Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Astronomers detect '10th planet'.

"Designated 2003 UB313, it is about 3,000km across, a world of rock and ice and somewhat larger than Pluto. Scientists say it is three times as far away as Pluto, in an orbit at an angle to the orbits of the other planets. Astronomers think that at some point in its history, Neptune likely flung it into its highly-inclined 44-degree orbit."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm#map

ReputationRep:
    better late than never eh....

ReputationRep:
    Old news AFAIK.
    We were being taught about the effect this tenth planet had on the orbit of Pluto and Neptune, and how by studying the orbits it was obvious there was a tenth planet.

ReputationRep:
    Makes for good-reading, nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    i did 16 days ago when it was actually proven...i recommend reading the newspapers/watching the news.
    unless you haven't noticed yet...we won the second world war, and the football world cup - hope it doesn't come as too great a shock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    i did 16 days ago when it was actually proven...i recommend reading the newspapers/watching the news.
    unless you haven't noticed yet...we won the second world war, and the football world cup - hope it doesn't come as too great a shock
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Does it actually revolve around our sun tho?

ReputationRep:
    yep

i knew about it.very intersting though...smaller than our moon :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I discovered that planet, 4 years ago.

Amateurs.

ReputationRep:
    This 'new' planet just further proves Pluto as the most infamous 'planet' yet.
    I think its time to change our figures on how many planets there are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hk_1_kinobi)
    Does it actually revolve around our sun tho?
    If it didn't, it wouldn't be a planet..

ReputationRep:
    Interesting....I hadn't heard about this new planet til now...thanks for letting us know

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    although this was in the news a couple of weeks ago, it still makes interesting reading, and not everyone may have heard about it!

wasnt it officially discovered in 2003, but it is only now that scientists have officially confirmed it? I know that some scientists are also debating whether Pluto constitutes being a planet in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Astronomers detect '10th planet'.

"Designated 2003 UB313, it is about 3,000km across, a world of rock and ice and somewhat larger than Pluto. Scientists say it is three times as far away as Pluto, in an orbit at an angle to the orbits of the other planets. Astronomers think that at some point in its history, Neptune likely flung it into its highly-inclined 44-degree orbit."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm#map
    god, the BBC are slow...
    (Original post by BBC)
    Saturday, 30 July 2005
    i knew about that beginning of june...

ReputationRep:
    I've just eaten it.. It no longer exists.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    god, the BBC are slow...

i knew about that beginning of june...
    :dito:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Its called sedna isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Now we decide on what to name it. I say we call it 'Demeter,' seeing as Greek names for gods are infinitely cooler than the Roman ones.

Edit: Well I guess Sedna isn't too bad.

i wanna name it blasphemy...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.