The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yes. tell me when you find out :smile:

If I speak for more than around a minute or less, my throat starts to close up :/ not good
Reply 2
Yes, I used to. When I was 13 I used to shake and sweat soooooooo badly during them.
At uni I still didn't like them and would feel a bit nervous but didn't have such an extreme reaction.
I think I got over it 100% when I started teaching! Obviously as a teacher I'm effectively doing "public speaking" for most of my day, and really you learn to swallow the fear very quickly, knowing that you owe it to your students to present information confidently and coherently.
I also did a lot of drama and music while at school and university, so this combined with naturally increasing maturity that comes with age probably helped to squash it.

Don't worry too much about suffering with it; I know it's horrible to go through, but you certainly aren't the first or last to go through it and you're extremely likely to get over it just with time :smile:
I'm absolutely terrified before, I can't sleep for about a week before I know I have to do one..
Yet on the day, for some reason, I'm completely fine, and always do well. So I know that my nerves are completely irrational, but I just cannot help the way I am!
I get extreme anxiety in the hours before I'm due to give the presentation and during it I feel like I'm going to die. That's not an exaggeration. That's how fast and hard my heart goes. But, if I give a presentation to children or people older than me, I'm fine. It's presentations in front of my peers that makes me feel I'm going to collapse.

Latest