Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, i was just sitting in the kitchen, reading a book and vaguely talking to my mum at the same time, when suddenly she got all grumpy and started going "i really can't understand why, when i'm doing housework, you don't ever help me. you aren't doing anything, why do you not help me peg socks up/empty the dishwasher/clean the sideboard. stephen [younger brother] always helps if he sees me doing something?" etc. it was at that point that i noticed that she was hanging up the washing.

now, if she'd asked me to help her put out the washing, then i would have obliged - i have no problem with laundry and housework, i'm not some inherently lazy arse who thinks that my mum is some kind of unpaid servant. but the fact is that i honestly do not even notice housework. if there is dirty crockery on the side, it doesn't even register with me; i neither know nor care if someone is doing laundry. i'm not averse to helping if someone points out that there is a need for me to do so; but i find the entire thing so completely unimportant that i genuinely don't even notice it normally.

i tried to explain this to my mum, but she just got grumpy and acted like i was a complete freak of nature. surely i can't be the only person in the world who really could not give a flying **** about the number of cups sitting on a radiator??? or does everyone here actually notice housework and do it??? i'm sorry, this is a slightly pointless post, but i just really don't understand the way she reacted. it's not that i'm intentionally not doing housework - it just never occurs to me that it needs doing, and i really hate being nagged for being annoying when it's completely accidental.

aaaaaaaaaargh.

ReputationRep:
    OMG. i got my head bitten off yesterday cos i didnt take some emty cups that wreeon the comp table down to the kitchen. when i mentioned that they hadnt even registered with me even though i had been on the computer i got a lecture too. i'm just like u, i dont notice things that need to be done. in contrast though i dont particularly like housework. it just bores me, especially ironing and the washing up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramy)
    OMG. i got my head bitten off yesterday cos i didnt take some emty cups that wreeon the comp table down to the kitchen. when i mentioned that they hadnt even registered with me even though i had been on the computer i got a lecture too. i'm just like u, i dont notice things that need to be done. in contrast though i dont particularly like housework. it just bores me, especially ironing and the washing up
    lol, i wouldn't call housework exciting - it's just that i don't mind doing it if someone asks. but yeh, i actually find it odd that it bothers my mum... she comes into the house and the first thing she notices is stray cups! i like stray cups, they are convenient.

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean.. although when you have cranberry juice up here for several days ..then it's averse conveniance... i do notice mess and it bothers me but i have an inability to rid myself of it .. tragic huh

ReputationRep:
    I notice but i prefer not to do it.

ReputationRep:
    housework! hahahah!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my mum had a fit about my laziness before.

I said if she ever asks i'll help out, to get the response that I should do it without being asked. She b*llocked me for leaving crumbs on the chopping board the other day :rolleyes:

She's also starting to whine about the fact that when she comes home at lunch sometimes, i'm still in bed... hmm

hehe oh well, mums will be mums

ReputationRep:
    Oh good gracious bless the Virgin Mary. My mum is AWFUL when it comes to nagging and housework. I voluntarily do quite a bit because a) I think I do a neater job than the others and b) my mum is menopausal enough and needs keeping at bay.

I always do the dishwasher, occasional hoovering, make the beds in a morning, clean the conservatory roof [christ i hate doing that it breaks my back]. I also serve drinks at my rents' dinner parties, but last time I shouted at one of their guests who was rude to me. Never got asked to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    This always happens to me

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have a threhold between what is 'mess' and what is 'a room being used'. It jus seems to be higher than anyone else's.

Looking around this computer desk I can see a heap of games cases with the incorrect discs in, open magazines and their supplements, about 4 months worth of Amazon receipts and jiffy bags, and a wrapper that used to contain an ink cartridge. Oh, and a sheet I printed with cheats on it. But it just doesn't bother me, although it sounds bad as I type about it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when parents compare you to your other siblings and they start smirking at you, acting all good. GOD that annoys the hell outta me! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: my mum yelled at me too coz i didnt do the ironing!
    and then she started going on bout how i should learn to cook coz im going to uni this yr.. but im going catered :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeah my mum does that alll the freakin time.

she doesnt seem to understand that i just dont notice.

it drives me up the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annik)
    :eek: my mum yelled at me too coz i didnt do the ironing!
    and then she started going on bout how i should learn to cook coz im going to uni this yr.. but im going catered :confused:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'll do stuff if I'm asked and if I notice it, but I have the same general problem. I find it heps to clean the house and make an effort every few weeks, and that usually keeps me safe. I'm quite a tidy person though, I don't like mess, so I can get some self-satisfaction out of cleaning and then sitting down in a nice, tidy room. Plus, I always listen to music or watch a film while I'm cleaning to make it enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    i love house work

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.