The Student Room Group

Work Experience

I've been browsing some jobs over the last few hours and I've noticed that all of them require at least 12 months work experience.

Say I just graduated with Internet Management and Spanish.... how on earth am I susposed to get a job if noone if going to give you a job? How did you gain this work experience?

I was thinking.... maybe you could use for 3rd year abroad to work in a field... would this be possible?

Thanks.
You are allowed to do a work placement on your year abroad if you can find one and if your university approves it. A lot of universities also advertise placements and job opportunities during the summer holidays through their careers service.
Yes; of course you can do a 3rd year placement, but that's not what these companies will be looking for, IMHO. If a company asks for 12 months' experience, then it simply means that they expect you to have spent 12 months learning the ropes in a similar job. What job do you want? Start by looking at the graduate schemes that most blue-chips have - by definition, they don't require any experience!
Reply 3
kellywood_5
You are allowed to do a work placement on your year abroad if you can find one and if your university approves it. A lot of universities also advertise placements and job opportunities during the summer holidays through their careers service.

what sort of work? could it be considered as work experience for your future job?
Reply 4
write/email consulates/embassies/banks etc, ask them for work experience during your holidays etc.

once you're at uni, the modern langs dept there should be plying you with info about different courses/programmes/opportunities abroad that you can take part in. if not, look for things yourself. my friend recently spent 3 weeks in spain teaching children on a summer camp placement. she found out about it through the internet.
Reply 5
Clarkey_Berlin
Yes; of course you can do a 3rd year placement, but that's not what these companies will be looking for, IMHO. If a company asks for 12 months' experience, then it simply means that they expect you to have spent 12 months learning the ropes in a similar job. What job do you want? Start by looking at the graduate schemes that most blue-chips have - by definition, they don't require any experience!

blue chips?
Well-established, multinational companies (like IBM, for example).
Reply 7
Clarkey_Berlin
Well-established, multinational companies (like IBM, for example).

Nice one thanks! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending