Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spongebobfan)
    I don't agree, however, that resits should be scrapped.
    I think they should be changed back to the old system, your allowed to retake a module once, or else youve gotta retake the whole a level. Yes you can have a bad day but you cant argue that every time youve retaken the same module, you had a bad day. there are now 4, sometimes 6 exam sessions in two years, and some people just retake so much, end up spending over £100 per session on retakes and then on the last session they have to revise for about 25 exams

ReputationRep:
    i dont know how we can say a-levels are easier, for that to be the case we would all have to do every a-level to comment.

I did French, German, Maths and Further Maths, as i got all As in them at GCSE and i am a hard worker and they were no way easy at a-level!

I think the only reason the a-level pass rate is higher and more people are getting As is because of the subjects they do. There has been a 500% increase in the number of people studying media, as it is an easier option compared with something like physics.

If people were forced to do sciences and languages do you think the pass rate would be so high?
    The level of easyness is simply to do with the subjects you do. Im sure if i did sociology, psychology and RE i would get As just from what my friends have told me. From my subjects i will not get all As, but it does not mean i am less intelligent to someone who got all As, coz im sure i will have worked harder than them for my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you once only, A-levels are getting so easier and easier and easier so get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you once only, A-levels are getting so easier and easier and easier so get used to it.
    Perhaps when you learn to put across your opinion properly people might take some notice of what you have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)
    I think the only reason the a-level pass rate is higher and more people are getting As is because of the subjects they do. There has been a 500% increase in the number of people studying media, as it is an easier option compared with something like physics.

If people were forced to do sciences and languages do you think the pass rate would be so high?
    The level of easyness is simply to do with the subjects you do. Im sure if i did sociology, psychology and RE i would get As just from what my friends have told me. From my subjects i will not get all As, but it does not mean i am less intelligent to someone who got all As, coz im sure i will have worked harder than them for my subjects.
    Although I can't be too harsh on someone sensible enough to have chosen to do French at uni :hello: I have to disagree. It bugs me when people say certain subjects are easier than others as much as when they say exams are easier now than they used to be. Even if someone had taken both physics and media and said media was easy, that doesn't prove anything other than that they personally found it harder; it doesn't mean someone else doing those subjects would agree. As you don't study either subject, how can you one is harder than the other?

Of course the pass rate wouldn't be as high if people were forced to do sciences and languages; not because those subjects are any harder than others, but because if you're forced to do a subject you don't enjoy and aren't good at, you won't do well. I'm not going to say you wouldn't have got AAA if you'd taken psychology, sociology and RS because obviously I don't know, but neither do you and just because your friends find them easy doesn't mean you would. So would you say, if someone got AAA in the afforementioned subjects and you got BBCC in yours, they were of equal/lesser intellect?

Anyway, that's my rant over. Good luck getting the grades for your firm! Sheffield might be one of my choices for French and Spanish, it looks really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itz_ant)
    I suggest make the papers harder by adding on extension papers.
    If it's graded so that only 20% get an A, the ppl who got the A don't necessarily have to be clever. Could have been a particularly stupid year group
    They're called AEA papers. There are adequate measures to assess brilliant talents in subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Some probably are.

Maths certainly is, with the re-packaging to create the "Core" modules as opposed to the "Pure" modules they explicitly said it was to make Maths A-level easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Some probably are.

Maths certainly is, with the re-packaging to create the "Core" modules as opposed to the "Pure" modules they explicitly said it was to make Maths A-level easier.
    Thats true, but its not a great deal easier. They designed it to make it more 'accessible' to the masses of students. There is also a good reason for this as we see the decline in the number of students taking up Maths-- its such a fundamental subject. Besides, those that are talented at Maths, now have the option to take up further maths.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, I'd have to say "Yes". Back in the days when I did my A-levels (back in the depths of the late-90's), you had a couple of big exams at the end of the two years rather than modules and synoptic papers. For those of you doing A2 now, imagine two three-hour synoptic papers and you've an idea of what the 'old' A-level was like.

That's not to say that the content is getting any easier, I think that it is similar in its easiness/hardness as it was 8 years ago, but the module structure and the availability of AS has made the act of studying the subject much easier.

For instance, you can now re-take a module that you've not done so well on. In the old-syle A-level, if you wanted to improve your grade, you had to re-sit the whole thing.

So, basically, I'm saying that yes, they have gotten easier.

Edit: Sorry, should have said that this post is based around the Biology AS/A2/A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Anyway, that's my rant over. Good luck getting the grades for your firm! Sheffield might be one of my choices for French and Spanish, it looks really good.
    i do agree with what you say to some degree, coz how well you do depends on how much you enjoy the subject, which is why i picked languages and maths as i like them the most. And im not sayin people who pick easier subjects are of less intelligence just that some people just pick them because they are *easier*.
    I just get annoyed when ppl say they are easy, coz ive struggled through my a-levels.
    Anyway i hope to see you at sheffield! Good luck on thursday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_lou)
    i do agree with what you say to some degree, coz how well you do depends on how much you enjoy the subject, which is why i picked languages and maths as i like them the most. And im not sayin people who pick easier subjects are of less intelligence just that some people just pick them because they are *easier*.
    I just get annoyed when ppl say they are easy, coz ive struggled through my a-levels.
    Anyway i hope to see you at sheffield! Good luck on thursday!
    I know, all this crap in the media is really disheartening Thanks for the luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalish)
    In my experience, I'd have to say "Yes". Back in the days when I did my A-levels (back in the depths of the late-90's), you had a couple of big exams at the end of the two years rather than modules and synoptic papers. For those of you doing A2 now, imagine two three-hour synoptic papers and you've an idea of what the 'old' A-level was like.

That's not to say that the content is getting any easier, I think that it is similar in its easiness/hardness as it was 8 years ago, but the module structure and the availability of AS has made the act of studying the subject much easier.

For instance, you can now re-take a module that you've not done so well on. In the old-syle A-level, if you wanted to improve your grade, you had to re-sit the whole thing.

So, basically, I'm saying that yes, they have gotten easier.

Edit: Sorry, should have said that this post is based around the Biology AS/A2/A Level
    Nice post.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.