The Student Room Group

Weird Electrical Fault - Yamaha SR 125 Motorbike

Ok, so I bought an SR 125 for my 16th birthday last year and she ran fine for about 3 months and then for some reason she gave out.

After some time in the garage and some tinkering with the carb my uncle and I got her running again about 3 months after the initial failure, again ran fine for about 3 weeks until she gave out completely, I turn on the ignition, engine switch is on and there's nothing, no power at all, no lights, horn zilch. The battery's fully charged and I want to fix her up in time for the summer.

Does anyone have any ideas because I'm stumped?
Reply 1
Have you checked the ground and the fuses/connections?

Obvious things first!
Reply 2
Battery connections/cables - does the ground connect properly? I'm not sure how it works on a bike, but on tractors the -ve terminal goes straight off the battery onto the chassis, via a bolt. This can become corroded and as the resistance there increases you get more and more of a creeping problem until everything dies. Take it apart, grind/sand/file it back to bare metal and replace.
I started to change the falk seals on my 1997 SR 125 and when doing it the clocks and all the wires dropped and on or two have disconnected!! And cannot get any power at all! Can anyone help with this problem please??
The 1997 is a great bike. Stubborn to all hell though.Got a problem of my own that you might have some insight on. Replaced the carburetor for a new one a couple of days ago.There are two wires that attach to the old one.When I replaced the carb and attached these wires I must have done something wrong because now the bike won't start at all.Tried to start it up, neutral light flickered and then died.No power to anything. And nothing happens when I turn the key.Maybe you ran into this problem and if so, any ideas because beyond taking it to a mechanic which I don't want to do (strapped for funds) I'm completely stumped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending