Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name: Catherine
    Uni and course: Manchester Met - English
    Year (as of Spetember 2005): 2nd Year
    Halls: 1st Year - Cambridge, 2nd Year - House
    Interests: Music; indie, pop, rock, funky house, dance. Nights Out; especially Rock City in Nottingham. Partying; Good times. Football and Cricket; Nottingham Forest and Notts Outlaws - Living Legends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui Audet Vincit)
    man utd supporter, typical foreigner!
    As you will discover, a large number of United supporters were born, and still live, in Manchester

ReputationRep:
    hmmm the only thing i have seen in 5 yrs here is mancunian man city supporters throwing bottles at manchester utd shirt wearing students!

Out of the hundreds of staff i know at uni only 3 are man u supporters!

ReputationRep:
    Name: Hannah
    Uni and course: Manchester University, History
    Year (as of Spetember 2005): 1st Year
    Halls: Dalton Ellis
    Interests: Music, gigs, pubs/clubs, travelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmoore83)
    hmmm the only thing i have seen in 5 yrs here is mancunian man city supporters throwing bottles at manchester utd shirt wearing students!

What? Must be in a different Manchester to the one I was born in, taught in and have lived in for most of life. When was the last time you ventured out to Salford or Wythenshawe? Ancoats or Blackley? In any part of the city you will find a huge number of fans of both teams, with predominamce for one team or another in some suburbs.

To say you've lived in Manchester for 5 years and not seen local United fans is unbelievable.

Methinks you've listened to too much Blue propoganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ancientone)
    What? Must be in a different Manchester to the one I was born in, taught in and have lived in for most of life. When was the last time you ventured out to Salford or Wythenshawe? Ancoats or Blackley? In any part of the city you will find a huge number of fans of both teams, with predominamce for one team or another in some suburbs.

To say you've lived in Manchester for 5 years and not seen local United fans is unbelievable.

Methinks you've listened to too much Blue propoganda.
    no i have walked the streets of manc including wythenshawe and the likes. Thing that always sticks in my mind is the student wearing the man utd top getting bottled in the face outside orange grove!

ReputationRep:

It is a great local legend that one, is it not, ancientone?

As a Mancunian born and bred (as a City fan, naturally!), one has to say that there are loads of reds about, as well as blues. Obviously around the 'academic wedge' of the city you will get more City fans, because Maine Road was a stone's throw away. However, like ancientone says, certain parts of the city are predominently United-supporting, just as certain parts tend to support City.

Having said all this however, though there are plenty about, I've yet to meet a United fan at university who hails from these parts. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no i have walked the streets of manc including wythenshawe and the likes. Thing that always sticks in my mind is the student wearing the man utd top getting bottled in the face outside orange grove!
    I don't dispute that happens, but the fact is that there's a huge number of people in Manchester who are United fans like myself who were born here. To say you've lived in Manchester for five years and not seen local fans is unbelievable. I was born in Wythenshawe and taught in Blackley and there are huge numbers of local reds in both places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marchy)
    It is a great local legend that one, is it not, ancientone?

As a Mancunian born and bred (as a City fan, naturally!), one has to say that there are loads of reds about, as well as blues. Obviously around the 'academic wedge' of the city you will get more City fans, because Maine Road was a stone's throw away. However, like ancientone says, certain parts of the city are predominently United-supporting, just as certain parts tend to support City.

Having said all this however, though there are plenty about, I've yet to meet a United fan at university who hails from these parts. :rolleyes:
    Glad to hear from another manc at the Uni! I don't, and never have disputed cities support in the city, and I can take the banter with the blues about it, but I am heartily fed up with defending my teams local roots in my home city.

Newton Heath for Gods sake!

Maybe you can now say you've talked to a local red who's a student at the uni. For the record there's 2 local reds on my course. Good to hear from you Marchy!

ReputationRep:
    No worries mate!

Obviously United do have the reputation for being supported by a load of out of towners, but I suppose when you're in a university that's inevitable. They don't give the club the best reputation though; for example, and though I accept the rivalry, the United fans were conspicuous in their absence from the Woolton bar for this year's Champions' League final. Everyone else from all over the country were getting behind Liverpool and it was a great atmosphere. That's the first time I've stood up and applauded a television since... well since we came back from 3-0 down with 10 men to win 4-3 away at Tottenham in the FA Cup a few years ago.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better do the whole introduction thing, since I really don't want to hijack the thread for the purpose of football, noble purpose though it may be:

Name: Chris
    Uni and course: University of Manchester, BA (Econ) Accounting & Finance
    Year (as of Spetember 2005): 2nd Year
    Halls: Woolton Hall (this year and last)
    Interests: Manchester City FC, football, cricket (yes, I've jumped on the Ashes bandwagon too), walking, t'internet and computers, going to gigs.

ReputationRep:
    Sound Marchy-and I have problems with fans of my club as well- like leaving Old Trafford empty with 10 minutes play still to go. You're right about not hijacking the thread though. I'm too old to introduce myself on this thread but I'm sure we'll talk again.

ReputationRep:
    Name: Michael
    Uni and course: The University of Manchester, ComSci and Maths
    Year (as of Spetember 2005): Fresher
    Halls: Oak House (Tutor)
    Interests: Video Games, Eating, Cinema, Fitness training...

ReputationRep:
    another local united fan here. born and brought up in salford where i can say about 80% of people interested in football support united, just go to any local pub on a match day!
    i admit i couldnt support liverpool in the champions league - terrible isnt it!
    i like the rivalry with city but a little part of me still wants them to do well...just not better than united (you wont be 2nd in the league for long - bring on sunday!!)

back on topic -
    Name: Rachel
    Uni and course: The University of Manchester, Music
    Halls: whitworth (Aberdeen)
    Interests: Music, united, most sports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qui Audet Vincit)
    man utd supporter, typical foreigner
    what i meant was that people from other countries always seem to support man utd, the world is full of stupid ppl, ppl should support a real team

EFC RULE!

BACK to topic:

Name: James
    Uni and course: The University of Manchester, Materials Science And Engineering (MEng)
    Year (as of Spetember 2005): 1st
    Halls: Hulme Hall, Plymouth Block
    Interests: Rugby (playing and watching), football (watching mainly), the england and WALES cricket team (ITS NOT JUST ENGLAND YOU KNOW!), Computers,

ReputationRep:
    Since people from abroad have no local allegiances they tend to support the team whose style of play they like.... I don't support Man Utd just because there Man Utd- they play good, exciting football....Just like i support Barcelona in the spanish league...

Football is always a fiery issue

ReputationRep:
    hmm...I call it glory supporting, its not as if they play the nicest football, i think that'd be arsenal - flair or day i say it chelsea - real english set piece football. you could always support a real team like everton, who play as a team rather than a group of stars

ReputationRep:
    just a random and slightly off topic question... what is everyone's favourite drink? alcoholic of course...

i'll start : jack daniels, on ice.

ReputationRep:
    brains smooth, brewed in cardiff

its a nice bitter, the best really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    Name: Michael
    Uni and course: The University of Manchester, ComSci and Maths
    Halls: Oak House (Tutor)
    Interests: Video Games, Eating, Cinema, Fitness training...
    hey hey i'm a tutor here too Michael....Holly Team guessing your Sycamore team.

Dave

ReputationRep:
    wahey, loadsa ppl into their indy music! Very niceee! Bring on tha mooosic!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 7, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.