger.

It's called the internet, and it's home to all the advice and guidance you could possibly wish for. You could also email the different med schools, asking them about their selection criteria.
Scherzando225
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nurse207)
I am applying for med school obviously and am wondering what the best book for getting into medical school is. Should I buy a seperate book just for the interview or do getting into med school books cover them in enough detail? I am applying for peninsuala so if anybody has any information that could be of value to me, eg what the interview is like, i'm all ears. Also, i'll be doing the GAMSAT. I bought griffiths review and it said A-level standard science is sufficient but on the GAMSAT website it says 1st year degree level. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks all
There are two books you should get when applying to med school.

firsty for the UKCAT http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical...9127115&sr=8-1

(and another one for the BMAT is applicable)

and secondly for interivews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho...9127133&sr=8-1

all others are not as essential as these, as you can generally find everything else you need on the internet
streamline
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scherzando225)

and secondly for interivews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho...9127133&sr=8-1

all others are not as essential as these, as you can generally find everything else you need on the internet
OP, exactly this!

However, you should be doing research on different medical schools else you are going to have very little chance of getting through the initial stages of the admissions process. A lot of my friends found this out the hard way
jelementality
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scherzando225)

do not get that uckat book i heard it was very bad i think
sophyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get the UKCAT book which is linked - slightly daunting when approaching your UKCAT, but it will definitely help!
I wouldn't waste your money on an interview book - the most popular being the one linked - yes it'll give you things to think about - but basically reading around and looking at some of the links on here will give you that and more!
nurse207
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by streamline)
OP, exactly this!

However, you should be doing research on different medical schools else you are going to have very little chance of getting through the initial stages of the admissions process. A lot of my friends found this out the hard way
I can only apply to one place atm so don't really have a choice. Thanks everyone for the advice
Single Malt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
150 medical questions book was very good. Whatever most people say, I suspect most successful applicants have a copy. Certainly thats what I saw at Sheffield and heard as I spoke to other candidates.

Do Grad courses accept Nursing diplomas?
Scherzando225
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nurse207)
I can only apply to one place atm so don't really have a choice. Thanks everyone for the advice
so why can you apply to only one place?
username356927
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophyy)
Get the UKCAT book which is linked - slightly daunting when approaching your UKCAT, but it will definitely help!
I wouldn't waste your money on an interview book - the most popular being the one linked - yes it'll give you things to think about - but basically reading around and looking at some of the links on here will give you that and more!
I agree, I bought several intervew books and not one of the questions in them did I actually get asked.
Presidential
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-into...9175084&sr=8-6

This is a very good book.
sophyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
I agree, I bought several intervew books and not one of the questions in them did I actually get asked.
All of mine were centred on my PS....
Presidential
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
are u serious ? the 150 questions book is excellent.
LetoKynes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
IMO aside from maybe a UKCAT practice book, you shouldn't need anything else.

Reading through the archives of the forum was entertaining, and definitely helpful, though :p:
dfjr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RollerBall)
Almost all books are a waste of time. Do your own research and spend time doing so and you'll find it much more rewarding than buying some uninformed, out of date book.
Rubbish.

There are plenty of books which give advice on how to get into medical school are are very up to date. How exactly do you do the research yourself on how to get into medical school. Just rely on posting threads on TSR or roaming the internet for information? Some of these books are very well thought out, detailed and make a lot of sense. Medical schools themselves rarely really define exactly what they're looking for in a medical applicant, so you can't really just find the information from their websites.

Presidential has already given the link, but "getting into Medical School" is a great book. Has some useful information how to structure your personal statement, interview tips, the sort of questions you might get asked at interview, the basic knowledge you're expected to know (e.g. brief, quick explanation of the important/current diseases e.g. bird flu) and has a great table giving the rough number of applicants at each med school, the number of interviews and the number of offers. If you go through this book like this, you'll be up to scratch on all the things you need to know about applying to medical school in a fraction of the time then just asking others on TSR or browsing the web (or asking doctors who often have no idea of how the application system works these days). The information they give in these books isn't likely to be as unreliable as just asking any random person on TSR for information for example.

Getting UKCAT books and books on admissions exams certainly aren't a waste of money. The UKCAT book really helped me in doing well in the UKCAT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-into-Me...Medical+School
Woody.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
MPW's book is pretty good, as is the 'Succeeding in Your Medical School Interview' by apply2medicine and if you're looking for UKCAT questions, the 600Q book is good (Apart from quantitative reasoning). Also a good, free website to see questions: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/...nterviews.aspx

BUT the most important thing to do is take all of these resources with a pinch of salt. They're useful for a bit of preparation but nothing to lead your life by, and don't get wound up by what they say. The apply2medicine book says you should have like, 6 months prep and 20 hours of interview practice before you do the real thing and I did absolutely nothing like that and I've managed two offers so far. Just familiarise yourself with the key questions and do a bit of research. Any public speaking that you could do would be good practice as well. If you truly will be a good doctor that will shine through any façade an interview book could try to make.
username356927
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Presidential)
are u serious ? the 150 questions book is excellent.
I never said it wasn't, just that most of the specific questions weren't all that helpful to me in my interviews. I was not once asked 'why medicine?'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%