Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this may be a bit of a stupid question but i dunno the answer so here goes.
    Are Med/Dentistry/VetMed degrees given classifications like 1st, 2:1 etc.? Its just you never hear any1 talk about them in this way, you only ever hear 'I have a Medicine Degree' or 'I have a Dentistry degree'.
    If they do still have certain levels, is it as improtant for these degrees? I mean is a doctor with a 3rd likely to get a job?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can answer your question for medicine, I'd imagine the others would be the same. There aren't any classifications primarily for the "i don't want a 3rd class doctor" reason. There are opportunities to achieve distinctions and get an "honours" degree e.g MB ChB(Hons). Degrees with honours are typically awarded to about 15-20% of the year but this varies with medical schools, each having their own issue criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    Degrees with honours are typically awarded to about 15-20% of the year...
    15-20%? Woah! I thought most people got honours! Oh well, I've learned something! (I'm only 15 so I don't know much about uni degrees! So no, i can't answer your question either )

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    At Nottingham, everyone does a BMedSci (Hons) degree which is classified just like any other degree in addition to the MBBS

A small proportion (5 to 10%ish) graduate with honours.

To achieve Honours, you have to have scored over 70% in 4 out of 8 of the assessments in the 4th year, including some of the clinical exams (which is harder than it sounds!) and average over 70% in 5th year.

You can also get a distinction in a particular specialty if you perform outstandingly in it and are asked to (and pass) a distinction viva

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    15-20%? Woah! I thought most people got honours! Oh well, I've learned something! (I'm only 15 so I don't know much about uni degrees! So no, i can't answer your question either )

MissSurfer
    With 99% of degrees, you're correct. Degrees with honours outside medicine/vetsci/denistry (I think that's all) are given to students who achieve 1sts, 2.1s, 2.2s and even 3rds.

With medicine, honours = a collection of distinctions/merits, so it's not gonna be as widespread (I suppose you could equate distinctions with 1sts).

(Original post by joyabbott)
    A small proportion (5 to 10%ish) graduate with honours.
    Yeah, I think I was being a bit optimistic with the 15-20% figure, I checked and it's more like 10% for Bristol. Got the feeling that it's too much hard work and I'd rather get a 1st in my intercalation year and forget about the "hons" afterwards

ReputationRep:
    I see. Thanks for clarifying that, Miles!

ReputationRep:
    At Sheffield, for BDS:

BDS Honours if you get over 65% in most of your exams
    BDS Distinction if you get over 75% in most of your exams and pass vivas in the subjects.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2005

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.