Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you can quote stuff, like educational things, from TSR?? :confused:

Coz someone wrote something useful in one of my homework threads (I pos repped them of course), and I wanted to use this information in an assignment coz it's heaps relevant! :cool:

Would I have to say who the person is, or could I just go 'someone from TSR said this about this topic', e.g. in bioinformatics or something.

Thanks,

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    that doesnt sound like the cleverest idea in the world, TSR is hardly a reputable source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    that doesnt sound like the cleverest idea in the world, TSR is hardly a reputable source.
    But they said something extremely relevant to my research topic...

The person who said this is doing a post-grad degree in a related subject.

I guess I could just use the info, find it elsewhere and quote it from there, then.

ReputationRep:
    It would be similar to referencing someone you met at a bus-stop just because they had an in-depth knowledge of Chaos Theory (!) I personally don't like referencing from the net at all, but if you must, include a URL in the bibliography. Quoting someone on a messageboard as part of an assignment isn't good show though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    It would be similar to referencing someone you met at a bus-stop just because they had an in-depth knowledge of Chaos Theory (!) I personally don't like referencing from the net at all, but if you must, include a URL in the bibliography. Quoting someone on a messageboard as part of an assignment isn't good show though.
    I can see it now an article in the BMJ, references: TSR

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fair enough, what I might do is try to find a journal article with similar information as what I was told on here :cool:

Thanks,

Cya,

DB_x

ReputationRep:
    surely whoever you want to quote will have got that information from somewhere else; if not, they should have published it themselves :p: so ask them where they learnt that information, and reference that instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Yeah fair enough, what I might do is try to find a journal article with similar information as what I was told on here :cool:

Thanks,

Cya,

DB_x
    Ask the dude or girl where the info was from, use that source instead.

That should be ok, aslong as the dude or girl don't give another forum's address lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Ask the dude or girl where the info was from, use that source instead.

That should be ok, aslong as the dude or girl don't give another forum's address lol
    Lol that would be annoying now :p: Yep, just sent the member a PM, chances are this person's prolly still asleep but will hopefully get it by tomorrow morning (for me!!) as the assignments due then

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.