Turn on thread page Beta

Any chance of me getting in med school? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have really rubbish A level grades but im doing a degree in sports science and thinking of applying after. What if I did work experience in nursing a few hours each week for a year?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. However, I would reccommend you contact the university admissions for the med school you were thinking of applying to and see what they say.

Good luck anyway

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    Medicine being the most competitive course in the country, you'd have to prove why you are better than (on average) 37 other people. In most medical schools, there is one place for 37 people. Without good A-Levels and GCSE grades, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Most prospective applicants will have great academic appraisals, good records of achievement, excellent references, and, ontop of that, they will have good Work Experience. I would say your chances are slim. But that is not to say you are at a losses end, you're not; but the chances are slim, sorry. Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you contact the member, "Fluffy" and ask her your questions. She is a 2nd year Med student who knows her stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I don't know. However, I would reccommend you contact the university admissions for the med school you were thinking of applying to and see what they say.

Good luck anyway

MissSurfer
    I was thinking of Manchester though they dont have a pre med year.

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about 4 year GEP?

ReputationRep:
    In a word - no.

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, with medecine being so competative, the answer is probably no unless you take a year out to get better grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gubber)
    have you thought about 4 year GEP?
    Whats that pre med school?

ReputationRep:
    Is a "4 year GEP" a foundation course? Because I think it's easier to get in with a foundation course (i.e. adding an extra year to the course duration to relearn and review everything that you'll need). And then you'll have a sound understanding of what you need to know, making your university years easier.

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.