What can I do with a History Degree

Watch
MJlover
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah if I get a 1st from my first choice Uni (LSE) what can I do as a career??
Can I work in finance...I'm average/slightly naff with maths.
Is there no hope for me in the Financial sector?
What else can I do?
ToryGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Who do history if you want to work in finance? Surely economic/maths would be better....?

With history you can go into loads of things, obviously the traditional teaching, then graduate training schemes, management, HR, PR, journalism, politics, lots of people go into law.... loads of things, basically.
Adorno
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
What else can I do?
Jobs that actually have a point other than the creation of vast amounts of wealth from dubious versions of gambling? A history degree has large numbers of transferable skills which you can put to use in jobs from a lawyer to a social worker, teacher to journalist. Why focus on finance?
RiverRubble
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
museum
MJlover
Rep:
(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
Are you doing Maths A level?
so far from it.
MJlover
Rep:
(Original post by Adorno)
Jobs that actually have a point other than the creation of vast amounts of wealth from dubious versions of gambling? A history degree has large numbers of transferable skills which you can put to use in jobs from a lawyer to a social worker, teacher to journalist. Why focus on finance?
I just wanna be rich quick. I used to wanna be a human rights lawyer, but thats loooong [and expensive].
Kash:)
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I know someone who did history degree and is now an accountant.
03jenniferp
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
who knows what you can do with a history degree, I personally have no idea yet about what i might do with mine when I get it. Hopefully I can figure out something when I'm at uni!
Adorno
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I just wanna be rich quick. I used to wanna be a human rights lawyer, but thats loooong [and expensive].
Oh well, history cannot help you. It is a subject for people who actually have a heart and care about the world, not just personal financial gain. Try politics instead.
MJlover
Rep:
(Original post by Adorno)
Oh well, history cannot help you. It is a subject for people who actually have a heart and care about the world, not just personal financial gain. Try politics instead.
:bawling: You're making me feel awful. Seriously I wanted to be a human rights barrister and help people out of Guantanamo bay, but its so expensive to do a GDL and BVC, way out of my financial league. I want to pay my debts quickly.
MJlover
Rep:
(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
I take that as a no then?

Anyway, you're an ethnic minority right?

Apply through:

http://www.seo-london.com/

When you’re in uni for spring week internships and summer internships, when your in your second year. It will increase your chances immensely. Also, there is teaching and other professional jobs you can apply for through there.

Also, what did you get in your gcse maths?
a below an A and a B but above a D. Shameful , I know. My GCSE didn't go to well.

Safe for the link
MJlover
Rep:
Will a degree from LSE help anything?
Adorno
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
:bawling: You're making me feel awful. Seriously I wanted to be a human rights barrister and help people out of Guantanamo bay, but its so expensive to do a GDL and BVC, way out of my financial league. I want to pay my debts quickly.
Yeah but you don't do that to "get rich quick" either. IF you want to do things that involve aiding the people in the world that have the least there are numerous ways which don't involve prostituting yourself to Capitalism.
Adorno
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Haychee)
Without capitalism you wouldn't be sitting in your chair and writing pretencious crap on a computer about saving the world.
Well, technically I work for the government so no it's not capitalism.
MJlover
Rep:
OI who neg repped me?
Thomassss
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
What else can I do?
You could work at the foreign office, and try and get them not to expoit people like they have for the past 200 years
Mirose
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Be like Ross from Friends
Flipsta
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I've chosen to do History & Sociology because its what I like in academics. After doing this degree I plan on doing a conversion into Law. Studying history gives you many skills which are transferable into the work place. You've found your first step in finding a career as you've chosen the subject you like (I assume) so next you've got to find what you can do with the degree and whether you want to do a conversion. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point in time. Give yourself time to gel into a university atmosphere as your decision may change between now and then as you may be inspired by something whilst at uni.
userna-me*
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Become a History teacher.
Adorno
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Haychee)
Ah you work for the Labour government?
In a roundabout way yes. Though it's more the case that I'm a research council-funded PhD history student that I'm on about.

How's that slow destruction of our freedoms working out for you?
Well we haven't quite locked up David Cameron and George Osborne for being spackheads yet but we're working on it, as you can imagine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads